Author Topic: In-game auth system  (Read 3520 times)

Offline LedZep

• nader on railz
    • View Profile
    • LedZep's Quake 2 Page
  • Rated:
In-game auth system
« on: May 20, 2013, 02:18:38 AM »
It would be cool if Q2Admin-TSMOD could have some sort of auth command (i.e. "auth LedZep abcasdfghj1234") which would authorize somebody while playing on a server. The command auth_list could make the server write something like:

LedZep: is LedZep on tastyspleen.net
randy: is not authorized
randy_daytona: is not authorized

This would prevent the alias madness that some people partake in. The auth password should not be the TS.net password and it would be a good idea to make it changeable at any time in the user CP. I don't think this can be done through WallFly though, since it has the same knowledge as any client on a server at any given time. Except for perhaps the rcon access.

Offline fdrjk

• Brobdingnagian Member
  • gotta be above it
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
Re: In-game auth system
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 03:51:19 AM »
they already have something like that its called nofake and they have it in poland.

its also a fucking garbage system, since you cant log onto certain servers without it and you need to get an admin to make a nofake account for you.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Well-Reasoned Argument and/or Conclusion
    Demonstrates Exceptional Knowlege of the Game
    Appears Not to Comprehend Game Fundamentals
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Whoosh! You done missed the joke thar Cletus!
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Preposterously Irrational Arguments
    Blindingly Obvious Logical Fallacies
    Absurd Misconstrual of Scientific Principles or Evidence
    Amazing Conspiracy Theory Bro
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline LedZep

• nader on railz
    • View Profile
    • LedZep's Quake 2 Page
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 03:58:54 AM »
they already have something like that its called nofake and they have it in poland.

its also a fucking garbage system, since you cant log onto certain servers without it and you need to get an admin to make a nofake account for you.

Interesting that Pol servers already have it. But you're right, it's pretty garbage if you can't even join the server. What I meant was just a friendly system where you could check who the person is on TS. Blocking people without auths would be pretty bad for the population of the servers.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline quadz

• Loquaciously Multiloquent Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 01:16:56 PM »
It would be cool if Q2Admin-TSMOD could have some sort of auth command (i.e. "auth LedZep abcasdfghj1234") which would authorize somebody while playing on a server.

Reserved/passworded player names are technically supported by q2admin already (though I'll say I wouldn't be shocked if the feature were found to be buggy or exploitable, as seems to be the norm with that codebase.)

Optional player registration / auth is something I've considered for awhile, though my initial motivation was along two fronts: (1) a gentler alternative to banned subnets; (2) reliable stats tracking.

For (1), it would mean I'd be able to convert some subnets that are currently banned, to subnets with required registration. It's difficult to ban subnets without possible collateral damage, and I sometimes wonder how many potential new players over the years were considering trying out, or getting back into Q2, found themselves unable to connect and gave up. Of course, it's possible they might also give up when prompted to login or register, but I'd want to make the process as streamlined as possible: mostly taking place directly from the Q2 console, but still subject to admin approval similar to forum registration...

Anyway...... I've got to manage my extracurricular coding time better. Lately I've been busy with work, and when the weekend arrives I've been avoiding the computer entirely (but the beer and BBQ has been fun.)

:ugly_08:
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
"He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious."

Offline The Happy Friar

• Opulent Member
    • View Profile
    • Fuzzy Logic Inc
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 06:53:24 PM »
Digital Paint does this if you want to use a server that supports it.

It's a great idea as an option, and with Q2 it will always be just an option, not a requirement.

Stat tracking would be neat, but maybe a better way to handle it would be that registered players have player names they use registered only to them and non registered users can't use those names.  That would avoid anyone but me using "The Happy Friar", "THF", or whatever else I register to my account.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
q2server.fuzzylogicinc.com
d3server.fuzzylogicinc.com
l33t hacz over yonder.  ;) :)

Offline BIG DICK RICK

• Swanky Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 07:03:38 PM »
This game is too old to think about implementing something like this now.  It's a cool idea etc, but it's about 6 years late.  It's too much of an undertaking to even think about asking quadz to take on with his busy schedule and list of other thing things he keeps up on.   Aliasing is just a part of any game, and should not be banned.  That's what the noalias server is for and the !aliases command.

