Author Topic: ffa vs 1v1 or teamplay  (Read 8211 times)

Offline QuakeDuke

• Swanky Member
  • Spring 2010
    • View Profile
    • Where to find me.
  • Rated:
Re: ffa vs 1v1 or teamplay
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2005, 08:06:48 PM »
you people type too much

Those of us (meaning me) who can't play....... type...

QD
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Well-Reasoned Argument and/or Conclusion
    Demonstrates Exceptional Knowlege of the Game
    Appears Not to Comprehend Game Fundamentals
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Whoosh! You done missed the joke thar Cletus!
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Preposterously Irrational Arguments
    Blindingly Obvious Logical Fallacies
    Absurd Misconstrual of Scientific Principles or Evidence
    Amazing Conspiracy Theory Bro
    Racist Ignoramus
-- There's a reason I live on a hill.....

Offline chacal

• Railz On!
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2005, 08:09:51 PM »
can you re-post that in spanish please.... i want to make sure about what you said.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
Chacal

Offline QuakeDuke

• Swanky Member
  • Spring 2010
    • View Profile
    • Where to find me.
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2005, 08:15:49 PM »
Intellegent dissusion? That's cool. Glad to see a thread *discussing* instead of *cussing* the diffs :) :)

rofl thats so corny its funny
youve got a real good attitude duke, thats pretty cool

Danke

you know whats ironic, when i first got into q2 i TOO was in a clan called DoD, while yours prolly stood for department of defense or something, our clan stood for disciples of doom rofl we were all such newblets back then, i was still just using keyboard, but before i left dod i ended up learning how to use the mouse while playing ctf

Yep dep of def it was... we even had "security" profiles on line.
You played with the disciples? Cool. I played one or two games with some of that clan. Is it still around do ya know?

and as far as my definition of newb, well i use it just to describe someone who just isnt that good, basically a scrub, someone who lacks alot of skill, so as to resemble a beginner  --- snip ---- but ya i pretty much just use it to refer to someone who sucks

Yep what I thought... senior abuse again.... dang, where's a lawyer when ya need one?....

:) ;D :d

QD
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline QuakeDuke

• Swanky Member
  • Spring 2010
    • View Profile
    • Where to find me.
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2005, 08:18:42 PM »
can you re-post that in spanish please.... i want to make sure about what you said.

Moi? Nein.  French or German maybe.... 'course I guess I could break out the ole CD translator :)

QD

PS, If you're really serious I could prolly get my daughter to translate it....

qd
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline daelmun

• Swanky Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2005, 09:24:29 PM »
Ah, nicely written banes. Read that with pleasure :)

Just gonna throw myself into it with this piece of text, not sure if I make any points in this, but always enjoyed writing about different ways of approaching the game.

Been having a similar idea on how different the FFA and tdm/gx gameplay is. And you nicely explained the main differences in gameplay. How the FFA player can still win games without even fragging his hardest opponent even once, by just concentrating on the weaker players and and easier targets. Cause at least in FFA all you really need to do is get a good gun, stay on top of the map, and know the hotspots where players gather and just aim in the middle of the crowd getting frags. When I was new to quake2 and played on zone, that's pretty much how I used to play. Aiming in the middle of crowds, either with rocketlauncher/railgun/grenadelauncher. If I died, it didn't matter all that much for my score, my gameplay wasn't based on roaming the map, it was to attack the hotspots as often as I could. Besides, dying was even a part of the tactic, cause often I ran out of ammo with the gun I used, and using the shotgun or machinegun was just time wasted I could be better of spending after spawn with a better gun.

Allthough there are aspects of the game that are different in FFA and tdm, I must say some still are equally strong in both mods. For instance the spawnfragging; if you are controlling the part of the map with the most spawned enemies you will easily rack up a lot of frags. This happens in tdm all the time, whenever one team gets the upper hand they will always try as hard they can to lock down the map 100% by spawnraping with railgun. As for FFA I can often see the same strategy being used, often players will try to control the spawns in one area with the railgun. Good examples is of course the waterside on q2dm1 and even better the railpool on q2dm3. Starting to play on zone, I still consider spawncamping and even chaining to be cheap in FFA, so it's a tactic I will not use playing FFA. But in tdm the mindset is different, there I go for spawns as often as I can, and certainly when it comes to 1v1.

