Author Topic: Windows 8 Vs. R1q2  (Read 20122 times)

Offline ImperiusDamian

• A SHRUBBERY!!
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
Re: Windows 8 Vs. R1q2
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2013, 06:26:18 AM »
No, like Quake4, CoD:MW3, Battlefield3.. If I were building a new rig today, I would probably skip a discrete GPU and just use the integrated stuff. The most demanding games I play are OpenGL 2 and DX9, heh.

That works, save some money! I'd still go with the discrete GPU, simply because while Crysis 3 doesn't interest me, I'm sure I'll want Doom 4 when it finally comes out...
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Well-Reasoned Argument and/or Conclusion
    Demonstrates Exceptional Knowlege of the Game
    Appears Not to Comprehend Game Fundamentals
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Whoosh! You done missed the joke thar Cletus!
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Preposterously Irrational Arguments
    Blindingly Obvious Logical Fallacies
    Absurd Misconstrual of Scientific Principles or Evidence
    Amazing Conspiracy Theory Bro
    Racist Ignoramus
"You and your ping can go to hell." - Arkaine, January 12th 2000

There Is No God But Kuduku And Le Toucan Is His Messenger!

Offline Jay Dolan

• Swanky Member
    • View Profile
    • Quetoo.org
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2013, 07:07:18 AM »
No point building for a game that isn't out yet -- it'd make more sense to stick with the free integrated GPU until the game arrived. This is all hypothetical, of course ;)

Altho there are some great deals on prev-gen iMac's on eBay right now..  :lolsign:

Offline Golgo13

• Swanky Member
    • View Profile
    • Lithium CTF Files
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2013, 07:16:04 AM »

anticheat is a first line of defense against casual cheaters.

As an admin I definitely find AC useful!

But Q2 can survive without it. It means going back to more players recording demos and more admins reviewing demos, but we did it before as a community. We can do it again if necessary...

:bigshades:

Only if you had me and Alpha heading the demo department!  :shifteyes: Lol :cheesy: :bubbles:

Offline ImperiusDamian

• A SHRUBBERY!!
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2013, 07:24:33 AM »
No point building for a game that isn't out yet -- it'd make more sense to stick with the free integrated GPU until the game arrived. This is all hypothetical, of course ;)

I'm more of a future-proofing kind of guy - probably because most of the prebuilt PCs I've bought have always been yesterday's tech! LOL!
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline Golgo13

• Swanky Member
    • View Profile
    • Lithium CTF Files
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2013, 07:31:33 AM »
Yea  future proofing saves the most money. i used those integrated chipsets years back, The performance was low. i had to replace my dual core for a 6 core in battlefield 3.  i also swapped out my graphics card for a better model. lost some money doing that some time ago. However since technological speeds are always advancing , it's common sense to want to get the high quality product for whatever reason. If you're mostly into pre 2005 games, then integrated chips are for you.

I would think integrated chips are being improved on as well. however i always thought it to be chancy. i guess players are really upgrading to windows 8 now? i would think that most players are content with their old systems running 95, XP, vista or 7.  depending if  they like pre 2000 games. quake 2 if it's their main game.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 07:34:57 AM by Golgo13 »

Offline Barton

• Carpal Tunnel Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2013, 11:15:25 AM »
I think you should always double check those integrated graphic chips to see how good they are. Sometimes these companies love to cut corners and put in a shitty chip to cut down costs. Like my 2010 HP laptop that can only get 80fps in software mode on dm1, and the frames drop to 30-40fps when someone shoots a weapon. Maybe things are better now.  :mrdead:
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline Jay Dolan

• Swanky Member
    • View Profile
    • Quetoo.org
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2013, 11:37:07 AM »
I think you should always double check those integrated graphic chips to see how good they are. Sometimes these companies love to cut corners and put in a shitty chip to cut down costs. Like my 2010 HP laptop that can only get 80fps in software mode on dm1, and the frames drop to 30-40fps when someone shoots a weapon. Maybe things are better now.  :mrdead:

I think you're confused on what software mode means. Software mode uses your CPU for all rendering. The video card needs only to provide access to the framebuffer so that the CPU can write pixel data to it. In other words, you would see about the same framerate on a Radeon HD-6970 and a Voodoo Banshee in software mode.

I don't think there is a laptop manufactured today that wouldn't eat Quake3 for breakfast. Most smartphones have more GPU horsepower than the hardware Q3 was designed for.

Offline yahoo

• Opulent Member
  • Quake II | Powered by SMF 1.0.9.
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2013, 04:32:02 PM »
i would think that most players are content with their old systems running 95, XP, vista or 7.  depending if  they like pre 2000 games. quake 2 if it's their main game.

