Author Topic: Current Politics & History Only Thread  (Read 217974 times)

Offline QwazyWabbit

• Carpal Tunnel Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
Re: Current Politics & History Only Thread
« Reply #780 on: December 20, 2019, 08:03:19 AM »
The Ukraine knew there was a hold prior to the time of July 25 call. They knew exactly what Trump was asking for and they avoided it very scrupulously. They knew it was a shakedown and they knew if they followed through it would entangle them in partisan politics. They wanted the WH meeting in order to get closer to their ally, America, but they weren’t willing to lose bipartisan support for it.

I don’t theorize about what-if Hillary questions. There’s no point.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Well-Reasoned Argument and/or Conclusion
    Demonstrates Exceptional Knowlege of the Game
    Appears Not to Comprehend Game Fundamentals
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Whoosh! You done missed the joke thar Cletus!
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Preposterously Irrational Arguments
    Blindingly Obvious Logical Fallacies
    Absurd Misconstrual of Scientific Principles or Evidence
    Amazing Conspiracy Theory Bro
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline quadz

• Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #781 on: December 20, 2019, 12:04:02 PM »
The Ukraine knew there was a hold prior to the time of July 25 call. They knew exactly what Trump was asking for and they avoided it very scrupulously. They knew it was a shakedown and they knew if they followed through it would entangle them in partisan politics. They wanted the WH meeting in order to get closer to their ally, America, but they weren’t willing to lose bipartisan support for it.

OK, thanks. Had to catch up a bit.

Sounds like the hold didn’t translate to much of a delay in actual practicality, if I'm reading this right. But it also sounds like law requires the executive to notify Congress when such a hold is placed.

All else aside, I'd have to say in the abstract, it sounds like a smart play. How many Americans would object to any of our presidents using leverage to persuade a foreign government to investigate corruption? (Provided it was an investigation people agreed was well-motivated, of course.)

I don’t theorize about what-if Hillary questions. There’s no point.

I think there's a point, but it's not about Hillary.

Rather, it's noticing how disconnected the partisan spin is from whatever kernel of substance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1ab6uxg908

^ Recall how similar levels of hysteria were maintained during most of the Obama administration? (By the "other side" of course.)

Only then it was: Birth Certificate; Solyndra; Fast and Furious; PizzaGate; Benghazi; …

In terms of actual substance, where might "RussiaGate 2: Ukrainian Boogaloo" rank against the above? Maybe somewhere between Solyndra and Fast and Furious? (Nobody died, so that's a plus.)

• Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
"He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious."

Offline haunted

• Inexorably Palaverous Member
  • I am hollywood.
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #782 on: December 20, 2019, 01:53:56 PM »
Theorize over what-if's?? :lolsign:

• Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline 2d

• Carpal Tunnel Member
  • Bow Down to the King
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #783 on: December 20, 2019, 11:03:11 PM »

^ Recall how similar levels of hysteria were maintained during most of the Obama administration? (By the "other side" of course.)

Only then it was: Birth Certificate; Solyndra; Fast and Furious; PizzaGate; Benghazi; …

In terms of actual substance, where might "RussiaGate 2: Ukrainian Boogaloo" rank against the above? Maybe somewhere between Solyndra and Fast and Furious? (Nobody died, so that's a plus.)

I am convinced a shadow international oganization, including representatives from the USA, similar to the united nations security council,  are responsible for much of how the world is developing. It exists to prevent complete self annihilation, to promote continued human technological advancement, and most importantly, to provide a check on governments and heads of state, with unlimited funding. These scandals and issues always exist in case someone somewhere needs to be removed. JFK was too messy.  :bigshades: , but saddam hussein and gadaffi were too easy to resist.

I feel the strategy of occupying nations that are religiously radicallized and trying to govern how they live has only resulted in failure, ie afghanistan, iran, etc.  Human beings are stubborn, moreso than a mothar bucking donkey. LOL.

I feel that this organizations strategy has shifted from world wars towards the dissemination of information and allowing regular ordinary people to cure and change themselves. Whether it takes 1 generation to die, or 3, eventually, truth will overcome fanaticism, and people like supreme leader khomeni of iran, kim jong of korea, and communist china will succumb to truth. In 30 years the internet has completely changed human civilization. Within the next 200 years, I can't see how nations like afghanistan or north korea can exist. Knowledge is power, and knowledge is like a virus. Eventually, the globe will be one.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 11:21:06 PM by 2d »
[14:05] <MoIOM|haunted> I challenged 2dum to a .....match.....
[14:06] <MoIOM|haunted> he beat me 4-3, although i blew myself up twice :>
[23:04] <[2d> i can now die in peace ROFL!

