Author Topic: Why Quake  (Read 19325 times)

Offline VaeVictis

• i was -1 because you fucking suck
  • Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
Re: Why Quake
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2010, 10:48:26 PM »
Of my own curious nature, how many of you play quake and "NO" other FPS? My question would then be why? What makes Quake so superior to the others in your opinion?

I play q2 only coz its the only one i got lately and I kinda comfy bout it. I tried others like AVP, UT etc but like I said Its a matter of preference.

oh on that note, i also play unreal 2004 with friends and find it really fun, ive played unreal99 with friends and found it pretty entertaining, and i played a lot of painkiller with my friends both 1v1 and ffa, i also have no problem with those games and cant knock em :) though i do prefer quake and think its better do to feeling/playing much more smooth and solid...

but realistic games like MW and halo... well those just suck sweaty balls and shouldnt even have multiplayer support :)
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Well-Reasoned Argument and/or Conclusion
    Demonstrates Exceptional Knowlege of the Game
    Appears Not to Comprehend Game Fundamentals
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Whoosh! You done missed the joke thar Cletus!
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Preposterously Irrational Arguments
    Blindingly Obvious Logical Fallacies
    Absurd Misconstrual of Scientific Principles or Evidence
    Amazing Conspiracy Theory Bro
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline Beetleguise

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2010, 11:21:06 PM »
Most of these posts have been relatively well written posts the only one I really must say shows incompetence is Vae. Vae, I think you really ought to use a dictionary or something for your butchered language for starters, second I see exactly why so many people have little respect for you, you speak without much knowledge or common sense. Look up the word dynamic and tell me again that RPG's and Adventure games are less dynamic. FPS games and fighting games all take a certain type of skill on multiplayer, but even as the rest of the people in the post have said ya know movement and prediction come into play. Puzzles take a bit more brain to solve. That's just insane to suggest otherwise. I respect all game generas and I understand each has it's skills but I couldn't say an RPG is based on dexterity and speed of reaction time, some are but very few. That's what you call fact Vae not opinion.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
The dark that claims the night so to feasts upon thy weary eyes." Give in...." The halls echo with the ripple of darker times and stifle the blood curdling screams."Give in...."

Offline VaeVictis

• Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2010, 11:27:29 PM »
Most of these posts have been relatively well written posts the only one I really must say shows incompetence is Vae. Vae, I think you really ought to use a dictionary or something for your butchered language for starters, second I see exactly why so many people have little respect for you, you speak without much knowledge or common sense. Look up the word dynamic and tell me again that RPG's and Adventure games are less dynamic. FPS games and fighting games all take a certain type of skill on multiplayer, but even as the rest of the people in the post have said ya know movement and prediction come into play. Puzzles take a bit more brain to solve. That's just insane to suggest otherwise. I respect all game generas and I understand each has it's skills but I couldn't say an RPG is based on dexterity and speed of reaction time, some are but very few. That's what you call fact Vae not opinion.

discounting my opinions cause my grammar sucks and that everything im saying flies over your head?

not my fault you fail to realise how complex quake really is :) idiots that dont play competitively think that fps games like quake are only who has the better aim, who has the better reaction time... that couldnt be farther from the truth, the smarter player will win, i play puzzle games and i enjoy them, but the head game that gos into quake 1v1 FAR surpasses them

quake2 is FAAAAAAR more complex than just grab a gun, get some armor, and kill the other person :) your not even worth the time to explain it to

i may not have the best grammar *and fyi it is the fucking internet i dont even try to* and i may not be the best gamer in the world, but i know gaming, dont think for 2 seconds that i dont, the only reason i dont get any respect is cause i have a temper and hate to lose and people who have pissed me off keep stacking up, dont act like you know me you stupid little shit :)
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline Beetleguise

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2010, 11:37:54 PM »
Lets clear something up Vae, I am telling you, you don't know what an adjective is not saying you don't know gaming. In a 1v1 in a shooting game generally it is wondering where your opponent is, finding them reading their style and movement. I didn't say you didn't play puzzle games I am saying it takes more brain power to figure through them. As far as knowing you, what part of I have known Xtyfe for years didn't you understand. He loves drama, I have heard none stop about you from several sources and what I have heard is not so far from the truth. You should probably just stop your random shouting at the basement walls.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
The dark that claims the night so to feasts upon thy weary eyes." Give in...." The halls echo with the ripple of darker times and stifle the blood curdling screams."Give in...."

