Author Topic: another terrorist attack  (Read 342190 times)

Online |iR|Focalor

• Irrepressibly Profuse Member
  • OFFO
    • View Profile
    • Focalor's Lair @ Tastyspleen.net
  • Rated:
Re: another terrorist attack
« Reply #1695 on: March 11, 2015, 07:19:40 AM »
But I also fully expected some amount of cached WMD's to be discovered post-invasion--I never would have expected Saddam to have truly stopped research and production of all but what were termed "low level" biological weapons by the Iraq Survey Group. I also generally bought into the idea of the swift victory: roll in with overwhelming force; overthrow the regime quickly; be greeted as liberators; set up a nice fledgling democracy; get out quick.

Yeah, I think EVERYONE did, including the GW Bush administration. The look on my own face when they came back saying, "Uh... we didn't really find anything." was one of a slight smirk like when some dickhead raise-rapes you into folding at poker and he was totally bluffing his balls off. And I can imagine the almost choreographed sound of simultaneous forehead slapping echoing through the White House that day was loud enough to be heard 2 blocks away. :D "Are you SHITTING ME!?! NONE!?! ... Well can we just plant a couple?" :dohdohdoh:

And if there's only one instance where a person can state, "Hitler was right.", it's about how to invade the fuck out of a country. You do it hard, you do it fast, and you do it in LARGE numbers. It's impossible for the enemy to organize a counter-offensive when they're preoccupied with the task of running for their lives. That's how the initial Iraq 2 invasion was so successful. They ran a virtual wall of Abrahams tanks at them, guns blazing, pedal to the fucking floor, and they didn't even stop to take a quick shit (and if they did, they sure as hell didn't waste time wiping).

Sure, we still have by far the largest military budget, but we need to be innovating at the leading edge of technology. We can't just buy it from elsewhere.

BUY it? Come on, dude, this is America! Why buy something outright when you can steal it. :D Pretty sure that's kinda-sorta the way the nuclear bomb came out. We kinda "stole" scientists out from under Hitler. Luckily the right ones, cuz he still had plenty of his own and they were in the process of developing nuclear weapons before Stalin kicked down the front door and stole everything. And I'd also suggest that we're still doing a pretty good job of leading the race in battlefield technology, at least presently. You'd be shocked and appalled to see the numbers of battlefield weapons technologies that we're selling to anyone and everyone. So not only are WE the most deadly fighting force the world has ever known, we're doing our part to make EVERYONE ELSE pretty fucking lethal too all in the name of good ole American capitalism. And not only that, but quite a lot of it is "technically" illegal to use in combat. But... if everyone's guilty, then no one's guilty, so fuck it. Shells with uranium in them? When it hits something, yeah, it knocks a bigger better crater in it, but it disperses radioactive particles everywhere. Oooooops. Armor plating containing uranium? When anything hits it, it disperses it's radioactive shit all over the place too. Ooops again.

I tend to disagree that we'll fall behind on technology, at least as far as warfare technology goes. I guess we can consider that the ONE good point about our governments nosey spying tendencies. And as for things like the LHC: No doubt that project was expensive as all immortal fuck. Seems to make more business sense to let our friends in Europe spend all their money building it whilst we collect any and all knowledge gained from it. Christ, our already several trillion dollar national debt ain't getting any smaller. And so far they haven't figured out how to make tanks or jets invisible with it, and I doubt they ever will, so you can't really fault Uncle Sam for not giving a shit about it. If it's not gonna give us the ability to make shit blow up more impressively, then Washington has other shit to do. We seem to be making progress with weaponized lasers and railgun development though. If you thought getting pulverized by small chunks of metal screaming at you at 1000+ mph was pretty horrifying, just imagine getting blow-torched in half by a concentrated laser that moves 600,000 times faster than a bullet.

