Author Topic: DM server suggestions: max players, new maps  (Read 4013 times)

Offline Shloo

• View Profile
  • Rated:
Re: DM server suggestions: max players, new maps
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2022, 10:44:51 AM »
Usually April fool's is reserved for reverse edge.  Though I like the idea of adding edge_turbo and maybe a few others as well next April... 
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Well-Reasoned Argument and/or Conclusion
    Demonstrates Exceptional Knowlege of the Game
    Appears Not to Comprehend Game Fundamentals
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Whoosh! You done missed the joke thar Cletus!
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Preposterously Irrational Arguments
    Blindingly Obvious Logical Fallacies
    Absurd Misconstrual of Scientific Principles or Evidence
    Amazing Conspiracy Theory Bro
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline Sgt. Dick

• Loquaciously Multiloquent Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2022, 09:33:54 PM »
2BOX4!  :dohdohdoh:

(No. Don't actually do that, I was kidding.)

(But if you wanna... next April 1st, make the server only able play NOTHING but 2box4 ALL DAY LONG.) :lolsign:

:lolsign: :yessign:
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
aka IOU

Offline bvughtoonice

• Swanky Member
  • Join Quake Legacy Mod Revival Discord!
    • View Profile
    • Mod Revival made easy on discord chat!
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2022, 12:37:58 AM »
Please add 4bidden maps would love to play them on dm ffa server with lots of players the maps are so good I think people would enjoy them

I don’t know how to cite maps on dm server yet maybe I’ll learn someday
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
Bring more Life back to your favorite mod! on discord chat!#gloom #vortex #qpong #kots #giex #q2jump #ra2 #wod #wodx #railwarz #LMCTF #LFireCTF #expertctf https://quakelegacy.com/

Offline |iR|Focalor

• Irrepressibly Profuse Member
  • Help Destroy America: VOTE DEMOCRAT
    • View Profile
    • Focalor's Horrible Website: We Rape You Til The Room Stinks
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2022, 09:58:07 AM »
From the shoutbox:

0rbisson
Today at 07:28:57 AM
Please remove tltf from dm server. why is it even on there? worse map in quake history. its a server clearer

It's not so bad. It's "unusual" for a Q2 map. I've played it a few times and never really noticed that many people leaving because of it. But verily I say unto thee, as the great Dalton hath spoken in the movie Road House, the greatest movie of all time...

The other Q3 map on there (I forget the name, the one with the really tall bounce pad jump up to the RL where people always want to camp) seems to be pushing the limits of what the game can handle, especially in large crowds. I sometimes get disappearing rocket projectile models, disappearing explosion models, etc.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 10:37:49 AM by |iR|Focalor »
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline pepp5

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2022, 05:21:42 PM »
The other Q3 map on there (I forget the name, the one with the really tall bounce pad jump up to the RL where people always want to camp)

That sounds like campgrounds.bsp.  I don't see what you mean by limits being pushed though. I'm on a non-windows client on a mac laptop and it runs fine for me even with 16 players on it.  Player clutter wise, it's one of the few maps I can tolerate with 10+ players because it's so large.

The problem with tltf is that it is very rail-oriented, with long, distant shots.  So it favors lower pings a lot more than other maps. I got my ass handed to me on tltf the other night by a euro player on a euro server with 45 ping him, 160 ping me.  It's a different game between the 15 to 40 range and the 120 to 200 range of pings.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 08:57:36 AM by pepp5 »
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline Bibi

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2022, 06:43:38 AM »
From the shoutbox:

0rbisson
Today at 07:28:57 AM
Please remove tltf from dm server. why is it even on there? worse map in quake history.its a server clearer

It's not so bad. It's "unusual" for a Q2 map. I've played it a few times and never really noticed that many people leaving because of it. But verily I say unto thee, as the great Dalton hath spoken in the movie Road House, the greatest movie of all time...

The other Q3 map on there (I forget the name, the one with the really tall bounce pad jump up to the RL where people always want to camp) seems to be pushing the limits of what the game can handle, especially in large crowds. I sometimes get disappearing rocket projectile models, disappearing explosion models, etc.

