Author Topic: Quake2 (or PC GAME in general i guess) TIPS for recording demos for youtube  (Read 3185 times)

Offline Randy

• Swanky Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
so,few people here and there asked me about my progz/techniques for recording/and uploading good quality/good frame rated vids to youtube.

well first things first i guess,i always use FRAPS (google it/torrent) to record my demos with,at FULL RESOLUTION option marked as "on" for fraps,with "record sound" enabled,and i always used 50FPS capture,with FPS overlay "OFF",what this means is,when i use fraps to record my demos with i wont get an annoying little box telling me exactly how many frames per second im rendering,i NEVER start recording a q2 demo untill the match actually STARTS ( YES!,This means i do NOT include 1v1 warmups,i start recording as SOON as the match STARTS)since youtube only allows a maximum of 10 minute vids,(if you managed to miss the record in time,or something happens,you can still upload videos that are LESS then 11 minutes in length,MAXIMUM,Period),and 2gb in SIZE limittations.Now,after  i record games with fraps  i tend to stop the recording process asap as a game finishes,to try and keep it within the 10-11 minutes mark.I then use a program called VIRTUAL DUB,to compress my RAW video data,i use virtual dub to "append AVI segments;basically FRAPS splits the demos into multiple 3.9 GB  files,in a 10 minutes 1v1 match,you should have an average of 4 RAW different video files,These are often referrerd to as your "Source Video".
AKA What you actually started with.Now,after you get 3 or 4 AVI segments(AVI parts),its OK if you end up with 3,or 4,or even 5,just depending on the length of the match you recorded,I always open up VIRTUAL DUB and i select FILE>APPEND AVI SEGMENT( basically this allows you to combine several different .AVI files into a single movie)and afterwards select the video option>compression>(heres where you (could) experiment for best results)but I always used the MPEG4 CODEC,to compress my videos,which gives them superior quality and  very small sizes in the final videos.After selection of MPEG4 Codec in compression,I save as an .AVI (file>save as .AVI),once completed,I upload it to youtube.

Now,you may be thinking "IS THAT ALL"

but,it really isnt :p

Now we work on a "vid.cfg" file for you,this is a method i created for myself and by myself,but basically,if you want the BEST possibly quality( aka  i have vid.cfg fir r_customheight "900" r_customwidth "1440" gl_mode "-1";now,if I type "exec vid.cfg" into my Quake2 console it will exec the vid.cfg i have built specifically for recording demos.

1440x900 resolution is MY maximum and NATIVE resolution for MY moniter,this DIFFERS for everyone ELSE.

I also like to store some other variables into my vid.cfg,such as gl_particle 1 (APRQ2 specific command,gives smoother,brighter,particle effects then R1q2 and R1GL)

another technique i use is to

set gl_modulate "3" in vid.cfg;
bind F1 "gl_modulate 999;gl_dynamic 0"

This lil trick here actually renders a map with a modulate level of exactly "3";once a map is loaded with a modulate of "3' you should noticed its pretty realistically shaded,and doesnt look like overbright SHIT,and when you press the F1 key all your entities( AKA PLAYER MODELS,ARMORS,HEALTHS,WEAPONS,AMMO,ETC) will be SUPER BRIGHT,and shadows will NOT effect these items.

Any questions? comments? dont care  :dohdohdoh:

just leave a post on what your thoughts are,hope this helps!
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Well-Reasoned Argument and/or Conclusion
    Demonstrates Exceptional Knowlege of the Game
    Appears Not to Comprehend Game Fundamentals
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Whoosh! You done missed the joke thar Cletus!
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Preposterously Irrational Arguments
    Blindingly Obvious Logical Fallacies
    Absurd Misconstrual of Scientific Principles or Evidence
    Amazing Conspiracy Theory Bro
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline Gouki

• No Friends, Hated By All
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
awesoem, my vids are horrbile quality
check out the first time my rail map was played on ts
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline ztev0

• View Profile
  • Rated:
so,few people here and there asked me about my progz/techniques for recording/and uploading good quality/good frame rated vids to youtube.

well first things first i guess,i always use FRAPS (google it/torrent) to record my demos with,at FULL RESOLUTION option marked as "on" for fraps,with "record sound" enabled,and i always used 50FPS capture,with FPS overlay "OFF",what this means is,when i use fraps to record my demos with i wont get an annoying little box telling me exactly how many frames per second im rendering,i NEVER start recording a q2 demo untill the match actually STARTS ( YES!,This means i do NOT include 1v1 warmups,i start recording as SOON as the match STARTS)since youtube only allows a maximum of 10 minute vids,(if you managed to miss the record in time,or something happens,you can still upload videos that are LESS then 11 minutes in length,MAXIMUM,Period),and 2gb in SIZE limittations.Now,after  i record games with fraps  i tend to stop the recording process asap as a game finishes,to try and keep it within the 10-11 minutes mark.I then use a program called VIRTUAL DUB,to compress my RAW video data,i use virtual dub to "append AVI segments;basically FRAPS splits the demos into multiple 3.9 GB  files,in a 10 minutes 1v1 match,you should have an average of 4 RAW different video files,These are often referrerd to as your "Source Video".
AKA What you actually started with.Now,after you get 3 or 4 AVI segments(AVI parts),its OK if you end up with 3,or 4,or even 5,just depending on the length of the match you recorded,I always open up VIRTUAL DUB and i select FILE>APPEND AVI SEGMENT( basically this allows you to combine several different .AVI files into a single movie)and afterwards select the video option>compression>(heres where you (could) experiment for best results)but I always used the MPEG4 CODEC,to compress my videos,which gives them superior quality and  very small sizes in the final videos.After selection of MPEG4 Codec in compression,I save as an .AVI (file>save as .AVI),once completed,I upload it to youtube.

