Author Topic: Deliberately Crashing Servers  (Read 19288 times)

Offline VaeVictis

• i was -1 because you fucking suck
  • Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
Re: Deliberately Crashing Servers
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2012, 07:07:15 PM »
I don't think making server code resistant to attack is stupid at all. You have to remember that Q2 was designed as a single player game first, multiplayer second and the philosophy of the net at the time was "everybody plays by the rules". Then the Morris worm came out and all hell broke loose.

you do realize the worm made by robert morris was out a full decade ahead of q2 right?
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Well-Reasoned Argument and/or Conclusion
    Demonstrates Exceptional Knowlege of the Game
    Appears Not to Comprehend Game Fundamentals
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Whoosh! You done missed the joke thar Cletus!
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Preposterously Irrational Arguments
    Blindingly Obvious Logical Fallacies
    Absurd Misconstrual of Scientific Principles or Evidence
    Amazing Conspiracy Theory Bro
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline QwazyWabbit

• Carpal Tunnel Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2012, 09:21:54 PM »
I don't think making server code resistant to attack is stupid at all. You have to remember that Q2 was designed as a single player game first, multiplayer second and the philosophy of the net at the time was "everybody plays by the rules". Then the Morris worm came out and all hell broke loose.

you do realize the worm made by robert morris was out a full decade ahead of q2 right?

Less than a decade actually... more like 6 years or so, late '88 to late 96. But the lesson was not learned was it?
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline |iR|Focalor

• Irrepressibly Profuse Member
  • Help Destroy America: VOTE DEMOCRAT
    • View Profile
    • Focalor's Horrible Website: We Rape You Til The Room Stinks
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2012, 11:40:04 PM »
Unless he took the time to create a bind that would drop 1000+ ammo packs all at once, that's not the method he was using. Cajmere said he never saw any ammo packs dropped before it crashed.

It's pretty stupid that anyone should HAVE to make changes to the server to prevent this from happening again when it would be a hell of a lot quicker and simpler to keep the assholes doing it off the server with a ban until they agree to stop doing obnoxious shit. Play by the rules or play somewhere else.

I don't think making server code resistant to attack is stupid at all. You have to remember that Q2 was designed as a single player game first, multiplayer second and the philosophy of the net at the time was "everybody plays by the rules". Then the Morris worm came out and all hell broke loose. Original Q2 was riddled with vulnerabilities, hence all the admin tricks and add-ons to plug the holes.

One of the most annoying shortcuts taken by the Q2 developers IMHO, is the good old crash-the-app-because-something-bad-happened. This is exactly what you saw with the coop server. This is fine if you're developing but it sucks when you're an admin. Fortunately, quadz has Wallfly and server monitor/reset automation in place but from the degree of upset caused by all the complainers in this thread I'd say making the servers resistant to the exploit would be a better solution.

The patch would appear to be minimal and it's already written so why not take advantage of it if it exists. We only need to prove it works.

You just love to fucking argue with me lately, don't you? Your little "solution" may work, but it's still a stupid one in my opinion. Some guy pisses on your shoes and you're worried about doing what you can to make your shoes piss-proof, meanwhile some guys pissing on my shoes and I'm kicking him in the dick until he's pissing blood and can't walk. I bet you my shoe pisser won't make the mistake of pissing on my boots again. And I didn't even have to waste the time and money it'd take to go shopping for a new pair of piss-proof shoes like you did.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 11:43:11 PM by |iR|Focalor »
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline QwazyWabbit

• Carpal Tunnel Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2012, 12:24:35 AM »
Unless he took the time to create a bind that would drop 1000+ ammo packs all at once, that's not the method he was using. Cajmere said he never saw any ammo packs dropped before it crashed.

It's pretty stupid that anyone should HAVE to make changes to the server to prevent this from happening again when it would be a hell of a lot quicker and simpler to keep the assholes doing it off the server with a ban until they agree to stop doing obnoxious shit. Play by the rules or play somewhere else.

I don't think making server code resistant to attack is stupid at all. You have to remember that Q2 was designed as a single player game first, multiplayer second and the philosophy of the net at the time was "everybody plays by the rules". Then the Morris worm came out and all hell broke loose. Original Q2 was riddled with vulnerabilities, hence all the admin tricks and add-ons to plug the holes.

One of the most annoying shortcuts taken by the Q2 developers IMHO, is the good old crash-the-app-because-something-bad-happened. This is exactly what you saw with the coop server. This is fine if you're developing but it sucks when you're an admin. Fortunately, quadz has Wallfly and server monitor/reset automation in place but from the degree of upset caused by all the complainers in this thread I'd say making the servers resistant to the exploit would be a better solution.

