Author Topic: Current Politics & History Only Thread  (Read 126264 times)

Offline haunted

• Inexorably Palaverous Member
  • I am hollywood.
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
Re: Current Politics & History Only Thread
« Reply #705 on: August 27, 2019, 03:05:53 PM »
Oh she's out there. People just don't even question it though. I know everyone has always "chosen the news they want to hear", but now they swarm all over it like vultures. And, these are the more passionate people that show up at the voting booth. I actually didn't even fact check it. Despite how dumb she is there HAS to be smarter people around her especially since the left knows she's a nitwit too.

I see it at my work place and on social media with union workers(I'm in a private group with 30,000 some union engineers). They just post baseless memes attacking the left and the right. The left irritates me the most. I've never encountered a single union worker that thinks 'The left has really fucked up and many are bat shit crazy, but when it comes down to it I vote blue to support my livelihood which in turn supports my family. Even if the left isn't pro union, they're at least less anti-union than the right'. I would respect that view. I know some guys think that, but those aren't the ones ranting on social media and come from a group that's less likely to show up at the voting booth.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Well-Reasoned Argument and/or Conclusion
    Demonstrates Exceptional Knowlege of the Game
    Appears Not to Comprehend Game Fundamentals
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Whoosh! You done missed the joke thar Cletus!
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Preposterously Irrational Arguments
    Blindingly Obvious Logical Fallacies
    Absurd Misconstrual of Scientific Principles or Evidence
    Amazing Conspiracy Theory Bro
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline |iR|Focalor

• Irrepressibly Profuse Member
  • OFFO
    • View Profile
    • Focalor's Lair @ Tastyspleen.net
  • Rated:
« Reply #706 on: August 28, 2019, 12:28:43 AM »
I used to be a big fan of Ayn Rand and her hard nosed objectivist/capitalist philosophy, and in and of itself, it's still terrific. But in present practice, American capitalism is a corrupt spiraling black hole that I anticipate will swallow everything and not be sustainable indefinitely. Manufacturing is where it's at. And American business just doesn't have the balls to do it anymore. They've figured out that they can screw the foreign workers a lot harder than they can screw the American workers, and they're never gonna go back (and thus lose profit they were making before) now that they've made the switch, that's not how business works. It's akin to attempting to get everyone to go back to listening to music on cassettes again. Not gonna happen, not ever, not after digital downloads where you can store 50,000 albums on a single thumb drive the size of a pack of Juicy Fruit.

If it's true that oppressive dictatorship is the natural result of communist philosophy applied to government, then it's probably also true what the commies say about us: that corruption is the natural result of capitalism. They ain't entirely wrong, are they?
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline quadz

• Phenomenally Prodigious Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #707 on: August 30, 2019, 07:25:51 PM »
This week in men are bad, straight men are worse, and straight white men are basically Hitler: someone has conceived the big-brained idea that it somehow makes sense for Melinda Gates to complain about gender pay inequality.

https://youtu.be/g6NY2k0yqIE?t=70

(Bonus: On the original video being critiqued here, they say "we want to start a conversation". Their comment section is disabled.)

"He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious."

Offline |iR|Focalor

• Irrepressibly Profuse Member
  • OFFO
    • View Profile
    • Focalor's Lair @ Tastyspleen.net
  • Rated:
« Reply #708 on: August 31, 2019, 06:07:08 AM »

(Bonus: On the original video being critiqued here, they say "we want to start a conversation". Their comment section is disabled.)

That = Funny.  :lolsign:

His comment at the beginning about "Women are funny. The women on Saturday Night Live are funny." WHOA, HORSIE, WHOA. Uhkay, you just lost credibility with me... but, continue please. Women are funny, sure. But not the ones on SNL. I haven't even seen SNL lately, but I still will arrogantly assert with all the confidence of someone who knows it to be fact that the women on SNL are NOT funny... simply because NOTHING on SNL is ever funny anymore. If they ever got cancelled... that would be first "funny" thing to happen on SNL in a LOOOOOOOONG damn time.

#2... His Kangaroo is wearing a shirt with William "Bill the Butcher" Poole wrapped in an American Flag. That guy used to VIOLENTLY suppress the voting rights of the Irish and catholics. Not exactly a good symbol to proudly display in order to show people that you're "rational" about politics... but, continue please.

#3... "That is Fred Armasin, a very talented guy..." (*SHOOTS THE FUCKING HORSE IN THE BACK OF THE HEAD RATHER THAN BOTHERING TO HOLLER WHOA*) Again... not funny, and by calling him talented, I assume he means Portlandia is funny, and it fucking isn't. It's lame, it's stupid, but... continue please.