I personally play a couple of FFA games a day (Ds madhouse for my dayly dose of dm1 FFA), and I am never the top fragger. This could of course be because I'm not all that great a player, but it's just that I also approach FFA quite differently than some. While some people are playing to get on top of the scoreboard and seize every chance they get to rack up some frags, I play it very laid back, almost without thinking at all. I personally focus a lot more on just relaxing while playing without pressure for once. The enjoyment I get isn't from the number of spawnfrags, but more from feeling like the movement is where it should be at, meaning I steal mega and armors in front of stacked players with rail and chain, while doing a 180 degree turn midair placing a rocket in his face, then running half the map around fragging him going up from the lower rocketlauncher to arena. I also dance around the camper at lift/upper rl on q2dm1, before I frag him with a nade or some spammed rockets. If you see me play FFA, you'll probably see me speedrun around the map spamming rockets. My biggest hobby in FFA is to gather rockets and armor :) And also when playing FFA with 3-4 players I also try to not control the map as hard, cause after all, people play FFA and not tdm cause everyone can get a frag and have fun. So I tend to let my guard down quite a bit, allowing players to frag me and not fall back on my gx mindset, where it is all about mapcontrol. Guess I'm getting soft at times, just that it's so easy for players to disconnect in FFA cause there are noone frowning upon people disconnecting in the middle of FFA games, but in tdm it's really frowned upon. It's considered bad sportmanship. If I play it too hard chances are I find myself all alone on the server.

1v1/teamplay on the other hand is a completely different story. Here I play a lot more serious, focusing as you wrote about the finer details in the game. Meaning listening to sounds, cutting off an escaping enemy with smarter choice of route, and even more effecient usage of my movement (controlling armors and weapons with speed, also to quickly move around map when locking it down for some spawnraping). I also use the tdm/gx style of using weapons, rl and rail for the main offense, but finishing off with the chain/ssg. I can stand my ground in 1v1 versus most players, and certainly a lot better than I do in FFA.

Allthough you stress the importance of not dying, it is not always the case. In situations it is actually better to die in order to prevent enemy of getting an item. For instance on quad maps, it is actually better to take the quad before the opponent with only 3 health and then die, than to let the enemy get it while you run away. Remember teamplay is just that, it's about the team. You can't go around running away from battle just to stay alive. Not gonna help your team at all if everyone low on health runs away, cause that will leave the map entierly open for the enemy to take cause noone is there to defend the important areas. A clear mind on when to stand your ground and when to run away is of course needed. If you have a lot of strong weapons, it is of course better to run and gather some health and avoid being killed, and then come back taking use of the weapons you had. Cause then you can help your teams by giving them to newly spawned teammates and so on. But if you have just 4 rockets left, and there are 3 enemys fighting with you, maybe the rockets are better spent in a suicidal attack getting 2 of them low and killing the third. It's the scenarios like these that makes teamplay so intresting in my eyes, where you sacrifice something in order to help the team.

Just picture this in your head: there is 1 strong enemy in megaroom having a railgun, and you see one of your teammates going up from water to attack him rail on rail. Now, the railgun can only hit one target at the time, so if you join your teammate with your blaster or 50 bullets machinegun, you can help out just by being present in the room. Cause then the guy in mega has 2 targets instead of one tp focus on, while your teammate with rail only need to focus on 1. Your teammate willl get the frag, but it was the teamplay that made it easier for him. The beauty of 2v1 situations never cease to amaze me :)

Another matter with 1v1 that is often overlooked in FFA is the nonecombat movement. How to navigate around the map when being out of sight/reach of enemy. In FFA you really don't need that fast movement and ability to do some neat trickjumps. But in 1v1 it can really pay off being able to outrun your enemy. Not only when it comes to chasing, but also when it comes to item controlling, spawnfragging, and just control of an area. A fast player will run from the bottom of arena on q2dm1 to the megaroom-chain stairs, just as fast as it takes a player to go up the lift and go down to the megaroom from lift. Also the way you need to be more aware of where you move, how to vary your routes, where to attack from and how to change the pace of the games to suit yourself. Highspeed when youre stacked, and low speed when youre low on health. All these things are affected by your general movement.

