Author Topic: Ye Religion Thread  (Read 1036983 times)

Offline DaHanG

• Carpal Tunnel Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
Re: Ye Religion Thread
« Reply #690 on: January 25, 2007, 06:04:46 PM »
Quote from: reaper
i guess you don't believe in the holy spirit, to each his own.
Quote from: dahang
and you do? i thought you were a theist, but not a christian???

or do you like this idea that man created as well???

i believe in a personal god of mankind.  one that can read your mind, and destroy/alter/create the "universe".  and by believe, i mean i think it's likely such a god exists.  i do not believe in the holy spirit, i haven't been to church in ten years; the bread sucks, the wine sucks, only eighty year old women - why go?

although the bible is not the word of god (nor inspired by him) in my opinion, church is still a good thing for feeling good and having a sense of community. maybe that's why you'd go :>.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Well-Reasoned Argument and/or Conclusion
    Demonstrates Exceptional Knowlege of the Game
    Appears Not to Comprehend Game Fundamentals
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Whoosh! You done missed the joke thar Cletus!
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Preposterously Irrational Arguments
    Blindingly Obvious Logical Fallacies
    Absurd Misconstrual of Scientific Principles or Evidence
    Amazing Conspiracy Theory Bro
    Racist Ignoramus
"this guy is either trolling or one of the dumbest people I've ever talked to"

"there it is - 5 completely idiotic sentences out of the 7 that were addressed to me."

Offline DaHanG

• Carpal Tunnel Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #691 on: January 25, 2007, 06:13:09 PM »
Quote from: Whirlingdervish(Q2C)
"how can we have free will, if God knows what is going to happen to us?"
My having knowledge that my son would end up in jail if he continued to behave in a certain way in no way infringed on his "free will" to continue the behavior that ended up with him spending 2 1/2 years in a federal pen in Texarkana. He had the "free will" to behave however he wanted, regardless of my knowing what was going to happen to him.

but if you truly "knew" he was going to jail, then he could not avoid it. with your son not being able to avoid it (no matter how hard he tried to), he does not have the freedom to change his future. if he did change his future, then you didn't "know" he would go to jail. free will implies an unseen future, so an all knowing god and free will are mutually exclusive.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 06:16:32 PM by DaHanG »
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

"there it is - 5 completely idiotic sentences out of the 7 that were addressed to me."

Offline quadz

• Loquaciously Multiloquent Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #692 on: January 25, 2007, 07:37:38 PM »
do you think i misquoted stephen hawking when he says that this universe is extremely improbable(paraphrased).
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
"He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious."

Offline reaper

• Opulent Member
  • Nice night for a walk, eh? - Nice night for a walk
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #693 on: January 25, 2007, 08:19:15 PM »
Quote from: quadz
Hmm, sorry.  Missed this somehow.  I've just searched "all posts by reaper" for the word "hawking" back to January 16th and I still missed it.  Can you give me a link to the post, or tell me chapter/page/book again?  Thx.

sure: a brief history of time, chapter 8 (stephen hawking)

"the remarkable fact is that the values of these numbers seem to have been very finely adjusted to make possible the development of life.  For example, if the electric charge of the electron had been only slighty different, stars either would have been unable to burn hydrogen and helium, or else they would not have exploded.
"

Quote from: reaper
i don't think he would like to rephrase his ideas like this:
IF there is a god
THEN we can't say if what happens before the big bang relates to what is happening after
But that's the goofy Flying Spaghetti Monster territory again.  That's the "you can't prove the Universe wasn't created three seconds ago" territory again.  It completely ignores the fact that the Universe appears to operate according to fundamental laws, and does not appear to deviate from these laws.  So it doesn't matter if the Flying Spaghetti Monster "could have" magically made something that happened before the Big Bang relate to something after.  All evidence points to: No.  Ignoring all the evidence is like betting against the sun coming up tomorrow.  Sure, it's possible it MIGHT not come up.  But that's not the way to bet.

for a programmer i guess your not good at reading IF statements.  if there is a god, how could you possible imagine we know how he operates, and what he can and can't do.  it's beyond comprehension, so it's silly to say he has to operate according to what we say are laws. 

watch science prove there should only be one big bang,  that would be some funny shit.  of course you guys would use some principle, and say something should just be there, and god is to complex - god is not likely.  but me, i would say that's ridiculous, i've always believed in god (like so many others), and you can believe in chance all you want!

just a thought  :nana:
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
VaeVictus "reaper is a lying sack of shit and ragequit then had, probably slugs, come alias and beat me, wasnt even the same person playing OBVIOUSLY, accuracies basicly doubled, and strategy

Offline DaHanG

• Carpal Tunnel Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #694 on: January 25, 2007, 09:04:51 PM »
one wonders if "chance" can't be applied to this incredibly statistically improbable being.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline quadz

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #695 on: January 25, 2007, 09:49:38 PM »
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
"He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious."