His main point about the ads having NO plan of action for this "crisis", yeah, obviously that's true. Somewhere there's someone or a commission of someones who have the bright idea that FORCED diversity for the sake of diversity in and of itself with no other considerations is NOT a bad plan of action. This conspiracy seems to be successfully indoctrinating people too.

This is why some of us have been TERRIFIED by the statistics stating that the US is one of the top 3 richest countries in the world and yet we rank somewhere between 35 and 45 in education (I dunno the current stat, it might have gone DOWN even MORE since the last time I saw it). And yet other stats suggest that more people than ever are attending colleges... which bodes well for the colleges bank accounts... and yet they apparently offer substandard educations to all the extra people enrolled in them. Maybe because they're too busy drilling these ideas into them that suggest people should ignore the attribute of "merit" in any judgement they make. ::)

And his comments about women doing work around the house... I disagree. It's not entirely what a woman CHOOSES to do. It could be said it's what a woman TOLERATES out of her spouse, perhaps. Think about our parents. My dad doesn't do shit around the house for the most part. He doesn't do laundry EVER. He NEVER does dishes. He doesn't vacuum. He doesn't mop. He doesn't cook. He changes light bulbs, he takes out trash, he squashes bugs, it's your typical baby-boomer generation family dynamic. Is that wrong? Maybe, sure. Mom don't work, so she don't complain about doing housework. But when she DID work, she still did all that shit.

If you ask me, that kinda attitude SHOULD change. Maybe I DO pay the mortgage and the property taxes and the utilities, but both of us live here, don't we? Its "OUR" dwelling. Why is any job to do around here somehow not MY job too?

Mowing the lawn though... Nah, that's MY job. Not because I don't think a woman can mow the grass. It's just that I don't want her tearing up my precious John Deere mower running it through ditches at full speed and breaking the axles like my idiot neighbor did to his a couple years back, lol.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline haunted

• I am hollywood.
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #709 on: August 31, 2019, 06:33:42 AM »
This isn't entirely appropriate for the politics thread, but weather media is just as wonky as political media these days.

Floridians get duped every single time into thinking that it's going to hit them, the media throws hurricanes in their face, and Floridians all think their state is the place for all things hurricane-related. Floridian=an expert on hurricanes. Florida IS known for hurricanes, they get hit plenty. Here are the stats for most affected:

http://www.hurricanecity.com/rank.htm (there's my historical data, so now it can belong in this thread :badgrin: )

Florida is seen a lot, but they also have a lot of coastline. Y'all probably remember I grew up in the most hurricane-prone place, which is why I immediately recognized this picture(8am Hurricane Dorian update on the weather channel this morning):

That is a picture of tourists leaving hatteras for hurricane dorian and they are saying it's Floridians looking for gas. I have friends all on the south florida to central florida coast. There's no one at the pumps and gas is readily available.

They never have a good idea where storms are going, which is why you only go off history, warm water(gulf stream), and high pressures. Massive lows like a hurricane do not go near highs.... That's it.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline Sgt. Dick

• Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #710 on: August 31, 2019, 05:57:24 PM »
Gas has not been a problem in Brevard Co (Florida East Coast).  I did have a little trouble getting the ethanol free gas I run in my generator, but after looking in a couple of places, I found someone who still had some.  General supplies were not an issue either, but I went early and stocked up.  Hurricane supplies are things that you will use anyway, so why not just go ahead and get what you need and not wait until everyone is going crazy over them.  It looks like we may dodge the worst of this storm, but being ready is better than winging it.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
aka IOU

Offline quadz

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #711 on: August 31, 2019, 11:56:21 PM »
Mom don't work, so she don't complain about doing housework. But when she DID work, she still did all that shit.

If you ask me, that kinda attitude SHOULD change. Maybe I DO pay the mortgage and the property taxes and the utilities, but both of us live here, don't we? Its "OUR" dwelling. Why is any job to do around here somehow not MY job too?

Indeed; though I think the division of this labor helps highlight the peculiarity of the original video's characterization of these tasks as "unpaid work".

I mean, there's a certain amount of "basic maintenance" that must be done whether one is married or single.

It did take my wife and me a little while to settle into who does what around the house, which ultimately probably sifted by who hates which chore the least, to some degree.

But when we were single, we both did all of these chores ourselves independently (just like any other single person) and I never recall feeling like someone was "supposed" to be paying me to take out the trash; do laundry; dishes; etc.