Offline VaeVictis

• Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2010, 11:48:05 PM »
Lets clear something up Vae, I am telling you, you don't know what an adjective is not saying you don't know gaming. In a 1v1 in a shooting game generally it is wondering where your opponent is, finding them reading their style and movement. I didn't say you didn't play puzzle games I am saying it takes more brain power to figure through them. As far as knowing you, what part of I have known Xtyfe for years didn't you understand. He loves drama, I have heard none stop about you from several sources and what I have heard is not so far from the truth. You should probably just stop your random shouting at the basement walls.

hearing shit talk about me isnt knowing me :)

i have perfectly fine grammar honestly, i just dont give a shit on the internet and it shows in my posts, oh well

"wondering where your opponent is, finding them reading their style and movement" lol kinda shallow explanation, much much much more to it than that :) and if you dont know exactly where they are at all times, you suck

takes more brain power to figure out puzzles? lol you have no idea the kind of head games that go into quake 1v1, if nothing else they tie for how much you have to think

honestly the more you post to argue with me, the more i laugh because your not getting anything i say lol

oh and btw xtyfe doesnt know anything about me :) i cant even stand the kid
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline Barton

• Carpal Tunnel Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2010, 12:11:43 AM »
I had played Quake once before when Q3A came out. I had some fun with RA3, but I didn't get hooked on Quake until about a year or so. Fighting games got me hooked on the 1 on 1, competitive aspect of games, a long time ago, which nowadays the only type of game I like and play. Because of that I really wouldn't call myself a gamer if it weren't for the amount of hours, at times that I play these kind of games.

Back during QL's close beta, someone offered me a QL invite. I wanted to see how the game played like, so I checked out some matches for it and saw that Quake had many similar attributes that fighting games have that I liked. The 1 on 1 factor, strict execution requirements which forces players to hone their dexterity, and the deep mind games that are direct result from the game's mechanics, a player's opponent and their strategy.

Why Quake instead of other shooters? I prefer deathmatch styled shooters. They seem to be better balanced, more technical and fun to me then realistic shooters, which have become stale and overdone.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 12:13:25 AM by Barton »
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline Beetleguise

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2010, 12:22:42 AM »
Vae, you need to learn to understand what you're reading not just look at the words. I'm definitely a casual gamer and love graphics considering an earlier argument stated what the graphics are doing to the game play and story line of RPG's and adventuresI've played games you probably never even heard of for the NES, SNES and older gen consoles. . In many FPS you don't have a little radar turned on and you can not hear the sounds of your opponents other than their gun fire, not knowing where one person in a medium sized map is, is not exactly sucking at the game. I never said it was only Xtyfe, I said several sources, the key word being several.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline VaeVictis

• Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2010, 12:36:33 AM »
Vae, you need to learn to understand what you're reading not just look at the words. I'm definitely a casual gamer and love graphics considering an earlier argument stated what the graphics are doing to the game play and story line of RPG's and adventuresI've played games you probably never even heard of for the NES, SNES and older gen consoles. . In many FPS you don't have a little radar turned on and you can not hear the sounds of your opponents other than their gun fire, not knowing where one person in a medium sized map is, is not exactly sucking at the game. I never said it was only Xtyfe, I said several sources, the key word being several.