Offline quadz

• Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #784 on: December 23, 2019, 08:12:32 PM »
Perhaps interesting perspective from someone outside the U.S. who appears to be in Movie Two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_VWp9sLgQE

(If only there were something like UFC 1.0 for political viewpoints—everyone bring their theories; let's see who taps)  :dohdohdoh:

• Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
"He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious."

Offline haunted

• I am hollywood.
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #785 on: December 24, 2019, 06:37:53 AM »
Check out the comment by Alan Funt on that video. If/when justice Ginsburg resigns or passes trump is not able to appoint anyone to the court while under the impeachment process, although not impeached yet. Also, he suggests that it's essential that they have Biden as the frontrunner for the time being to make the accusation more valid.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline quadz

• Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #786 on: December 24, 2019, 02:01:32 PM »
Check out the comment by Alan Funt on that video. If/when justice Ginsburg resigns or passes trump is not able to appoint anyone to the court while under the impeachment process, although not impeached yet.

Interesting.

A related analysis by Alan Dershowitz ("Professor at Harvard Law School for 50 years, now emeritus. Active in litigation, writing, and defense of civil liberties and human rights.")

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/15331/democrats-impeachment-question

Quote from: Alan M. Dershowitz
Speaker Pelosi's unconstitutional decision to delay transmission of the articles of impeachment to the Senate in order to gain partisan advantage raises the following question: has President Trump been impeached, or did the House vote merely represent an authorization or intention to impeach — which becomes an actual impeachment only when the articles are transmitted?

This highly technical constitutional issue is being debated by two of my former Harvard Law School colleagues — Professors Laurence Tribe and Noah Feldman — both liberal Democrats who support President Trump's impeachment.

Tribe believes that Trump has been impeached and that it would be perfectly proper to leave it at that: by declining to transmit the articles of impeachment, the Democrats get a win-win. President Trump remains impeached but he gets no opportunity to be tried and acquitted by the Senate. This cynical, partisan ploy is acceptable to Tribe because it brings about the partisan result he prefers: Trump bears forever the stigma of impeachment without having the opportunity to challenge that stigma by a Senate acquittal. Under the Tribe scenario, the House Democrats get to "obstruct" the Senate and "abuse" their power (to borrow terms from the articles of impeachment).

Feldman disagrees with Tribe, arguing — quite correctly — that impeachment and a removal trial go together. If a president is impeached, he must be tried. Impeachment, in his view, is not merely a vote; it is the first step in a constitutionally mandated two-step process. He goes so far as to say that if the articles of impeachment are not forwarded to the Senate for trial, there has been no valid impeachment.

In my opinion, both of my colleagues are wrong, though Feldman's approach is more consistent with the structure of the Constitution and the intent of its Framers. I believe that the Senate need not wait for articles of impeachment to be transmitted. Senators are empowered by the constitution to begin a trial now — with or without further action by the House.

Just as the House has the "sole power of impeachment," so too the Senate has the "sole power to try all impeachments." The Senate can make its own rules (as long as they are consistent with the constitution) and establish its own timetables.

The only possible rejoinder to this constitutional verity is the argument put forward by Feldman that the House has not yet concluded the process of impeachment, and so the Senate has no jurisdiction to proceed to trial. What follows from that argument is the conclusion — utterly unacceptable to Tribe — that President Trump has not been impeached and if the articles are never transmitted he will not go down in history as the third president to be impeached, because the House never completed the necessary process by sending the articles to the senate.

Tribe and the Democratic House majority, led by Speaker Pelosi, want to have their constitutional cake and eat it too: they want Trump impeached but not acquitted. Sorry, but the Constitution does not permit that partisan, result-oriented ploy. Either Trump has been impeached and is entitled to a Senate trial; or he has not been impeached and is entitled to a clean slate.

My own view is that in the public eye, President Trump has been impeached by a partisan vote and he is now entitled to be acquitted, even if the Senate vote is as partisan as the House vote. The partisans who voted his impeachment along party lines in the House, have no principled argument against a party-line acquittal. The Democrats devised the partisan rules of engagement in the House. They can't suddenly demand a change in those rules because they are a minority in the Senate.

So there are only two constitutionally viable alternatives: either Pelosi must announce that Trump has not been impeached; or the Senate must initiate a trial. Preserving the status quo indefinitely — Trump remaining impeached without having a trial — is unconstitutional and should not be tolerated by the American people.

• Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline haunted

• I am hollywood.
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #787 on: December 24, 2019, 06:29:17 PM »
Ah fuck. I did it again. The game started at 8pm didn't it? I know this won't count, but I would've went Hawaii halfway to have something different than you. Lol. Im sure byu is dominating anyway.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline quadz

• Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #788 on: December 27, 2019, 06:53:50 PM »
Quote from: Alan M. Dershowitz
Tribe and the Democratic House majority, led by Speaker Pelosi, want to have their constitutional cake and eat it too: they want Trump impeached but not acquitted. Sorry, but the Constitution does not permit that partisan, result-oriented ploy. Either Trump has been impeached and is entitled to a Senate trial; or he has not been impeached and is entitled to a clean slate.