Unfortunately for you, it sounds like these Bible-thumping stone-aged Republican morons are gonna be getting some ammo in their anti-Big Bang Theory fight. From what I've been reading recently, science is becoming increasing convinced that the Big Bang Theory, as far as a "big bang" in the traditional sense goes, isn't entirely correct. Which, honestly, has always made sense to me. I know we've gotten into the issue of "the universe and space are not entirely limitless voids" before, but I'm still holding firm to my belief that space is an infinite void of nothingness. And it makes all the sense in the world to me that ONE big bang is improbable to the point of impossibility. We see stars and supernovas and black holes and those are all miniature big bangs. And if space really is infinite (which I think it is) then the idea that all matter came from only ONE cataclysmic event... is as preposterous as believing that all matter came from only one god.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Well-Reasoned Argument and/or Conclusion
    Demonstrates Exceptional Knowlege of the Game
    Appears Not to Comprehend Game Fundamentals
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Whoosh! You done missed the joke thar Cletus!
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Preposterously Irrational Arguments
    Blindingly Obvious Logical Fallacies
    Absurd Misconstrual of Scientific Principles or Evidence
    Amazing Conspiracy Theory Bro
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline quadz

• Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #1696 on: March 11, 2015, 02:02:46 PM »
Unfortunately for you, it sounds like these Bible-thumping stone-aged Republican morons are gonna be getting some ammo in their anti-Big Bang Theory fight.

But: I don't have the view that it is unfortunate when we learn new things about the universe. :sunshine:

From what I've been reading recently, science is becoming increasing convinced that the Big Bang Theory, as far as a "big bang" in the traditional sense goes, isn't entirely correct.

There are multiple issues here. The big bang theory has never been 'entirely correct', it's just the best fit we have for multiple lines of evidence, and it also makes accurate predictions. But there are plenty of remaining mysteries: we don't have a quantum theory of gravity; we don't know what is driving the accelerating expansion of the universe; (did inflation actually occur?); etc...

New proposals in cosmology are published with some frequency, are digested onto science blogs, and occasionally get picked up by the mainstream press. Most such proposals turn out to be wrong (i.e. don't fit all known evidence, don't make accurate predictions) -- but that sort of follow-up tends not to make it onto yahoo news (or whichever.)

Here's one that made the rounds recently:

http://phys.org/news/2015-02-big-quantum-equation-universe.html

That one doesn't appear to be getting a lot of traction, in part because it may cheat a bit (plugs in an observed value for the 'cosmological constant' by hand as a fudge factor...?)

It's great that people are exploring various new ideas, but science only becomes 'increasingly convinced' when they actually work.

Which, honestly, has always made sense to me. I know we've gotten into the issue of "the universe and space are not entirely limitless voids" before, but I'm still holding firm to my belief that space is an infinite void of nothingness. And it makes all the sense in the world to me that ONE big bang is improbable to the point of impossibility. We see stars and supernovas and black holes and those are all miniature big bangs. And if space really is infinite (which I think it is) then the idea that all matter came from only ONE cataclysmic event... is as preposterous as believing that all matter came from only one god.

We can imagine all sorts of things if we're unconstrained by evidence. But as Feynman put it, "Science is imagination in a straitjacket."

We've had observational evidence since 1929 that the universe is expanding. We have evidence the universe used to be hotter, and evidence that about 13.5 billion years ago it was so much smaller and hotter and denser as to form a plasma with electrons knocking around free of their atomic nuclei at over 3500 degrees Kelvin.

Smaller and hotter then; larger and cooler now, and still expanding...

The big bang theory also makes a number of predictions which we've subsequently been able to verify.

As in, "If the big bang happened, then we should be able to send up a satellite and measure these precise values..."

- precise ratios of amounts of deuterium, helium 3, and lithium 7 that should be present today

- precise temperature curve of radiation today leftover from that early hot plasma

And so we send up the satellites and indeed find the measurements of our instruments match the predicted values.

It's not that the big bang theory is gospel, it just works really well. Its predictive power lends confidence that it is describing something that is actually true about our universe.

If a new theory is someday developed that fits all the evidence even better, and explains even more phenomena than the big bang, and makes new testable predictions, then great: we'll have learned some new stuff. But any such theory is at least in some sense going to have to be BigBang++, because it will have to account for all that evidence we can already measure (expanding, cooling universe) that the current theory handles very well.

:exqueezeme:

• Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
"He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious."