The patch would appear to be minimal and it's already written so why not take advantage of it if it exists. We only need to prove it works.

You just love to fucking argue with me lately, don't you? Your little "solution" may work, but it's still a stupid one in my opinion. Some guy pisses on your shoes and you're worried about doing what you can to make your shoes piss-proof, meanwhile some guys pissing on my shoes and I'm kicking him in the dick until he's pissing blood and can't walk. I bet you my shoe pisser won't make the mistake of pissing on my boots again. And I didn't even have to waste the time and money it'd take to go shopping for a new pair of piss-proof shoes like you did.

I don't love to fucking argue with you at all. I find your point of view very entertaining. Keep it up. Since you are so free with your opinions I am equally free with mine. The fact our opinions differ is what makes the world interesting. If you think that's an argument it's only your juvenile underdeveloped mind and that angry with the world because your old man beat you when you was little attitude. I was only interested in the topic because it showed a weakness in the game code.

Go, be angry. Give it your best shot. Piss on krenZ and have your little game. Me, I'd rather make the game better for small minded people who have no other talent than to be drama queens on forums.

P.S. You only think I'm arguing with you. It's all in your mind.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline |iR|Focalor

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2012, 12:45:11 AM »
Who's angry? Wasn't angry at all. Didn't think I expressed any anger in that post. Apparently you are though, saying dumb shit like "juvenille underdeveloped mind", "your old man beat you when you was little". If just saying that you love to argue me about everything recently is enough to trip your self-defense trigger like that, then you got some mighty thin skin there.

In case your fucking eyes missed it, I never brought this topic up on the forums. Krenz did. I chimed in to set the record straight about what he was up to when he began telling his bullshit fact-free story about what happened. I could care less about a grudge match with that little fudge packer. He's still holding on to some dumb shit that happened probably 4 years ago at Monsterkill and thinks it's fun to try to troll me whenever he can. Don't give the tiniest piece of shit in the world about which one of us is better at a retarded archaic video game that no one else in the world gives a damn about anymore. Done had this short little discussion with him in IRC, which you missed. He stops doing dumb shit and starts treating people with more respect, I'll start acting more respectful towards him.

Apparently YOU wanna be a drama queen about this shit and get all defensive over one comment that wasn't necessarily meant to be a personal attack. Fine by me. If that's the way you wanna play it, fuck you too, bro. Would it make you feel better if I'd apologize. Fine. I'm so sorry for saying you like to argue with me about everything recently. ::)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 12:47:07 AM by |iR|Focalor »
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline yahoo

• Opulent Member
  • Quake II | Powered by SMF 1.0.9.
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2012, 01:15:09 AM »
someday when i grow up , I wanna be like Big Brotha Foc :P
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
Quake II | Powered by SMF 1.0.9.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.

Offline VaeVictis

• i was -1 because you fucking suck
  • Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2012, 01:26:12 AM »

Less than a decade actually... more like 6 years or so, late '88 to late 96. But the lesson was not learned was it?

q1 was out in 96, q2 came out tail end of 97 ;) so... yeah less than a decade, but close enough to round up, only a few months off
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline quadz

• Loquaciously Multiloquent Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2012, 01:37:17 AM »
From a developer point of view, all else aside, it's almost always worthwhile to investigate issues in the code where one isn't precisely sure why or how a particular error condition is being triggered.  Often one may discover unexpected code paths by which the error could have been triggered, which could have led to the error occurring under even more ordinary circumstances.

In other words, we already know the co-op mod is more flaky than we'd like, and it's quite possible that in tracking this down and fixing it, we'd eliminate some percentage of co-op's general flaky crashes.  (But even if not, walling off an avenue for a DoS attack is good policy.)

:xarbeit02:

• Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
"He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious."

Offline |iR|Focalor

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2012, 02:37:54 AM »
Well what I was trying to convey with my statements (which I guess I didn't do in plain enough english, I apologize, and I'll do it now) is that it's unfortunate that some people (krenz in this case) can't just follow the god damn rules, stop being an asshole, and not cause any problems in the first place. Fixing shit is fine, but no one would be wasting time fixing shit at all if assholes could mind their manners and not break shit that doesn't belong to them. Just saying... if it were me... I wouldn't waste time screwing with code that works just fine for everyone else only because one person wants be an asshole. I'd just deal with the asshole himself. To me, one asshole shouldn't earn the right to consume my time fixing shit that I don't wanna fix. Enter IP, ban asshole, quick fix, go do something else. :thumbsup:
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline QwazyWabbit

• Carpal Tunnel Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2012, 06:56:00 AM »
Foc, I understand your point completely and I agree that assholes need to pay the price for being assholes and krenZ deserves his ban and I wouldn't waste any more time on him either.