I played a clanmember who is living in Trinidad one day on his own host, he having 56k modem and me living in Norway I pinged 450 or so on his server, while he had 15. He is by no means a bad player, but I'm a more experienced dueller than him. I still managed to beat him on q2dm1 just by using my speed to avoid close combats, and to outrun him when controlling the armors on the map. Also used my soundknowledge to keep him on the defense with timed shots around corners and at spam spots around the map. Knowing where he would retreat when being low I cut off his escapes and finishing him off before he could regain health/armor. Thats the beauty of 1v1, there are a lot of things that makes a good 1v1 player, not only the aim/ping/computer. I wouldn't stand a chance playing him in teams or FFA with that ping, but in 1v1 you have a lot more control on how the games is played.

Anyway, FFA and tdm is quite different, and I agree with the fact that it is easier for a good 1v1/tdm'er
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
<spiderpwnt> sax changed isp's
<spiderpwnt> and they deleted hsi old webspace
<|D|daelmun> :D!
<|D|daelmun> it's ok <|D|daelmun> i still got the one part of the site that is worth having <spid

Offline chacal

• Railz On!
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2005, 11:17:50 PM »
OMGG!!....

im not going to read that....

do you guyz have a 'zipped' version of that??

l
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
Chacal

Offline Slikkster

• Dizzy yet?
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2005, 03:28:38 AM »
1.  Grab weapon
2. Aim
3. Kill
4.  All the while doing some variation of the electric slide.  Matster taught me that trick. 

The above applies to any variation of Q2. 

It's electric!  (try not humming that dopey song now in your head).
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline banes

• Carpal Tunnel Member
  • http://www.peta2.com/takecharge/t-wetseal.asp
    • View Profile
    • im a dork...
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2005, 04:42:37 AM »
SOME HELLA GOOD POINTS

i really like what you said about sacrificing in tdm, i had done it a bit, but i really never thought about it in depth, ill be playin my team games with a new perspective now

another thing in ffa that you brought up that is a good point is how laid back it can be, if youre not in that tense locked race to hit the frag limit, ffa can be very relaxing, you can have alot of fun and not stress so much, when you try to hit the frag, you push yourself more and obviously its not as chill which is another reason many find solace in ffa, honestly more often than not if im gonna play dm im gonna try to hit the frag limit, but im gonna take it more easy from now on, who cares about beating a buncha newbs into a bloody pulp, its not a 1v1, i should save my strength, ima try some of the stuff you said you do, run the map collecting hella rockets and armor and just spam as you strafe jump through out the map, sounds like fun, gg's tonite 3v3s were fun, sorry for leaving abruptly
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
Is it sweet and pure and true?

Pictures and things that I've done before
Circling around me, out here on the floor I'm dreaming this and I'm dreaming that Regretting nothing, think about that

El Box de Shoutamente

Last 10 Shouts:

|iR|Focalor

September 26, 2024, 05:49:19 PM

|iR|Focalor

September 26, 2024, 05:22:51 PM
No, YOU are the liar, Erica had nothing to do with it. YOU sent pictures to everyone in IRC and YOU propagated the story, no one else.

What suffering are you talking about? Are YOU suffering? Is that why you keep coming here being an asshole posting dumb shit like that? Are you the victim?

Costigan_Q2

September 26, 2024, 04:45:01 PM
Okay, we're done here, fuck off.

Costigan_Q2

September 26, 2024, 04:43:05 PM
Erica made up a lie 10 years ago and here you are, again, perpetuating the same lie 10 years later.

Michael, everyone eventually finds the level of suffering they're willing to learn from, even soulless evil filth like you.

|iR|Focalor

September 25, 2024, 11:06:32 PM
You used to tell people that you were trans. Why would you do that?

Costigan_Q2

September 21, 2024, 07:35:35 AM
Members
Total Members: 2921
Latest: provider

Date Registered : March 20, 2024

*laughs in slow clapping*

RyU

September 03, 2024, 05:15:49 PM
And wow Derrick is still playing lol

RyU

September 03, 2024, 05:15:15 PM
Just know yesterday is gone and soon tomorrow will be gone too  :)

Lejionator

August 08, 2024, 07:28:01 PM
It's tiem to QuakeCon!!!  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThQd_UJaTys

ImperiusDamian

July 26, 2024, 09:34:53 PM
In nomine Quake II et Id Software et Spiritus John Carmack, Amen.

Show 50 latest
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 10:16:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length