Online |iR|Focalor

• OFFO
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #1697 on: March 11, 2015, 10:48:00 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/12/world/middleeast/isis-ramadi-tikrit-iraqi-army.html?_r=1

Good news for once, I suppose. Looks like Shi'a and Sunni militia are actually working well together for a change. Over the past year they've been getting their asses systematically handed to them because of inept training, leadership, and the inability to be battle-ready. With any luck they'll have continued success and be able to reclaim Ramadi and hopefully Fallujah.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline yahoo

• Opulent Member
  • Quake II | Powered by SMF 1.0.9.
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #1698 on: March 12, 2015, 12:02:19 AM »
if im not mistaken, Iran had thrown it weight into training and supporting them.
Heck, and if they beat ISIS, they will  be back to fighting among themselves.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
Quake II | Powered by SMF 1.0.9.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.

Online |iR|Focalor

• OFFO
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #1699 on: March 12, 2015, 03:23:39 AM »
Yeah, I don't mind that quite as much though. It's when assholes like the Islamic State declare their leader the Caliphate (which is kinda like the Muslim equivalent of the Catholic pope) that I start getting antsy. Lately I've read up on some of this stuff trying to finally make coherent sense of it, because for so long I've heard all these terms like "Sunni" and "Shiite" and "Muslim Brotherhood" and "Palestinian" and never really knew what the fuck any of it was, nor did I really have much of a reason to give a shit. But if I'm not mistaken, the "Caliphate" was banned sometime around WW1, I guess after the Germans convinced the Ottoman empire to join the war, and they were all excited as shit to call every Muslim to join the jihad, but eventually got the ever loving dog shit kicked out of them when they attempted to invade the Caucasus mountains. After WW1, the Ottoman Empire was divided up and the Caliphate was banned for a very good reason. To hopefully make it harder for these crazy bastards to become one huge united army and start picking shit with their neighbors again. I mean... fuck. What the fuck did the Romans DO to these people that made them stay so pissed off for 2000 years straight? Still haven't found the answer to that one yet in any of my reading.

I mean... ugh. It's been nothing but war after war after war in that region for the last 1500+ fucking years that it's no wonder why most Americans have no idea what to think about all the shit going on over there. It would be nice to see a situation where the sunni and shi'a and kurds could work to stomp out these little ISIL bastards and then coexist together and go a few decades without killing each other like civilized people living in THIS century should be able to, but... it's probably not gonna happen. ::)

I suppose it could happen, though. All you'd have to do is send the US military over there in full force, eradicate all the ISIL and their support groups, then occupy the area with lots of military police and hold democratic elections... which is what happened already. But as you can see, that only makes them consider us to be like the old Roman conquerors, and they fucking hate our guts for it. It's like... the only way they're happy is when they're miserable from having to kill each other all the time. Buncha crazy fuckin' fucks!
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Online |iR|Focalor

• OFFO
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #1700 on: March 14, 2015, 04:29:27 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/12/world/middleeast/isis-ramadi-tikrit-iraqi-army.html?_r=1

Good news for once, I suppose. Looks like Shi'a and Sunni militia are actually working well together for a change. Over the past year they've been getting their asses systematically handed to them because of inept training, leadership, and the inability to be battle-ready. With any luck they'll have continued success and be able to reclaim Ramadi and hopefully Fallujah.

Ooooh, I'd hate to be one of these ISIS fags holed up in Tikrit right about now. :D These bastards are pretty much completely surrounded by Iraqi forces outnumbering them by about 100 to 1 (maybe 40 to 1 at the least). From what I can tell, they really have no way of getting reinforced or resupplied. And yet it looks like the Iraqis have been holding for the past couple of days waiting on reinforcements themselves, which I can't fucking understand the reasoning for it. :frustration: Something about them not having the properly trained personnel or whatever. I dunno, maybe they're waiting on troops with more expertise in locating and mitigating roadside bombs and booby traps. But from the looks of it, since ISIS in Tikrit probably ain't gonna get any reinforcements or ammo, it's just a waiting game and Iraqi victory in Tikrit is all but guaranteed within the next week or two. Now if these Iraqi pro-government Shiite militia psychos can just keep from murdering a bunch of unarmed Sunni natives when it's done (which they've been known to do before), then we'll finally have something truly good to celebrate. :thumbsup:
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline quadz

• Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #1701 on: May 03, 2015, 09:51:56 PM »

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=506_1430660413

"A humvee explodes, having been hit by an RPG, blasting the hapless Shiite militiamen in the process."

Wow, that Humvee must have been well-stocked with explosives.

• Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
"He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious."

