Author Topic: What mouse are you using?  (Read 9953 times)

Offline itsjoya

• View Profile
  • Rated:
Re: What mouse are you using?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 11:56:26 PM »
Logitech G502 proteus spectrum optical gaming mouse

I have been using it for about a couple of months now. So far so good.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Well-Reasoned Argument and/or Conclusion
    Demonstrates Exceptional Knowlege of the Game
    Appears Not to Comprehend Game Fundamentals
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Whoosh! You done missed the joke thar Cletus!
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Preposterously Irrational Arguments
    Blindingly Obvious Logical Fallacies
    Absurd Misconstrual of Scientific Principles or Evidence
    Amazing Conspiracy Theory Bro
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 08:07:56 PM »
Side topic moved here: Re: What binds are you spamming?

• Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline Punk_FAS

• Carpal Tunnel Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 09:37:49 PM »
I was using the Logitech G303 until it started having an issue where it would double-click constantly (when simply trying to single left-click). I contacted Logitech (it was still under warranty) and they sent me out a new G403. I've been using that for a few weeks I suppose. I'm not sure what DPI setting I have it on. I use sensitivity of 4 in game. I'm pretty sure it's running at 1000Hz via the USB port. Not sure what other info there is to share. Oh, I use this massive Corsair mouse mat/pad. Not sure of the model number, but it's the one that's about 3 feet wide, which also holds your keyboard. I like it a lot.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline M0us3

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 05:47:54 AM »
Logitech tends go with the cheapest option available when it comes to the pots, and mechanical switches they use in their products. These have raw untreated copper contacts that corrode overtime when exposed to oxygen not to mention all the other pubes, sweat, and cheeto crumbs introduced during your intense fragging(fapping) sessions. Kind of a bummer as they have great design, and use solid optical sensors otherwise.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline |iR|Focalor

• Irrepressibly Profuse Member
  • Help Destroy America: VOTE DEMOCRAT
    • View Profile
    • Focalor's Horrible Website: We Rape You Til The Room Stinks
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 02:08:41 PM »
I disagree. They ALL make them equally shitty. I've got a Razor Deathadder that I was stupid enough to pay about 90 bucks for. However... since all these companies have discontinued their cheaper corded laser mouses and rebranded them as "gaming mice", they can now charge you 100 bucks and up for a couple of additional buttons and fancier colors on a mouse that used to cost less than 25 bucks back in 2007. I was stupid enough to pay 90-something dollars for a Razor Deathadder probably 3 or 4 years ago, but it's not like there were any other options. I had to pay that if I wanted a laser (not optical or anything else) mouse with a fucking cord on it.

And for all of Razer's talk about using quality components... it's mostly bullshit. Their clicker modules are very accurate, but they don't last as long as they should for that price. Mine's not that old, and I've already experienced the "phantom double click" problem Punk described. I took the mouse apart and cleaned the copper contacts with q-tips and an aerosol can of fast-dry electrical contact cleaner, and it HAS stopped double clicking and phantom clicking, however the button pressure/tension/whatever is nothing like it used to be. The feel is not what it used to be. Sometimes when I hit the middle wheel to crouch, I end up pressing mouse1 and firing too... which sucks if you're holding a rocket launcher at the time.

But I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend another 100 bucks on an overpriced overrated mouse while there's ANY LIFE AT ALL left in this mouse.

PS. if you have a Razer Deathadder, I would NOT recommend taking it apart to manually clean the clicker modules. It was VERY DIFFICULT. There's tiny parts which require a steady hand and some fine point tweezers to put them back in properly. Attempting to take the clicker modules apart could result in permanent damage to the small components. Try to google a step by step method before attempting.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline M0us3

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 04:42:24 PM »
I wasn't done ranting, but my flight started boarding.. Now I'm back!  :rocketright:

What a better mouse WILL do is have a higher polling rate and improved fine accuracy when compared to a cheaper shittier mouse with worse specs.