So I don't know what sort of economy they're fantasizing about when they claim household chores are unpaid labor.

:exqueezeme:

• Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
"He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious."

Offline quadz

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #712 on: September 02, 2019, 11:40:36 AM »
Oh she's out there. People just don't even question it though. I know everyone has always "chosen the news they want to hear", but now they swarm all over it like vultures. And, these are the more passionate people that show up at the voting booth. I actually didn't even fact check it. Despite how dumb she is there HAS to be smarter people around her especially since the left knows she's a nitwit too.

I, for one, support this bold initiative to enhance diversity in our monetary iconography.

Offline Sgt. Dick

• Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #713 on: September 02, 2019, 01:11:58 PM »
 :yessign: :lolsign:
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
aka IOU

Offline haunted

• I am hollywood.
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #714 on: September 02, 2019, 04:58:30 PM »
 :lolsign:
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline haunted

• I am hollywood.
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #715 on: September 02, 2019, 05:59:22 PM »
Have any of y'all messed with crypto currencies? I don't plan on getting to into it myself, but I bought $96 in bitcoin Thursday. I had the idea of using bitcoin for my wagers in with sports, and then thought well maybe it can half-way replenish itself and I can make small bets every now and then. In 4 days, my value in bitcoin has went from 96 to $105.54 , it's a near 10% increase. I know there's ups and downs, but so far it's serving it's purpose. I can now get a "free bet" of $10, parlay it with a chance to win a couple hundred.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline quadz

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #716 on: September 02, 2019, 10:45:29 PM »
Have any of y'all messed with crypto currencies? I don't plan on getting to into it myself, but I bought $96 in bitcoin Thursday.

If your bitcoin is currently controlled by an exchange or other online wallet, here's an important tip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt-zXEsJ61U

"If you control the keys, it's your bitcoin. If you don't control the keys, it's not your bitcoin!"

I had the idea of using bitcoin for my wagers in with sports, and then thought well maybe it can half-way replenish itself and I can make small bets every now and then. In 4 days, my value in bitcoin has went from 96 to $105.54 , it's a near 10% increase. I know there's ups and downs, but so far it's serving it's purpose.

Caution: Don't be surprised if it takes another sharp dive in the upcoming months, like it did at the beginning of 2018. As in down to 1/2 or even 1/3 of its current value. (Can't say it will for sure of course, just don't be surprised.) If that happens and you decided not to sell on the way down, just hold onto it. It seems to rebound in 6 to 18 months.

The following page has a slider where you can zoom in on a range of data and graph bitcoin's historical price and trading volume:

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitcoin/

Notice how it got down to about $3,200 in December 2018, following a high of almost $20,000 a year earlier.

(I'd wanted to buy some around Jan/Feb of this year, as I would have bet it was going back up soon, but funds were too tight at the time.)

:dohdohdoh:

• Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline quadz

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #717 on: September 04, 2019, 10:56:36 PM »
Perhaps a few interesting points made in this article:

The Dumbest Arguments about Gun Control

(I appreciated the author's emphasis on 'friction' as an alternative to black & white thinking in some areas.)

• Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline quadz

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #718 on: September 07, 2019, 03:49:07 PM »
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline quadz

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #719 on: September 08, 2019, 07:48:12 PM »
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

El Box de Shoutamente

Last 10 Shouts:

RyU

Today at 04:31:34 AM
since 06 bro no I dont cheat  :)

-Unh0ly-

November 13, 2019, 10:18:16 AM
uhhhh q2 servers .com is down

-Unh0ly-

November 12, 2019, 10:04:33 PM

|iR|Focalor

November 02, 2019, 12:21:23 AM

Admin

October 28, 2019, 04:24:24 PM
Network outage today affecting various tastyspleen IP addresses. (Should be working again now.)

Unh0ly-rwz-

October 23, 2019, 08:30:22 PM
got some smartass running around telling everyone not to download my texture pak or any of my files off my site , He goes by the name of Trump Camp. His accusations could not be further from the truth. someone is jealous a bit i think.. there are plenty of people who have it that know better .. So d

Admin

October 23, 2019, 04:52:17 PM
Server hosting provider says we were running afoul of their DDOS mitigation system. They've made changes to (hopefully) stop blocking UDP on the tastyspleen server IPs.

otg

October 22, 2019, 01:34:55 PM
servers are all down.

|iR|Focalor

October 17, 2019, 12:48:27 PM
Servers are doing it again.

0rbisson

October 12, 2019, 04:21:10 AM
Miss this game. Will come back for 1 last run some day

Show 50 latest
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 14, 2019, 06:10:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length