Offline VaeVictis

• i was -1 because you fucking suck
  • Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 09:26:16 PM »
It would be cool if Q2Admin-TSMOD could have some sort of auth command (i.e. "auth LedZep abcasdfghj1234") which would authorize somebody while playing on a server.

Reserved/passworded player names are technically supported by q2admin already (though I'll say I wouldn't be shocked if the feature were found to be buggy or exploitable, as seems to be the norm with that codebase.)

Optional player registration / auth is something I've considered for awhile, though my initial motivation was along two fronts: (1) a gentler alternative to banned subnets; (2) reliable stats tracking.

For (1), it would mean I'd be able to convert some subnets that are currently banned, to subnets with required registration. It's difficult to ban subnets without possible collateral damage, and I sometimes wonder how many potential new players over the years were considering trying out, or getting back into Q2, found themselves unable to connect and gave up. Of course, it's possible they might also give up when prompted to login or register, but I'd want to make the process as streamlined as possible: mostly taking place directly from the Q2 console, but still subject to admin approval similar to forum registration...

Anyway...... I've got to manage my extracurricular coding time better. Lately I've been busy with work, and when the weekend arrives I've been avoiding the computer entirely (but the beer and BBQ has been fun.)

:ugly_08:

on the note of old players not being able to connect

can you change the ban message? even if it is like a recompile that would be sooooo worth it

be like "you are banned! if you believe this is in error, please visit tastyspleen.net forums"
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

El Box de Shoutamente

Last 10 Shouts:

RyU

September 03, 2024, 05:15:49 PM
And wow Derrick is still playing lol

RyU

September 03, 2024, 05:15:15 PM
Just know yesterday is gone and soon tomorrow will be gone too  :)

Lejionator

August 08, 2024, 07:28:01 PM
It's tiem to QuakeCon!!!  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThQd_UJaTys

ImperiusDamian

July 26, 2024, 09:34:53 PM
In nomine Quake II et Id Software et Spiritus John Carmack, Amen.

QuakeDuke

July 26, 2024, 05:10:30 PM
Hey, shout, summertime blues
Jump up and down in you blue suede shoes
Hey, did you rock and roll? Rock on!!  ...QD

Yotematoi

July 24, 2024, 01:31:20 PM
Ayer me mato 5 veces para robarme en la vida real hará lo mismo? [img]<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid0wXU2VgS7atesBcSoMz5BWMJCJajeZFVT6GzSU6TtpJGddN9kLTvWNgcZaskkbKFQl&amp;show_text=true&amp;width=500
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid0wXU2VgS7atesBcSoMz5BWMJCJajeZFVT6GzSU6TtpJGddN9kLTvWNgcZaskkbKFQl&show_text=true&width=500" width="500"

Yotematoi

July 24, 2024, 01:25:59 PM
hi ya está la basura de Martin, se cambió el nombre es un ladron estupido, asi llegó a 10000[img]<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid03hZrkDUBJPZKCuFgy5hRUy831ekKJYVRzC7ajXaKQbJ6xcPgKftLukUDfovFyEq3l&amp;show_text
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid03hZrkDUBJPZKCuFgy5hRUy831ekKJYVRzC7ajXaKQbJ6xcPgKftLukUDfovFyEq3l&show_text

Yotematoi

July 24, 2024, 01:25:59 PM
hi ya está la basura de Martin, se cambió el nombre es un ladron estupido, asi llegó a 10000[img]<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid03hZrkDUBJPZKCuFgy5hRUy831ekKJYVRzC7ajXaKQbJ6xcPgKftLukUDfovFyEq3l&amp;show_text
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid03hZrkDUBJPZKCuFgy5hRUy831ekKJYVRzC7ajXaKQbJ6xcPgKftLukUDfovFyEq3l&show_text

-Unh0ly-

July 05, 2024, 05:20:36 AM

Show 50 latest
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2024, 04:55:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length