USB has 100x the bandwidth needed to handle mousing duties. The difference between and good mouse and a shitty one is the on-board processor. Optical mice are essentially cameras that take and compare pictures to interpret motion. Older examples didn't have the ability to process this on-board the mouse itself and this duty was shared with your PC. This is where polling rates came into play, now that it's all done on chip at the mouse polling rates are largely irrelevant. Any good HID chip will be polling over USB as fast as possible (1000hz for 1ms response time in most cases)

I'm partial to mouses with invisible lasers rather than those optical or infrared ones. They emit a light, and if you use the mouse without a mousepad on a naked laminated desk surface, it can cause the optical sensor to feedback and freak out randomly.

Had that happen to me more times than I care to remember way back when I used an optical mouse. At this point, I've been scrubbing a mouse over this desktop so long, most the glossy lamination is gone and there's actually a portion where the particle board fibers are exposed. :D This desk looks like a total piece of junked shit after 10 years of heavy use.

Lasers are less prone be disturbed by anomalies like reflections compared to traditional optical sensors this is why they tend to work better on shiny surfaces. Most have moved on to infrared sensors these days anyway, this is why you're not seeing that light under your mouse anymore. A good infrared sensor will track on anything short of an electropolished surface. ( <10μm variance)

Thanks to advances in manufacturing technologies imaging sensors have gotten cheaper, and algorithms have gotten better, therefore you can spec a superior sensor capable of capturing higher resolution, and have a faster processor handling things. When you see XXX "gaming mouse" they always advertise DPI ratings first. This being better is a bit of a false statement alone. No-one uses 15-gazallion DPI setting, as the mouse would be interpreting tracking at such a great distance per movement it would be unusable. This get's scaled up or down at some point with different DPI settings. But in general mice true high dpi ratings have superior processors, and error correction algorithms which are less prone to spazzing out during fast flick movements like railing, or other movements such as lifts. I just wish they would give relevant details like sensor megapixel values, or processing speeds, etc

I disagree. They ALL make them equally shitty. I've got a Razor Deathadder that I was stupid enough to pay about 90 bucks for.

We're not disagreeing.  :humm: Razor makes a shit product along with many others. What you end up paying for is largely marketing, and in their case software development. Their mice mechanically are the same as your $20 logitech. They do tend to use better off the shelf hardware for things like cables, and switches however but their mechanical design is largely fluffy garbage. The quality switches I mentioned have zinc plated contact surfaces which aren't susceptible to corrosion. These and will outlast the the rest of the mouse plus another 20 years in the ocean.

I guess my whole point is that we were developing optical sensors that will track faster, and more accurately on any surface than any of us fragerts can move our fappin appendages and this was >10 years ago. Pick the mouse that fits your meat mitten the best and play more. I recommend Corsair, Steel Series, and yes some Razors if you want the best sensors. (pixelart, keyance)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:57:54 AM by M0us3 »
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline bvughtoonice

• Swanky Member
  • Join Quake Legacy Mod Revival Discord!
    • View Profile
    • Mod Revival made easy on discord chat!
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2018, 10:20:14 AM »
i got a Roccat Kone Pure that can do some damage
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
Bring more Life back to your favorite mod! on discord chat!#gloom #vortex #qpong #kots #giex #q2jump #ra2 #wod #wodx #railwarz #LMCTF #LFireCTF #expertctf https://quakelegacy.com/

Offline |iR|Focalor

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2020, 06:00:37 PM »
My old 100 dollar DeathAdder 2013 wasn't completely dead yet, but I replaced it anyway. Walmart had this Razer DeathAdder Essential mouse which I took it to be an exact copy of my old DeathAdder 2013... no, it's not. It's not laser, it's optical.

And they've updated this god damn Razer Synapse software bullshit that you gotta use along with it to adjust the speed and lighting and shit. The latest version was damn near 400 mb, quite OBESE for some shit that really shouldn't be anywhere near that size. As soon as it installed, I had 5 or 6 different new things showing up in my task manager processes, and just now noticed 2 MORE things, some shit that has to do with my internet browser. So apparently what this Razer Synapse software amounts to is fucking SPYWARE.

DO NOT BUY RAZER PRODUCTS EVER AGAIN.