quake doesnt have a radar thing :) and not every quake can you hear every sound on the map like you do in quake2, which btw adds another cool angle to play with mind games if you want to screw with your opponent, but a big part of 1v1 is constantly keeping track of your opponent and knowing where they are to position yourself and make decisions, as i have said quake duels can play much more like a game of chess than you think

you arent understanding how deep the game is, not even most people that really play the game understand how deep quake is, its the competitive scene that truly gets it, and you obviously will never understand

and ok, youve played games i dont know about, good for you?
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline |iR|Focalor

• Irrepressibly Profuse Member
  • Help Destroy America: VOTE DEMOCRAT
    • View Profile
    • Focalor's Horrible Website: We Rape You Til The Room Stinks
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2010, 01:20:01 AM »
QUAKE2
IS
SERIOUS
SHIT!!!!

And Jehar is an asshole. :lolsign:
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline X'tyfe

• Phenomenally Prodigious Member
  • Yep
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2010, 05:36:51 AM »
See, the thing with Beetle is that no matter how much undisputible evidance you put in front of him it will just go right over his head and he will just keep argueing his twisted points until it wears you out. The difference between him and a troll is that he REALLY believes what he's saying to be true instead of using misinformation to purposely piss someone off.

Take that post I made listing what he knows about Quake and ID and I swear if you find and correct him on all those points (PLEASE so I don't have to hear it anymore) he will reply with an endless diarrhea of the mouth post explaining how wrong you are.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline peewee_RotA

• Brobdingnagian Member
  • Hi, I'm from the gov'ment and I'm here to help you
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2010, 05:45:41 AM »
Holy crap, Beetleguise.

This is by far the DUMBEST trolling attempt ever attempted.

If you wanted to troll on this topic you should have just done something like: "MW2 is the greatest game of all time, everyone else is wrong" and then slung meaningless insults

Instead you sound like an absolute idiot trying to defend statements that nobody here does or ever will agree with. It's not a difference of opinion, it's an obvious and purposeful contradiction of place and time. You might as well go to New York and argue with a doorman at a fancy hotel that motels are better. He'll give you the same puzzled look at why the EF you picked that argument, how you could be serious, and why you think that bringing up to a doorman makes any kind of a difference.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
GOTO ROTAMODS (rocketgib)
GOTO ROTAMAPS (fireworks)
HappyFriar- q2server.fuzzylogicinc.com
 Tune in to the Tastycast!!!!  http://dna.zeliepa.net

Offline The Dreaming Dragon

• Carpal Tunnel Member
  • " ! "
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2010, 06:20:34 AM »
I try all sorts of FPs games,and sometimes the multiplayer aspectsof them as well,but find myself flying back to Quake 2 for its comfortable familiarity.

Quake 1 I appreciate more for its single player experience,and with a modern EXE to run it the atmosphere of its disturbing Cthulu-Satanic imagery can still deliver maximum jollies. At the time of its popularity we were mostly stuck with dial up modems and slow ones at that,so I found staying alive long enough to reach a weapon let alone shoot it was challange enough.But even with fast internet the multiplayer gets pointlessly frantic. Quake 3 was okay at first...but its insistance on having Punkbuster running forced 99% of the servers to run pure,so you never got to see any of the cool models and skins people were making in a casual game and maps were the only way a budding designer could offer the community. I tried Quake Live,but since I also tried the Enemy territory demo as well a short time later,Punkbuster refuses to connect me to servers,and I have yet to feel motivated enough to fix the problem.

Quake 2 had the best of all worlds:lots of ways to customize the experience Models Skins and Soundpacks,power ups from the single player part to provide texture to the Multiplayer: Shields Ammo Belts and Silencers. Multiplayer maps were made in abundance and single player packs offered unique experiences that could only be dreamed up by home brewed developers not having to answer to Suits for their mad scientist indulgences. I will ever lament never experiencing such an offering from the games made with the Quake 3 engine like FAKK 2 or American McGee's Alice,and the world will be poorer for it.