Having played this map on the dm server, I can tell you I have never seen this map clear the server when I am playing.  In fact it is usually close to a full house if not a full house and everyone seems to be fragging their hearts out.  I believe this is originally a Quake3 map converted to Quake2.  I don't mind the map.  It is something different.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline Clippy

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2022, 09:21:12 AM »
its a good map along with Campgrounds, both good Quake 3 maps converted to Q2, they are both better than some of the spamfest maps that get voted a lot.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline |iR|Focalor

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2022, 12:25:36 AM »
The other Q3 map on there (I forget the name, the one with the really tall bounce pad jump up to the RL where people always want to camp)

That sounds like campgrounds.bsp.  I don't see what you mean by limits being pushed though. I'm on a non-windows client on a mac laptop and it runs fine for me even with 16 players on it.  Player clutter wise, it's one of the few maps I can tolerate with 10+ players because it's so large.

I wasn't suggesting removing it.

But I'm definitely not imagining what I'm seeing sometimes. I would've been tempted to say it could've been due to my old and failing video card, which did go pretty much full "fail" on me right before the Quadz birthday FFA thing. I was visit the forums here on firefox when suddenly the screen broke in half (right side of screen displaying on left side of monitor, and vice versa) with weird shifted colors. Before that, the monitor kept flickering like it was changing display modes anytime a video or gif was on the screen. And for the past few years, the fan has been making ungodly amounts of noise, likely bearings worn out. I remember asking Quadz if a virus could be doing something to make the fan in my PSU make noise, because the fan on my video card was so damned small that I didn't realize it was a fan at all. Whenever I looked up images of my video card on google, all of them looked like they had passive cooling heatsink fins with NO FAN. So when I was running up and down the road 20 times right after covid hit to get new PSU's only to find the NOISE WAS STILL THERE... turns out, it was probably that damned video card the WHOLE TIME. :dohdohdoh: I ended up spending about 300 bucks on a WAAAAAY overpowered modular PSU for that machine because it was the "best" PSU that Microcenter had at the time.

Anyway, I swapped that 1gb card out for a newer GT 730 2gb card, and was instantly able to achieve a higher fps than before (120hz vs 75hz)... but during the Quadz FFA thing when campgrounds came up, again I was getting a performance hit, stuttering video (sluggish frame rate) in some parts of the map, rockets disappearing and only seeing the particle trails, no explosion models, etc. Client could have something to do with it maybe. I think I'm on an older version of R1Q2, 2008 maybe, and I'm thinking I intentionally used the older one because the newer version did something that broke single player or coop, can't really remember.

I probably just need to get with the times and use whatever everyone else is using now.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline Clippy

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2022, 03:06:07 PM »

I wasn't suggesting removing it.

But I'm definitely not imagining what I'm seeing sometimes. I would've been tempted to say it could've been due to my old and failing video card, which did go pretty much full "fail" on me right before the Quadz birthday FFA thing. I was visit the forums here on firefox when suddenly the screen broke in half (right side of screen displaying on left side of monitor, and vice versa) with weird shifted colors. Before that, the monitor kept flickering like it was changing display modes anytime a video or gif was on the screen. And for the past few years, the fan has been making ungodly amounts of noise, likely bearings worn out. I remember asking Quadz if a virus could be doing something to make the fan in my PSU make noise, because the fan on my video card was so damned small that I didn't realize it was a fan at all. Whenever I looked up images of my video card on google, all of them looked like they had passive cooling heatsink fins with NO FAN. So when I was running up and down the road 20 times right after covid hit to get new PSU's only to find the NOISE WAS STILL THERE... turns out, it was probably that damned video card the WHOLE TIME. :dohdohdoh: I ended up spending about 300 bucks on a WAAAAAY overpowered modular PSU for that machine because it was the "best" PSU that Microcenter had at the time.

Anyway, I swapped that 1gb card out for a newer GT 730 2gb card, and was instantly able to achieve a higher fps than before (120hz vs 75hz)... but during the Quadz FFA thing when campgrounds came up, again I was getting a performance hit, stuttering video (sluggish frame rate) in some parts of the map, rockets disappearing and only seeing the particle trails, no explosion models, etc. Client could have something to do with it maybe. I think I'm on an older version of R1Q2, 2008 maybe, and I'm thinking I intentionally used the older one because the newer version did something that broke single player or coop, can't really remember.