I can't even get the Razer Synapse bullshit to login using my old email because I forgot my password. I set it once and never touched it again, so why would I need to remember the password? Well, seems like it should be an easy thing to reset right? Just request a password reset link to my email, and bada-bing, it should be done, right? OH HELL NO! See, they're a company that makes the latest innovations in computer gaming peripherals, but apparently they can't send a fucking email out within a reasonable amount of time in order to reset your password. I sat here for 30 minutes chatting with some dot-head motherfucker badly translating shit to english trying to get him to manually send me an email link that I could reset my password with. Nah, that's above his security level apparently. So I say fuck it. I look today, and it sent about 12 fucking emails to me only 2 to 10 hours AFTER I requested them to. No shit, the emails came in a period of 2 to 10 fucking hours after the 15 minute period where I kept requesting a password reset. What the fuck is wrong with these fucking people?

I say again...

DO NOT BUY RAZER PRODUCTS EVER AGAIN. I'm gonna look for my fucking receipt. If I find it, this shit is going back to the store and I'm buying whatever DOESN'T say fucking Razer on it.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline 0rbisson

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2020, 10:18:07 PM »
Yes i discovered this as well. the razor synapse has been updated since the release of the 2013 deathadder. It doesn't even recognize the deathadder 2013 in some cases. You can still download the original synapse, you can also clean the deathadder but it is a bitch to get the screw out from the bottom. Buy some of those glasses cleaning alcohol wipes, grab a pin and feed it into the hole to give it a clean, see if that helps. I will not be buying the new deathadder even though I do like how you can set the dpi etc. Microsoft has an ergonomically shaped mouse almost identical to the deathadder, i was thinking of getting one to replace my shitty logitech basic. it's called microsoft pro intellimouse. Looking at this review it seems pretty decent and you can still set the dpi to your liking. $60. Take the other razor back and refund

https://youtu.be/QxJKcTw4O0g
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline Fractal

• You mad?
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2020, 03:41:07 PM »
Do not need a fancy mouse to aim well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-wired-optical-mouse-Model-DOK-M689U-/233103914833

I don't even remember where I got this mouse but its a Lenovo DOK-M689U.. probably came from a lenovo computer bought in store.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
This was my grandfathers Q2 name, I play under it now in his memory.

Offline Punk_FAS

• Carpal Tunnel Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2020, 04:42:29 PM »
I've been using the Logitech G403 for a while now: https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/products/gaming-mice/g403-prodigy-wired-gaming-mouse.html#910-004796

It was actually a free replacement from Logitech from when I had issues with my previous G303. I'm quite happy with the G403.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline |iR|Focalor

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2020, 04:54:55 PM »
Quote from: Fractal&#123;KEA} on March 12, 2020, 03:41:07 PM
Quote from: Fractal{KEA} on March 12, 2020, 03:41:07 PM
Do not need a fancy mouse to aim well.

I didn't buy a Razer Deathadder to have some kind of super advantage over anyone. The point was to buy a "laser" mouse, because I play on a laminated desktop with no mousepad (although after 10+ years of scrubbing a mouse around, it's wearing the gloss laminate off the desktop and showing grain of the MDF/particle board underneath :D).

I used to use a dirt cheap Logitech LS-1 corded laser mouse that I bought at a walmart for about 16 bucks. But they don't make them anymore. And when I tried to find something similar, I discovered that everyone had jacked the prices of mouses using lasers WAY up to $100 and beyond. And the point was never about having the best possible gaming mouse, it was about having a mouse that wasn't optical and wouldn't do that "feedback" thing where it makes you look straight up and start spinning around.

• Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline Config.sys

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2020, 11:07:28 PM »

dunno why, but i always preferred the logitech corded m110 ...it works for me! :) used to be able to find them "anywhere" for like 13 bucks. i still use these!
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
smash the control images.. smash the control machine!

Offline VaeVictis

• i was -1 because you fucking suck
  • Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2020, 03:04:57 AM »
Feel required to respond because there is a lot I can comment on. Odd thread to necro though.

Higher dpi is not helpful. Like haunted mentioned, lower DPI tends to be better. Exactly what DPI is a point of argument, but any mouse on the market today will have too high of DPI out of the box.