95? idk bout that. Maybe 98.
Im forced to use vista coz it came as the default OS in my Lappytop. Vista really sucks to a point I was thinking of downgrading to XP. But then again, I prolly just suck it up.

If youre prolly buying a new rig straight from a dealer, it would most likely be installed with win8
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
Quake II | Powered by SMF 1.0.9.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.

Offline ImperiusDamian

• A SHRUBBERY!!
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2013, 04:39:32 PM »
Im forced to use vista coz it came as the default OS in my Lappytop. Vista really sucks to a point I was thinking of downgrading to XP. But then again, I prolly just suck it up.

If youre prolly buying a new rig straight from a dealer, it would most likely be installed with win8

Sadly yes. :( I'm hoping like hell my next rig will NOT come with Win8's Secure Boot feature, because from what I've heard trying to get Linux running on a system with Secure Boot can brick the damn thing!
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline ex

• Carpal Tunnel Member
  • :>
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2013, 03:05:46 AM »
i would think that most players are content with their old systems running 95, XP, vista or 7.  depending if  they like pre 2000 games. quake 2 if it's their main game.

I don't really have any issues with Vista now that I put extra RAM to get 3 gigs in total.  Vista just needs a lot of RAM to run well.  My system is fast as fuck now that I have the RAM in there, and it's a mere 1.8 Ghz too with no vidcard.  :>

Sadly yes. :( I'm hoping like hell my next rig will NOT come with Win8's Secure Boot feature, because from what I've heard trying to get Linux running on a system with Secure Boot can brick the damn thing!

You know, buying a bare bones computer is the best way to avoid those kind of issues.  You just add whatever parts you want (aside from the basics the bare bones gives you - I think you get motherboard, processor, RAM, and a harddrive...might depend on where you go).  Then you can add a fresh install of whatever OS you want without any bullshit from a previous OS still on the system.

Ah yes, but what about OpenGL performance on Linux with an Intel 82945G Express Chipset?  :>

Is there OpenGL performance at all on ANY OS with an Intel chipset??

BTW, that post above was a tounge-in-cheek jab at my own system.  :>  But I actually do get fair performance on it anyway.  OpenGL runs average about 60-90 fps now, on this basic Intel integrated chipset.  The processor dictates how well things run.  1.8 Ghz does the current FPS, but I know someone who has a slightly newer, but same class of Express Chipset, on a 2.67 Ghz processor.  He gets around 250 FPS on average, which means that more intense games like Quake 4 could actually run decently on it.  Probably not anything higher-end though, especially within the last 4 years especially.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 03:22:38 AM by ex »
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
VaeVictis:
i find it funny that you even consider grammar a sign of intelligence, that itself is a very uneducated claim

http://alldeadmormonsarenowgay.com/

Offline Jay Dolan

• Swanky Member
    • View Profile
    • Quetoo.org
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2013, 05:31:02 AM »
BTW, that post above was a tounge-in-cheek jab at my own system.  :>  But I actually do get fair performance on it anyway.  OpenGL runs average about 60-90 fps now, on this basic Intel integrated chipset.  The processor dictates how well things run.  1.8 Ghz does the current FPS, but I know someone who has a slightly newer, but same class of Express Chipset, on a 2.67 Ghz processor.  He gets around 250 FPS on average, which means that more intense games like Quake 4 could actually run decently on it.  Probably not anything higher-end though, especially within the last 4 years especially.

It's not that simple. id Tech 2 and id Tech 3 do not use the programmable pipeline. They use the OpenGL 1.x fixed-function pipeline, which any card from the last 10 years can utterly crush. This is why Quake2 and Quake3 are entirely CPU-bound on most hardware.

id Tech 4 was one of the first AAA engines to take advantage of OpenGL 2's programmable pipeline, in the form of per-pixel lighting. The fragment shaders in DOOM3 and Quake4 require a heck of a lot more GPU cycles than the FFP rasterization of Quake2. For this reason, plenty of hardware that was CPU-bound with Quake2 either becomes heavily GPU-bound or won't even run Quake4. I'm not sure your card supports OpenGL 2.0 at all.

Offline ImperiusDamian

• A SHRUBBERY!!
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2013, 06:42:46 AM »
You know, buying a bare bones computer is the best way to avoid those kind of issues.  You just add whatever parts you want (aside from the basics the bare bones gives you - I think you get motherboard, processor, RAM, and a harddrive...might depend on where you go).  Then you can add a fresh install of whatever OS you want without any bullshit from a previous OS still on the system.

