Author Topic: Post Musical Equipment Here....  (Read 34872 times)

Offline |iR|Focalor

• Irrepressibly Profuse Member
  • OFFO
    • View Profile
    • Focalor's Lair @ Tastyspleen.net
  • Rated:
Re: Post Musical Equipment Here....
« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2019, 06:25:39 AM »
Wasn't much of a Type O Negative fan past the October Rust album. But from what I remember during the Bloody Kisses and October Rust period, Kenny Hickey used a Fernandes Revolver, which is a strat looking thing, but it came with some kind of special "Fernandes Sustainer" system on-board, which was some kind of feedback looper thingy that he used create a lot of those feedback squeals and long sustains heard so often on those two albums.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Well-Reasoned Argument and/or Conclusion
    Demonstrates Exceptional Knowlege of the Game
    Appears Not to Comprehend Game Fundamentals
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Whoosh! You done missed the joke thar Cletus!
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Preposterously Irrational Arguments
    Blindingly Obvious Logical Fallacies
    Absurd Misconstrual of Scientific Principles or Evidence
    Amazing Conspiracy Theory Bro
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline |iR|Focalor

• OFFO
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #121 on: October 06, 2019, 05:54:21 AM »
I'm considering getting into synths, kinda because I like some of the synth and mellotron sounds that bands like Pink Floyd, Genesis, and ELP used back in the 70's. I can't really play piano though. But at these prices... maybe I could learn.

Behringer makes a dirt dirt dirt cheap line of guitar effects pedals, the cheapest in the business probably. And apparently some of them aren't terrible. People say the Behringer chorus pedal is comparable to the sound of a Boss chorus. Others aren't so great. They have one pedal that attempts to copy the somewhat-rare and sought after Boss Heavy Metal distortion pedal, and it's not a good approximation, the midrange is way off.

I hadn't been paying attention, but apparently they're making synths and synth consoles now too, and they're very affordable compared to the Moog's. According to reviews, Moog is a little better quality, but while you might "get what you pay for", it looks like you can get close enough for less money.

Behringer Neutron goes for 300 at Guitar Center. This one has a patchbay onboard that routes everything in any crazy way you can imagine.

<span data-s9e-mediaembed="youtube" style="display:inline-block;width:100%;max-width:640px"><span style="display:block;overflow:hidden;position:relative;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe allowfullscreen="" scrolling="no" style="background:url(https://i.ytimg.com/vi/xfD8RmALHwQ/hqdefault.jpg) 50% 50% / cover;border:0;height:100%;left:0;position:absolute;width:100%" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xfD8RmALHwQ"></iframe></span></span><br /><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xfD8RmALHwQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xfD8RmALHwQ</a>
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline |iR|Focalor

• OFFO
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2019, 10:55:52 AM »
Spotted this piece on the Guitar Center site, selling at the Lake Forest CA store.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/In-Store-Vintage/Vintage-Vintage-1960s-Binson-Guild-Echorec-Effect-Pedal-115774476.gc

I'm pretty sure it's not the same model since it's branded "Guild", but if you've ever seen the Pink Floyd Live from Pompeii film, this is the strange multi-head delay unit that David Gilmour is seen sitting on ground and manipulating the knobs off to get some of those trippy echo sounds. They are highly collectible, and honestly, I'm surprised someone would've hocked one to Guitar Center of all places.

Here's a good demo of one in action, although the guy isn't really "playing" very much through it, just plucking to muted notes mostly to show the different styles of repeats it renders. A really really cool old school echo unit. The next pedal I add to my board in progress is probably gonna be a delay, and Catalinbread makes an "Echorec" delay pedal based on the sound of these old units. I'm still on the fence, debating whether to try one or just go with a more traditional tape echo type of pedal like the Dunlop Echoplex I've been eyeing.

<span data-s9e-mediaembed="youtube" style="display:inline-block;width:100%;max-width:640px"><span style="display:block;overflow:hidden;position:relative;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe allowfullscreen="" scrolling="no" style="background:url(https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Ws2GPpHuxlk/hqdefault.jpg) 50% 50% / cover;border:0;height:100%;left:0;position:absolute;width:100%" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ws2GPpHuxlk"></iframe></span></span><br /><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Ws2GPpHuxlk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Ws2GPpHuxlk</a>

In the video, he has the top cover off the unit and you can see the revolving drum and each of the 8 or so magnetic heads that read from the drum as it turns.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline quadz

• Phenomenally Prodigious Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2019, 09:36:48 PM »
In the video, he has the top cover off the unit and you can see the revolving drum and each of the 8 or so magnetic heads that read from the drum as it turns.

Cool to see it in operation.

I understand one of these was used to produce the echo on John Bonham's When The Levee Breaks drums (contrary to an apparent urban legend stating echo occurred naturally in the room.)

• Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
"He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious."

Offline |iR|Focalor

• OFFO
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #124 on: October 26, 2019, 11:45:37 PM »
What the fuck is Fender thinking? I can't believe they're actually shipping these guitars out with fingerboards that look like that. I can't believe they're allowing Guitar Center to post photos of their guitars looking like this. It looks like SHIT!!! It looks like someone wiped their ass with the fingerboards. From what I can tell, ALL of their American guitars with ebony fingerboards look similar to this. I think only the American Elites and Custom Shop models have ebony as an option, the lower priced ones are maple, rosewood, or that pau ferro shit. Who's gonna pay 2 grand or more for one of these things looking like this? Yeah, not all ebony is gonna be uniformly dark, I get that. But you'd think the pieces they choose from the pile to use on a 2000 dollar "top shelf" American Fender guitar WOULD be. :ohlord:

• Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline |iR|Focalor

• OFFO
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2019, 05:08:53 AM »
I suppose this could be shoehorned into this thread, since it's about Willie Nelson's musical equipment specifically.