Offline QuakeDuke

• Swanky Member
  • Spring 2010
    • View Profile
    • Where to find me.
  • Rated:
« Reply #696 on: January 25, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »
My having knowledge that my son would end up in jail if he continued to behave in a certain way in no way infringed on his "free will" to continue the behavior that ended up with him spending 2 1/2 years in a federal pen in Texarkana. He had the "free will" to behave however he wanted, regardless of my knowing what was going to happen to him.
but if you truly "knew" he was going to jail, then he could not avoid it. with your son not being able to avoid it (no matter how hard he tried to), he does not have the freedom to change his future. if he did change his future, then you didn't "know" he would go to jail. free will implies an unseen future, so an all knowing god and free will are mutually exclusive.

Do you truly not understand what I said?  I would think simple logic would explain the concept. Knowledge of the end result of someones action does not mean that person cannot change the end result. What the heck do you think free will consists of? Free will does not imply an unseen (assuming by unseen you mean unknowable)  future. Free will implies making choices, and to make "good" choices you're going to have to "know" the results of actions good or bad. You are free to choose your behavior which will change your future positively or negatively depending on what the behavior consisted of, such as breaking the law (a bad example since these days no one is held accountable for their actions anyway).

Perhaps this might help. We can "know" if a person in school doesn't do the work, study, attend class (provided the school isn't one of the gutless wonders (many schools these days)  that pass everyone so no one will feel "slighted" in some way even though they really didn't make an effort)  you aren't going to get a degree. One of the problems with society today is the attitude of no accountability for actions - I deserve what I want regardless of whether or not I do one dang thing to achieve it or not - YOU owe it to me. Sheesh.

An all knowing god and free will would only be mutually exclusive if god did not allow a person to make their own choices and reap the consequences for said behavior because he knows the end result of the behavior. The concept you are talking about is  predestination and is a whole different subject altogether. Predestination and free will are mutually exclusive.

QD
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
-- There's a reason I live on a hill.....

Offline reaper

• Opulent Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #697 on: January 25, 2007, 10:48:24 PM »
I did notice that you seemed to have appeared to "stop" at a couple points in the chapter (such as the above), when Hawking continued on with reasoning about why you didn't necessarily need to stop there.

i recall what was said in the chapter, i don't see how it changes the relevance of what i've been saying.

Quote from: stephen h. wheelchair
One possible answer is to say that God chose the initial configuration of the universe for reasons that we cannot hope to understand. [[reaper: WHY ARE YOU STUCK HERE!!! ]]  This would certainly have been within the power of an omnipotent being, but if he had started it off in such an incomprehensible way, why did he choose to let it evolve according to laws that we could understantd?  The whole history of science has been the gradual realization that events to not happen in an arbitrary manner, but that they reflect a certain underlying order, which may or may not be divinely inspired.  It would only be natural to suppose that this order should apply not only to the laws, but also to the conditions at the boundary of space-time that specify the initial state of the unvierse.  There may be a large number of models of the universe with different initial conditions that all obey the laws.  There ought to be some principle that picks out one intial state, and hence one model, to represent our universe.

you can contemplate all you want about god, in the context above i think it's stupid to do so.
"There ought to be some principle that picks out one intial state, and hence one model, to represent our universe." - where is it?
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
VaeVictus "reaper is a lying sack of shit and ragequit then had, probably slugs, come alias and beat me, wasnt even the same person playing OBVIOUSLY, accuracies basicly doubled, and strategy

Offline DaHanG

• Carpal Tunnel Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #698 on: January 25, 2007, 11:05:43 PM »

Do you truly not understand what I said?  I would think simple logic would explain the concept. Knowledge of the end result of someones action does not mean that person cannot change the end result. What the heck do you think free will consists of? Free will does not imply an unseen (assuming by unseen you mean unknowable)  future. Free will implies making choices, and to make "good" choices you're going to have to "know" the results of actions good or bad. You are free to choose your behavior which will change your future positively or negatively depending on what the behavior consisted of, such as breaking the law (a bad example since these days no one is held accountable for their actions anyway).

Perhaps this might help. We can "know" if a person in school doesn't do the work, study, attend class (provided the school isn't one of the gutless wonders (many schools these days)  that pass everyone so no one will feel "slighted" in some way even though they really didn't make an effort)  you aren't going to get a degree. One of the problems with society today is the attitude of no accountability for actions - I deserve what I want regardless of whether or not I do one dang thing to achieve it or not - YOU owe it to me. Sheesh.