Accel is not bad. Yes you can get more consistency with flicks WITHOUT accel, however mouse nerds like Kovaak are pretty good at explaining why accel is fine to strike a better balance between high and low accel and why the aiming requirement in quake games is not so strict to require the consistency of no accel. Plus a majority of the top quake players in the world are using accel at this point so take that for what it is worth. Has to be implemented properly though, which it is not in quake2 so use the special driver that does it right if you want it in q2.

The answer to the razer synapse bullshit is easy: tournament drivers. Not sure if this feature is still around, but it just exports shit out to just a driver minus application. I switched to logitech a few years ago though so I don't know if this feature is still around.

The answer to the optical vs laser sensor problem is just buy a fuckin 10-20$ flat cloth mousepad. They are well worth it. If you get a good mouse, and you don't get a good mousepad, all you are doing is ruining the mouse feet and making things hard on yourself.

I second Punk's promotion of the g403. Cheap, durable, comfortable, has features I need, and just a really solid mouse. Was suggested this by one of those aim heavy CS guys and figured I'd give it a shot due to price and I love it. Ran a deathadder for years though and they are great mice.

Also be aware of who you take advice from if referencing any of this thread before a mouse purchase. Quake2 has a lot of vocal FFA players who aren't really any good at the game and share poor information. Punk probably has the best aim out of anyone who has commented in this thread IMO.

There are so many good mice out now that the options are a little ridiculous. Back 10 years ago you basically had a deathadder, an mx518, or a wmo. Anything else would lose tracking if you threw your arm too hard. Now you'd be hard pressed to find a mouse from a reputable company that doesn't have a good sensor and it comes down more to the ergonomics.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline |iR|Focalor

• View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2020, 03:49:59 AM »
Yep. Still a douchebag fucking tryhard after all these years. ::)

I never asked a fucking question about Razer. I made a public complaint. You are an authority on nothing except your own fictionalized self-deluded fantasy version of yourself.

No one asked about higher dpi. We can figure that shit out for ourselves, your highness.

No one asked about mouse acceleration. We can figure that shit out for ourselves, your highness.

No one asked about mouse pads. We're fucking adults with our own money, not allowances from mommy and daddy, and we can afford to break our own shit and buy another one just because we're bored if we want to.

Everyone else, be aware of who you take advice from in this thread. VaeVictis has one of those personality defects where he has to overcompensate for his lack of self esteem by cranking up his online alpha male schtick to 11, which just makes normal people laugh at him for the obliviously inaccurate way that he attempts to portray a true alpha male.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

El Box de Shoutamente

Last 10 Shouts:

-Unh0ly-

March 18, 2024, 03:51:45 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjGjxwHT6ok

played guitar drums bass and sang cuz everyone too lame to start a band with me

0rbisson

March 14, 2024, 04:29:08 AM
HT1 or whatever the stupid map name is instant server killer. the map is trash, Everyone leaves

Costigan_Q2

March 10, 2024, 04:00:02 PM
This is my fave TS post.

And quadz posted it - some ppl must haaate that. :)

-Unh0ly-

February 29, 2024, 08:35:47 AM
MONDAY NIGHT RAILWARZ GAMES   74.91.120.171:27910 -- BIG FUCKIN GAMES.... LETS GO!!!!!!!

|iR|Focalor

February 29, 2024, 01:19:58 AM

|iR|Focalor

February 27, 2024, 12:23:01 AM

0rbisson

February 26, 2024, 11:38:19 AM
player "shogun" known hacker back on ts servers. http://forum.tastyspleen.net/quake/index.php?topic=21160.msg201752#msg201752

|iR|Focalor

February 17, 2024, 10:11:59 PM

Costigan_Q2

February 16, 2024, 07:45:01 AM
Almost 4 months ey? that's a new record.

Last accepted: profile;u=7126
Date Registered:17-10-2023
WaKy-FeLa

Last registered: profile;u=7150
Date Registered:09-02-2024
damsonpharmacy

0rbisson

February 14, 2024, 10:51:18 PM
pings back up to 400+ on dm

Show 50 latest
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:55:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length