Came across this blog/article thing in my Firefox startup "recommended" stuff. It talks about "Trigger", Willie Nelson's old late 60's Martin classical guitar.

Being sentimental about your guitars is one thing, but... I dunno, on the other hand, I'd personally be SO sentimental about such a guitar that I'd probably be hesitant to bring it with me everywhere and virtually destroy it like he's done. He's played it so much that the top sounding board is probably 50% worn off (in the places where it's NOT 100% gone). He's got signatures from EVERYBODY on it, many people who are dead now, and most of them you'll never be able to make out who signed it and where. Is the continued usage of this guitar "sentimental" or evidence of "mental illness" (hoarding habits, etc)? When he finally kicks the bucket... and he's probably older than most people realize (86 yrs old)... his guitar is probably gonna end up being one of the most valuable guitars in the world simply because EVERY time you've ever seen a picture of Willie Nelson at any point in his career or heard a recording of his**, it's been that one guitar and none others. Nobody else has done that. Eric Clapton had his black Fender Stratocaster "Blackie", and she's been retired for a long time. Billy Gibbons had his 1959 Les Paul "Pearly", and he never takes her out anymore.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/trigger

**= From 1969 on. He actually started in the mid-50's, writing hits for Nashville legends like Faron Young and Patsy Cline, but he didn't purchase Trigger until 1969-ish.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline |iR|Focalor

• OFFO
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #126 on: December 12, 2019, 05:09:18 AM »
Digitech must be trying to clear out all their DOD pedals. They have some incredible prices on their old compact reissues. Most of them are 60% to 70% off.

https://www.digitech.com/dod/

This bundle in particular caught my eye. The Phasor 201 and Envelope Filter 440 bundle for 80 bucks.

https://www.digitech.com/bundles/funky-filters-bundle-201-440.html

A few months ago I was considering cashing in some of my Guitar Center e-gift card codes I get for doing online surveys on a used one of those Phasor 201's they had listed about 59 bucks. At 80 for the bundle, that works out to 40 bucks per pedal, even better than the used price... and it's BRAND NEW. Probably gonna be ordering myself this one. The rest are just overdrive and distortion pedals, which I really don't need anymore since I bought a good amp with drive that sounds better than any pedal can.

Also had an opportunity to try out a Friedman Dirty Shirley head this past weekend. They sound pretty good, the EQ is very shapable and responsive. I compare it to my Orange Rockerverb mkIII, which kinda doesn't have the most shapable EQ to it. My Orange head lacks the ability to really boost the highs to ear piercing levels with the EQ, whereas on the Friedman Dirty Shirley with the help of the "presence" knob in addition to the standard low/mid/high 3-band EQ, you can totally screech it up with the highs. Friedman's website says it's based on a modified Marshall JTM45, which is immediately what I thought when I played it, that it sounded like one of the Marshall Plexi's AC/DC would've used, only boosted with some extra drive. It's got two 5881's in the power stage, which is kinda nice. It's got that nice mid-range bark like a Marshall with EL34's, but not as soft and fluffy as EL34's sound. Wasn't really familiar with the 5881 sound and feel before, but I'd put right in the center between EL34's and 6L6's. It's the best of both worlds. Honestly, at this point, if someone told me I could retube my Orange head with 5881's, I might try it.

It's a one channel amp though. (For a "gigging" amp, I DEMAND 2 footswitchable channels) No onboard reverb. Does have an effects loop though. Only 40 watts. And it sells for about 2800 I think. Meh, I still think my Orange head is the much better deal.

Also bought an EHX Tone Corset compressor weekend before last. I was originally planning on getting a MXR Super Comp, but this thing was the same price and was actually IN STOCK (unlike the MXR). I wanted get that super-tight Nashville chicken-pickin' kinda sound on my Stratocaster, and it sounded good in the store. But on my amp, all it did was boost the notorious background hum (see earlier posts about my amp right after I bought it), which is NOT what I want any of my fucking pedals to do. So I'm probably gonna be  taking it back and forgetting all about ever owning a compressor pedal. ::)

• Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

El Box de Shoutamente

Last 10 Shouts:

quadz

December 09, 2019, 07:34:52 PM
THIS SUNDAY!

Event details...

-Unh0ly-

December 07, 2019, 09:12:33 PM
disregard that last post this is the FINAL  version of texture pak finally complete all textures ..
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nkt7csDLxHRxtf0xyA0hxzmOtbOeE5_Z

-Unh0ly-

December 03, 2019, 09:19:59 PM
NEW ! texture pak  V 2.0 get it at http://unh0ly.wordpress.com

Some screen shots on website.

quadz

November 29, 2019, 11:00:53 AM
Some snazzy updates to the ray-traced version of Q2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnYtathGvdw

Prophet

November 28, 2019, 10:10:38 AM
Did the server just crash? Dont see the address pulling up all of a sudden after I got a phonejack

|iR|Focalor

November 27, 2019, 11:55:59 PM

Admin

November 26, 2019, 07:22:56 PM
Hm. And the network had seemed so well-behaved of late.

|iR|Focalor

November 26, 2019, 12:23:48 PM
Servers went haywire again. Was in the middle of a game on vanilla when the graph started showing green sawtooth stuff. My address book is only showing IRTDM1, IRTDM2 and FOX. No DM, no Vanilla, no Railz.

quadz

November 24, 2019, 10:14:15 PM

quadz

November 22, 2019, 07:38:43 PM
FYI - massive data breach

https://www.dataviper.io/blog/2019/pdl-data-exposure-billion-people/

"1.2 billion unique people, and 650 million unique email addresses"

Show 50 latest
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2019, 03:14:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length