I was only replying to you in the same tone and method that you replied to me. All is cool.
 :ilysign:

But my intent was to plug a hole that exists in ancient code that might be easily fixed with a simple copy-paste of a block of code and a quick recompile of the game DLL and publication of that code for the greater good of the mod community. The total time to do that is less than I have wasted in this thread. :) The solution might even be as simple as increasing maxentities since the limit is artificial and the default was geared to a 1997 server. The code I have uses a "freed entity" list to speed up G_Spawn and a larger default value for maxentities. LOX uses a lot of entities and it doesn't crash and I haven't seen this exploit used on it so I would have liked to see if it can be crashed this way. The coop code is ancient original 3.21 mod code most likely.

The result would be less time dealing with future assholes who might choose to use the same exploit to crash a server. If I was more ambitious I'd write a detection program that would auto-ban anyone who acted like krenZ but as you say, enter IP, ban the asshole, quick fix.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline Whirlingdervish

• Super ShortBus Extravaganza
  • Illimitable Sesquipedalian Member
    • View Profile
    • The Dervish Depository
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2012, 11:16:44 AM »
this has been informative to say the least
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline ex

• Carpal Tunnel Member
  • :>
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2012, 11:17:14 PM »
I say plug the holes AND globalban the fags.  More work, but seems to work well to tackle both issues simultaneously.  :)
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
VaeVictis:
i find it funny that you even consider grammar a sign of intelligence, that itself is a very uneducated claim

http://alldeadmormonsarenowgay.com/

Offline X'tyfe

• Phenomenally Prodigious Member
  • Yep
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2012, 07:06:09 PM »
A+ Topic, will recommend. :D
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

El Box de Shoutamente

Last 10 Shouts:

RyU

September 03, 2024, 05:15:49 PM
And wow Derrick is still playing lol

RyU

September 03, 2024, 05:15:15 PM
Just know yesterday is gone and soon tomorrow will be gone too  :)

Lejionator

August 08, 2024, 07:28:01 PM
It's tiem to QuakeCon!!!  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThQd_UJaTys

ImperiusDamian

July 26, 2024, 09:34:53 PM
In nomine Quake II et Id Software et Spiritus John Carmack, Amen.

QuakeDuke

July 26, 2024, 05:10:30 PM
Hey, shout, summertime blues
Jump up and down in you blue suede shoes
Hey, did you rock and roll? Rock on!!  ...QD

Yotematoi

July 24, 2024, 01:31:20 PM
Ayer me mato 5 veces para robarme en la vida real hará lo mismo? [img]<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid0wXU2VgS7atesBcSoMz5BWMJCJajeZFVT6GzSU6TtpJGddN9kLTvWNgcZaskkbKFQl&amp;show_text=true&amp;width=500
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid0wXU2VgS7atesBcSoMz5BWMJCJajeZFVT6GzSU6TtpJGddN9kLTvWNgcZaskkbKFQl&show_text=true&width=500" width="500"

Yotematoi

July 24, 2024, 01:25:59 PM
hi ya está la basura de Martin, se cambió el nombre es un ladron estupido, asi llegó a 10000[img]<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid03hZrkDUBJPZKCuFgy5hRUy831ekKJYVRzC7ajXaKQbJ6xcPgKftLukUDfovFyEq3l&amp;show_text
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid03hZrkDUBJPZKCuFgy5hRUy831ekKJYVRzC7ajXaKQbJ6xcPgKftLukUDfovFyEq3l&show_text

Yotematoi

July 24, 2024, 01:25:59 PM
hi ya está la basura de Martin, se cambió el nombre es un ladron estupido, asi llegó a 10000[img]<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid03hZrkDUBJPZKCuFgy5hRUy831ekKJYVRzC7ajXaKQbJ6xcPgKftLukUDfovFyEq3l&amp;show_text
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid03hZrkDUBJPZKCuFgy5hRUy831ekKJYVRzC7ajXaKQbJ6xcPgKftLukUDfovFyEq3l&show_text

-Unh0ly-

July 05, 2024, 05:20:36 AM

Show 50 latest
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 10:37:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length