An all knowing god and free will would only be mutually exclusive if god did not allow a person to make their own choices and reap the consequences for said behavior because he knows the end result of the behavior. The concept you are talking about is  predestination and is a whole different subject altogether. Predestination and free will are mutually exclusive.

QD

free will - by definition - to me means the ability of making a choice completely independent of everything and everyone (which includes god's omniscience). your choice, and your choice only - and it cannot be predicted. we apparently have different opinions on free will.

edit*
i understand that it's not god's omniscience that somehow restricts people from making their own choices. i have no problem with this. it's that free will, by the way i view it, implies a certain "unknowability" about what the future may bring. i start with free will, and go from there. you start from god, and go from there. hence the difference in perspective.

it appears to be -
QD: compatible
free will ----------> free to make choices
god ----------> does not interfere, simply knows.

DHG: incompatible
free will ----------> all outcomes are possible (unpredictable)
god ----------> only certain outcomes are possible (since everything is already known)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 11:56:49 PM by DaHanG »
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline quadz

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #699 on: January 25, 2007, 11:11:54 PM »
"There ought to be some principle that picks out one intial state, and hence one model, to represent our universe." - where is it?

Where is it???
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline reaper

• Opulent Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #700 on: January 26, 2007, 12:43:09 AM »
Where is it???
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 12:59:08 AM by reaper »
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline quadz

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #701 on: January 26, 2007, 02:12:07 AM »
when stephen hawking starts making shit up about how god does things

There's a catch, though.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline reaper

• Opulent Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #702 on: January 26, 2007, 02:21:22 AM »
can't say i agree :!:

You are somehow able to determine what God can or can't do better than someone else?

that's close to the point i was making. 

Do you still believe that god _needs_ to form each lightning bolt?
i have no idea
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 02:26:46 AM by reaper »
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline quadz

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #703 on: January 26, 2007, 02:47:48 AM »
You are somehow able to determine what God can or can't do better than someone else?
that's close to the point i was making.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline DaHanG

• Carpal Tunnel Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #704 on: January 26, 2007, 09:40:50 AM »
reaper is a buddhist :>. brahman is all, and all is brahman!
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

El Box de Shoutamente

Last 10 Shouts:

RyU

September 03, 2024, 05:15:49 PM
And wow Derrick is still playing lol

RyU

September 03, 2024, 05:15:15 PM
Just know yesterday is gone and soon tomorrow will be gone too  :)

Lejionator

August 08, 2024, 07:28:01 PM
It's tiem to QuakeCon!!!  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThQd_UJaTys

ImperiusDamian

July 26, 2024, 09:34:53 PM
In nomine Quake II et Id Software et Spiritus John Carmack, Amen.

QuakeDuke

July 26, 2024, 05:10:30 PM
Hey, shout, summertime blues
Jump up and down in you blue suede shoes
Hey, did you rock and roll? Rock on!!  ...QD

Yotematoi

July 24, 2024, 01:31:20 PM
Ayer me mato 5 veces para robarme en la vida real hará lo mismo? [img]<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid0wXU2VgS7atesBcSoMz5BWMJCJajeZFVT6GzSU6TtpJGddN9kLTvWNgcZaskkbKFQl&amp;show_text=true&amp;width=500
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid0wXU2VgS7atesBcSoMz5BWMJCJajeZFVT6GzSU6TtpJGddN9kLTvWNgcZaskkbKFQl&show_text=true&width=500" width="500"

Yotematoi

July 24, 2024, 01:25:59 PM
hi ya está la basura de Martin, se cambió el nombre es un ladron estupido, asi llegó a 10000[img]<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid03hZrkDUBJPZKCuFgy5hRUy831ekKJYVRzC7ajXaKQbJ6xcPgKftLukUDfovFyEq3l&amp;show_text
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid03hZrkDUBJPZKCuFgy5hRUy831ekKJYVRzC7ajXaKQbJ6xcPgKftLukUDfovFyEq3l&show_text

Yotematoi

July 24, 2024, 01:25:59 PM
hi ya está la basura de Martin, se cambió el nombre es un ladron estupido, asi llegó a 10000[img]<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid03hZrkDUBJPZKCuFgy5hRUy831ekKJYVRzC7ajXaKQbJ6xcPgKftLukUDfovFyEq3l&amp;show_text
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid03hZrkDUBJPZKCuFgy5hRUy831ekKJYVRzC7ajXaKQbJ6xcPgKftLukUDfovFyEq3l&show_text

-Unh0ly-

July 05, 2024, 05:20:36 AM

Show 50 latest
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 05:46:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length