True... it's just a shame Dell doesn't seem to do that kind of thing. (The only way we can afford anything right now is because we buy on finance using a Dell account.) And sadly all the top-notch systems come with Win8 and no Win7 'downgrade' option. Which would be okay, if I could wipe it down and put Linux on it without bricking the fucker!

Mmm I can run Q2/Q3 on an Intel chipset, but as memory serves, I was very sad trying to get Doom3 to run. That was when I upgraded. LOL
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline ex

• Carpal Tunnel Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2013, 08:15:14 AM »

It's not that simple. id Tech 2 and id Tech 3 do not use the programmable pipeline. They use the OpenGL 1.x fixed-function pipeline, which any card from the last 10 years can utterly crush. This is why Quake2 and Quake3 are entirely CPU-bound on most hardware.

id Tech 4 was one of the first AAA engines to take advantage of OpenGL 2's programmable pipeline, in the form of per-pixel lighting. The fragment shaders in DOOM3 and Quake4 require a heck of a lot more GPU cycles than the FFP rasterization of Quake2. For this reason, plenty of hardware that was CPU-bound with Quake2 either becomes heavily GPU-bound or won't even run Quake4. I'm not sure your card supports OpenGL 2.0 at all.

Interesting.  That's why I like this community.  I learn new shit.  :>

BTW, looks like you're right, the express chipset doesn't natively support OpenGL 2.0, at least not mine for sure.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
VaeVictis:
i find it funny that you even consider grammar a sign of intelligence, that itself is a very uneducated claim

Offline ex

• Carpal Tunnel Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2013, 08:28:42 AM »

True... it's just a shame Dell doesn't seem to do that kind of thing. (The only way we can afford anything right now is because we buy on finance using a Dell account.) And sadly all the top-notch systems come with Win8 and no Win7 'downgrade' option. Which would be okay, if I could wipe it down and put Linux on it without bricking the fucker!

If you have a Fry's Electronics near you, they have cheap as fuck bare bones that you can throw together.  Or there is an even cheaper option:  Buy everything from Newegg build it yourself.  You can hand-pick what you want for your complete system, for the bottommost price.  Just make sure you read the fuck out of the specs on the box, motherboard, processor, power supply, vidcard, RAM, sound card, etc. etc. to make sure it all matches up right.  Would suck to have to send something back for a refund.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
VaeVictis:

Offline Barton

• Carpal Tunnel Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2013, 10:18:43 AM »

I think you're confused on what software mode means. Software mode uses your CPU for all rendering. The video card needs only to provide access to the framebuffer so that the CPU can write pixel data to it. In other words, you would see about the same framerate on a Radeon HD-6970 and a Voodoo Banshee in software mode.

I don't think there is a laptop manufactured today that wouldn't eat Quake3 for breakfast. Most smartphones have more GPU horsepower than the hardware Q3 was designed for.

Haha, I see. Well with this laptop I needed to run the game on software mode to get better frames. I don't remember the model name of the laptop or the onboard graphics chipset it uses. It was a crappy laptop period, but it was one of the cheapest ($600ish) I could buy while on base.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

El Box de Shoutamente

Last 10 Shouts:

-Unh0ly-

March 18, 2024, 03:51:45 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjGjxwHT6ok

played guitar drums bass and sang cuz everyone too lame to start a band with me

0rbisson

March 14, 2024, 04:29:08 AM
HT1 or whatever the stupid map name is instant server killer. the map is trash, Everyone leaves

Costigan_Q2

March 10, 2024, 04:00:02 PM
This is my fave TS post.

And quadz posted it - some ppl must haaate that. :)

-Unh0ly-

February 29, 2024, 08:35:47 AM
MONDAY NIGHT RAILWARZ GAMES   74.91.120.171:27910 -- BIG FUCKIN GAMES.... LETS GO!!!!!!!

|iR|Focalor

February 29, 2024, 01:19:58 AM

|iR|Focalor

February 27, 2024, 12:23:01 AM

0rbisson

February 26, 2024, 11:38:19 AM
player "shogun" known hacker back on ts servers. http://forum.tastyspleen.net/quake/index.php?topic=21160.msg201752#msg201752

|iR|Focalor

February 17, 2024, 10:11:59 PM

Costigan_Q2

February 16, 2024, 07:45:01 AM
Almost 4 months ey? that's a new record.

Last accepted: profile;u=7126
Date Registered:17-10-2023
WaKy-FeLa

Last registered: profile;u=7150
Date Registered:09-02-2024
damsonpharmacy

0rbisson

February 14, 2024, 10:51:18 PM
pings back up to 400+ on dm

Show 50 latest
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:20:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length