I probably just need to get with the times and use whatever everyone else is using now.

tbh the GT 730 is a pretty crap card as well  ;D  , i had a GTX970 a while back and it held 144fps at 1440p with no problems at all, have since upgraded to something better again, but id say the stuttering your suffering with is no doubt due to the video card,  maybe cpu/ram depending on what they are, but most likely the GPU.

just a note to say the 700 series are no longer supported by nvidia , so no new drivers etc, so  it will have performance problems
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline |iR|Focalor

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2022, 02:02:14 PM »
It came in the ibuypower pc I bought off of Amazon late last year. I guess ibuypower had some older stuff they needed to clear out, and the video card shortage was in full effect, so they just stuck these bare minimum things in there to get people to buy them. It's a mini-ATX motherboard with a smaller sized case, and I bought it for 2 reasons. #1... OOOOO PRITTY COLURZ ON TEH FANZ0rz!!!1!  and #2, it was the cheapest thing that had a traditional PSU in it. HP and Dell had some similarly dirt cheap priced systems, but they didn't have a glass sided case, and they had odd-ball smaller size proprietary PSU's in them... so if the PSU fails, you gotta buy a replacement FROM THEM in order to have the right size PSU chasis and proprietary plugs coming off of it.

For example... LOL, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS CRAP!?!

They cram these ridiculously designed proprietary PSU's in their builds to save space. PSU's are gonna fail. And I'm not really sure, it might depend on the model, but you probably aren't going to be able to run up to your local Microcenter or Best Buy and get a replacement off the shelf, it's likely something that'll need to be ordered, and then you gotta wait 2 weeks, and meanwhile you've got no computer.

NAH.

So I opted for a machine that came with a standard sized everyday power supply that I can replace easily.

Anyway, the GT730 2gb is still an "upgrade" from the previous Radeon hd4250 1gb (or something like that, can't remember the actual model). I forget what the CPU is in that old machine too. It's a Win7 box that I got in 2011 I think, slow as turtles screwing compared to my new box.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline pepp5

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2023, 07:43:41 PM »
Hey, it looks like my suggestions finally got some traction recently. :-)
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline pepp5

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2023, 01:48:18 AM »
From some offline conversations with various players on the phone. To mix it up a bit more often:

- One custom mymap option after the first four (q2dm1 - q2dm4)
- One or two custom mymap options after the second four (q2dm5 - q2dm8) as it has been for years.
- ?

The old days of mutant, vanilla, ffa, being more active are just not a reality now. FFA is just an overflow from the 16 player limit on DM, which actually does work out well most of the time.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

El Box de Shoutamente

Last 10 Shouts:

RyU

September 03, 2024, 05:15:49 PM
And wow Derrick is still playing lol

RyU

September 03, 2024, 05:15:15 PM
Just know yesterday is gone and soon tomorrow will be gone too  :)

Lejionator

August 08, 2024, 07:28:01 PM
It's tiem to QuakeCon!!!  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThQd_UJaTys

ImperiusDamian

July 26, 2024, 09:34:53 PM
In nomine Quake II et Id Software et Spiritus John Carmack, Amen.

QuakeDuke

July 26, 2024, 05:10:30 PM
Hey, shout, summertime blues
Jump up and down in you blue suede shoes
Hey, did you rock and roll? Rock on!!  ...QD

Yotematoi

July 24, 2024, 01:31:20 PM
Ayer me mato 5 veces para robarme en la vida real hará lo mismo? [img]<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid0wXU2VgS7atesBcSoMz5BWMJCJajeZFVT6GzSU6TtpJGddN9kLTvWNgcZaskkbKFQl&amp;show_text=true&amp;width=500
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid0wXU2VgS7atesBcSoMz5BWMJCJajeZFVT6GzSU6TtpJGddN9kLTvWNgcZaskkbKFQl&show_text=true&width=500" width="500"

Yotematoi

July 24, 2024, 01:25:59 PM
hi ya está la basura de Martin, se cambió el nombre es un ladron estupido, asi llegó a 10000[img]<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid03hZrkDUBJPZKCuFgy5hRUy831ekKJYVRzC7ajXaKQbJ6xcPgKftLukUDfovFyEq3l&amp;show_text
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid03hZrkDUBJPZKCuFgy5hRUy831ekKJYVRzC7ajXaKQbJ6xcPgKftLukUDfovFyEq3l&show_text

Yotematoi

July 24, 2024, 01:25:59 PM
hi ya está la basura de Martin, se cambió el nombre es un ladron estupido, asi llegó a 10000[img]<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid03hZrkDUBJPZKCuFgy5hRUy831ekKJYVRzC7ajXaKQbJ6xcPgKftLukUDfovFyEq3l&amp;show_text
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fzoloyoze.torito%2Fposts%2Fpfbid03hZrkDUBJPZKCuFgy5hRUy831ekKJYVRzC7ajXaKQbJ6xcPgKftLukUDfovFyEq3l&show_text

-Unh0ly-

July 05, 2024, 05:20:36 AM

Show 50 latest
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2024, 04:50:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length