Other FPSs I can admire for some things...I liked Kingpin for its clever dividing the model skins into 3 sections so you could mix n match your look,how you taunted someone after you killed them,and especially Bagman,like Capture the Flag,but with cash as the Flag:hordable,stealable and gradually trickling out from the center for anyone tough enough to carry it off.I liked Unreal Tournament for its mod,and LOVED the sniper maps where you had gigantic rooms and had to listen carefully for your opponents moving to nail them for a headshot.Halflife had its moments too and an abundance of modding stuff,but after wandering into my first Counterstrike server(before it became a seperate product) and seeing the custom decals the Angry 12 year olds were using for sprays(messy messy cumshots) it became less fun to be online...and repetative.I really wish Duke Nukem 3d had true server support,because that had a lot more toys than Quake ever did,and my old roommate and I could design maps well enough to have new additions ready in a night off.

So Quake 2 will ever remain on any harddrive I have,and will never be replaced as the most fun you can have in this Noob Pwning experience of the FPS!

(Until they develope an Elder Scrolls online game where you could design your own spells and go online with them!)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 06:04:33 AM by TooMuchFun »
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline [BTF]Sigma

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2010, 06:32:30 AM »
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline Beetleguise

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2010, 08:25:39 AM »
Vae, you compare the skill level of an FPS to the skill and mentality of chess, so what you're telling me is that each pawn has a machine gun and just fires rampantly across the screen and neither player really needs to try. You can camp and keep track of where you last died or last killed them or where the weapons are. The mentality of two competitive players is the hunter mentality, when you see each other you aim strafe and attempt to hose your enemy down with bullets and at the same time attempt to avoid the same fate. estimating the where abouts of your opponent is the only other aspect of the game.

As for Xtyfe, the funny thing is even your guru hasn't disputed me much thus far and has in fact stated I have given an oversimplified version. How's that stack up for ya?

Peewee, I am not trolling anything, I asked a question that is in each persons reason as to why they play only quake over any other game and if so why. Now it has been made known Most of the players here play many other games and have a more validated opinion and knowledge of games than X'tyfe. He's played a whopping 10 games and that's giving him some serious credit. He made an inclusive statement about this community and I attempted to uncover the truth about it. Thus far his statement has been proven wrong by all who have answered this question.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline X'tyfe

• Yep
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2010, 08:34:24 AM »
You're twisting it around again, when YOU are the one that has been proven wrong since everyone that has posted has said exactly what I said to you. WHAT NOW? All points have so far been disputed by others but as usual you totally ignore that and continue on
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 08:36:06 AM by X'tyfe »
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

El Box de Shoutamente

Last 10 Shouts:

|iR|Focalor

April 24, 2024, 10:55:53 AM
omlette du fromage?

Admin

April 24, 2024, 07:08:22 AM
fin.

|iR|Focalor

April 22, 2024, 04:27:07 PM
Now it's over. Because I say it's over.

|iR|Focalor

April 22, 2024, 12:39:29 PM
It's over when I say it's over.

|iR|Focalor

April 22, 2024, 11:34:16 AM
Costigan needs a tampon.

Costigan_Q2

April 22, 2024, 02:53:12 AM
This interaction is over.

Costigan_Q2

April 22, 2024, 02:51:20 AM
Will someone please muzzle and leash that barking dog? it's projections and delusions and now endless babbling are comically pitiable, just treat it like you would Beaver - that's what it deserves.

Costigan_Q2

April 22, 2024, 02:50:50 AM
Quake 2 needs a public square.

This is not a debate.

|iR|Focalor

April 21, 2024, 05:36:24 PM
If you were attached to reality, you'd realize that.

Quake 2 needs a private bathroom.

|iR|Focalor

April 21, 2024, 05:34:35 PM
I've never doxed anyone like he did or sent them 1000's of annoying whiny angry messages in all caps like you.

Show 50 latest
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:34:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length