Offline QwazyWabbit

• Carpal Tunnel Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #1702 on: May 04, 2015, 04:14:50 PM »
That was awfully close for an RPG shot too. Can you say rocket jump?

From what I've been told by some vets who've been there, the Iraqi army is still not skilled it the warrior arts and are prone to these kinds of rookie mistakes. They need 40+:1 advantage just to ensure success against their opponents.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline Sgt. Dick

• Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #1703 on: May 05, 2015, 03:40:19 PM »
They need 40+:1 advantage just to ensure success against their opponents.

Similar to a Cow in Q2  :biggungrin:
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
aka IOU

Offline haunted

• Inexorably Palaverous Member
  • I am hollywood.
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline quadz

• Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #1705 on: June 30, 2015, 09:52:46 AM »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/new-emails-show-state-wh-teamed-up-to-promote-benghazi-narrative/article/2567279

So... I suppose I'd like to ask the author of that article:

The messaging goals included the need "to underscore that these protests are rooted in an Internet video, and not a broader failure of policy."

That's it?

(In other words, I began reading it hoping for a bit more than the single facet of the story that's been bleeding obvious from the start.)

• Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline The Dreaming Dragon

• Carpal Tunnel Member
  • " ! "
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline Sgt. Dick

• Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #1707 on: July 16, 2015, 03:49:18 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/chattanooga-active-shooter-officer-down-live-coverage-154953657.html

24-year-old Mohammod Youssuf Abdulazeez  :grrrr: :grrrr:

The shooter is dead but still, his death was to easy on him.  I would love to see him have pig guts poured on him and the lit on fire (to cook the pork of course).
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
aka IOU

Offline Sgt. Dick

• Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #1708 on: August 14, 2015, 08:08:57 PM »
A World Trade Center Beam arrived today at work.  This beam will be part of a memorial at the center's main fire station.

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/tech/science/space/2015/08/13/beam-rolls-brevard-friday/31661991/

Our shop's waterjet machine cut out the metal for the 343 plate that is already part of the memorial. (see story below)

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/tech/science/space/2015/07/30/world-trade-center-beam-complete-ksc-firefighters-memorial/30908405/

• Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
aka IOU

Online |iR|Focalor

• OFFO
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #1709 on: June 12, 2016, 11:26:39 AM »
50 dead, 53 wounded in Florida fruit bar terrorist shooting rampage. Am I the only one a little disappointed in the common traditional All-American psychopath for allowing these diaper-headed sand monkeys to show us up at the recreational sport of public mass shooting rampages which WEEEEEEEEEE fucking invented!?! How depressing. But on the bright side, maybe this will get a few of these ultra-PC gay rights folks to see that the "Islamophobia" they've been rabidly accusing some of the conservative folks of isn't entirely such a bad stance to have on the matter. It's a holy war. If they wanna keep the right pick whatever gender's HOLE they wanna put it in, they better get used to the idea of having to do violent things to other people with differing political or religious views. Violence never solved anything... said only the idiots who neglected to pay close enough attention to every chapter of every history book ever fucking written. DUH!
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

El Box de Shoutamente

Last 10 Shouts:

quadz

May 27, 2020, 01:20:31 PM
(launch scrubbed due to weather)

-Unh0ly-

May 22, 2020, 01:44:29 AM
NEW WEBSITE
http://www.unholyq2.com
NEW WEBSITE

Admin

May 21, 2020, 02:46:32 PM
(an OS upgrade last weekend broke the shoutbox - working again now)

Punk_FAS

May 14, 2020, 12:10:28 PM

Prophet

May 03, 2020, 11:35:42 AM
Moo moo? MooOooooo

Waffle Whiffer

May 03, 2020, 08:19:10 AM
Moo

Reefer

April 27, 2020, 05:15:19 PM
2dum thank you — I will be keeping your awesome RA2 map guide handy! Not to infringe your copyright, but I am 2dum to find the 2nd church, even with what is probably a screenshot of it. TY again will keep combing!

2d

April 25, 2020, 03:46:23 PM
Reefer: http://forum.tastyspleen.net/quake/index.php?topic=21180.0

7th post on page 1, i made an ra2 map list a while ago, should have all maps ;)

|iR|Focalor

April 20, 2020, 02:14:45 AM

Why yes, it is indeed the greatest movie ever.

Show 50 latest
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2020, 01:19:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length