Now,you may be thinking "IS THAT ALL"

but,it really isnt :p

Now we work on a "vid.cfg" file for you,this is a method i created for myself and by myself,but basically,if you want the BEST possibly quality( aka  i have vid.cfg fir r_customheight "900" r_customwidth "1440" gl_mode "-1";now,if I type "exec vid.cfg" into my Quake2 console it will exec the vid.cfg i have built specifically for recording demos.

1440x900 resolution is MY maximum and NATIVE resolution for MY moniter,this DIFFERS for everyone ELSE.

I also like to store some other variables into my vid.cfg,such as gl_particle 1 (APRQ2 specific command,gives smoother,brighter,particle effects then R1q2 and R1GL)

another technique i use is to

set gl_modulate "3" in vid.cfg;
bind F1 "gl_modulate 999;gl_dynamic 0"

This lil trick here actually renders a map with a modulate level of exactly "3";once a map is loaded with a modulate of "3' you should noticed its pretty realistically shaded,and doesnt look like overbright SHIT,and when you press the F1 key all your entities( AKA PLAYER MODELS,ARMORS,HEALTHS,WEAPONS,AMMO,ETC) will be SUPER BRIGHT,and shadows will NOT effect these items.

Any questions? comments? dont care  :dohdohdoh:

just leave a post on what your thoughts are,hope this helps!

:bump:

i just wanted to know....my fraps when recording is jerky, but the video comes out fine. what could be the problem? also what would be a good alternative to windows movie maker if you want to add music ect? i tried video spin but that wasn't overly good on quality either
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 12:18:13 AM by Al13n »
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline adz1La

• Carpal Tunnel Member
  • Just...AIM...Down!
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
tl;dr
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
Quote from: Golgo13 link=faggotdeletedpost
i probably have a 1% chance of ever winning in duel against you

Offline beanstorm

• View Profile
    • beanstorms skins
  • Rated:
I use a Goltz Mentor Reflex 6.5 X 9cm.  from 1904 and a piano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfxvwP5L8wg

• Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline [BTF] Reflex

• Loquaciously Multiloquent Member
  • !
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
... also what would be a good alternative to windows movie maker if you want to add music ect? i tried video spin but that wasn't overly good on quality either

sony vegas pro

Someone I talked to used that, little complicated but powerfull.  Movie maker is pretty simple,  it's all I ever used.  Gets the job done, just not too many bells and whistles.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
Sometimes I think it’s a sin when I feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again

Offline VaeVictis

• i was -1 because you fucking suck
  • Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
... also what would be a good alternative to windows movie maker if you want to add music ect? i tried video spin but that wasn't overly good on quality either

sony vegas pro

Someone I talked to used that, little complicated but powerfull.  Movie maker is pretty simple,  it's all I ever used.  Gets the job done, just not too many bells and whistles.

movie maker just lacks crisp quality when rendered
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

El Box de Shoutamente

Last 10 Shouts:

RyU

September 03, 2024, 05:15:49 PM
And wow Derrick is still playing lol

RyU

September 03, 2024, 05:15:15 PM
Just know yesterday is gone and soon tomorrow will be gone too  :)

Lejionator

August 08, 2024, 07:28:01 PM
It's tiem to QuakeCon!!!  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThQd_UJaTys

ImperiusDamian

July 26, 2024, 09:34:53 PM
In nomine Quake II et Id Software et Spiritus John Carmack, Amen.

QuakeDuke

July 26, 2024, 05:10:30 PM
Hey, shout, summertime blues
Jump up and down in you blue suede shoes
Hey, did you rock and roll? Rock on!!  ...QD

Yotematoi

July 24, 2024, 01:31:20 PM
Ayer me mato 5 veces para robarme en la vida real hará lo mismo? [img]<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid0wXU2VgS7atesBcSoMz5BWMJCJajeZFVT6GzSU6TtpJGddN9kLTvWNgcZaskkbKFQl&amp;show_text=true&amp;width=500
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid0wXU2VgS7atesBcSoMz5BWMJCJajeZFVT6GzSU6TtpJGddN9kLTvWNgcZaskkbKFQl&show_text=true&width=500" width="500"

Yotematoi

July 24, 2024, 01:25:59 PM
hi ya está la basura de Martin, se cambió el nombre es un ladron estupido, asi llegó a 10000[img]<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid03hZrkDUBJPZKCuFgy5hRUy831ekKJYVRzC7ajXaKQbJ6xcPgKftLukUDfovFyEq3l&amp;show_text
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid03hZrkDUBJPZKCuFgy5hRUy831ekKJYVRzC7ajXaKQbJ6xcPgKftLukUDfovFyEq3l&show_text

Yotematoi

July 24, 2024, 01:25:59 PM
hi ya está la basura de Martin, se cambió el nombre es un ladron estupido, asi llegó a 10000[img]<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid03hZrkDUBJPZKCuFgy5hRUy831ekKJYVRzC7ajXaKQbJ6xcPgKftLukUDfovFyEq3l&amp;show_text
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid03hZrkDUBJPZKCuFgy5hRUy831ekKJYVRzC7ajXaKQbJ6xcPgKftLukUDfovFyEq3l&show_text

-Unh0ly-

July 05, 2024, 05:20:36 AM

Show 50 latest
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2024, 11:26:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length