[relevant meme seems relevant]

• Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline quadz

• Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:

Offline quadz

• Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #790 on: December 30, 2019, 02:30:48 PM »
Supposedly this instance of "extreme woke fascism" is sincere rather than satire, but it's hard to tell.

(The owner did private their account once this blew up, which is not typical for satirists. On the other hand, the bits about adoring Brutalist architecture, revering Mao-as-role-model, and proposing "Newspeak but unironically" seem like maybe too many gold nuggets to encounter in a single thread, even for the wokest-of-woke. The amazing part is that it's hard to tell?)

:ugly_08:

• Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Online |iR|Focalor

• Irrepressibly Profuse Member
  • OFFO
    • View Profile
    • Focalor's Lair @ Tastyspleen.net
  • Rated:
« Reply #791 on: December 30, 2019, 05:35:19 PM »
Is it just me, or does shit like this really do more to promote white supremacist and alt-right narratives (and thus their membership numbers) than to turn things the other way? Are these people too fucking dense to see that for themselves? I think it's more likely that they just don't care, and are more interested in broadcasting their own angry narratives and getting some revenge on whitey.

Yeah, for a long time "white" took a shit on everyone else. I didn't personally. Personally, I've been shit on by plenty of others for plenty of different reasons my whole life. Maybe you have too. But because of the way shit USED to be, and ISN'T currently, the solution to someone elses complaint should be to FORCE ME to do something whether I want to or not, just because I check the box that says "white" under the "race" question on some form. That's called fucking racism. What point does it have to get to before it'll be socially acceptable to once again consider "white" a valid race among the races, which can ALL experience discrimination?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 05:54:27 PM by |iR|Focalor »
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline quadz

• Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #792 on: January 03, 2020, 01:01:52 PM »
https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Releases/Release/Article/2049534/statement-by-the-department-of-defense/

Statement by the Department of Defense
JAN. 2, 2020

At the direction of the President, the U.S. military has taken decisive defensive action to protect U.S. personnel abroad by killing Qasem Soleimani, the head of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps-Quds Force, a U.S.-designated Foreign Terrorist Organization.

General Soleimani was actively developing plans to attack American diplomats and service members in Iraq and throughout the region. General Soleimani and his Quds Force were responsible for the deaths of hundreds of American and coalition service members and the wounding of thousands more. He had orchestrated attacks on coalition bases in Iraq over the last several months – including the attack on December 27th – culminating in the death and wounding of additional American and Iraqi personnel. General Soleimani also approved the attacks on the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad that took place this week. 

This strike was aimed at deterring future Iranian attack plans. The United States will continue to take all necessary action to protect our people and our interests wherever they are around the world.

Interesting analysis:

https://twitter.com/RymMomtaz/status/1213045597223165952  (Thread)

Various perspectives:

https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/1213168223127949313

https://twitter.com/RealSarahIdan/status/1212920573992398848

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1213134539163353089

https://twitter.com/mrglenn/status/1212926095928020993

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1213107445842825216

https://twitter.com/EricRWeinstein/status/1213147406922964992  (Thread)

And then there's:

https://twitter.com/rosemcgowan/status/1212976832544460801

• Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline quadz

• Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #793 on: January 03, 2020, 01:33:26 PM »
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Online |iR|Focalor

• Irrepressibly Profuse Member
  • OFFO
    • View Profile
    • Focalor's Lair @ Tastyspleen.net
  • Rated:
« Reply #794 on: January 03, 2020, 05:26:27 PM »
Fuck Rose McGowan so much. Why do people who pretend to be someone in front of a camera think that qualifies them to have an intelligent opinion about jack shit? She grew up in a fucking cult with idiot parents. She has no college education, barely has a high school education. According to Wikipedia, she lives in fucking Mayfair London where rich pricks who are completely out of touch with reality who are even richer than the rich pricks in Beverly Hills who are completely out of touch with reality live. Another interesting wiki fact: In January 2019, McGowan pleaded no contest to a misdemeanour drug charge in Virginia concerning cocaine that was found in a wallet she left behind at Dulles International Airport in 2017. She received a $2,500 fine and a suspended jail sentence.

If Rose McGowan can compare the Trump presidency to being held hostage by a terrorist regime, then I can compare watching Rose McGowan's acting to watching a little girl being raped by Hitler and a vicious pack of rabies infected chimpanzees on ecstacy.

What a dumb coke whore.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 05:43:51 PM by |iR|Focalor »
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

El Box de Shoutamente

Last 10 Shouts:

-Unh0ly-

September 18, 2020, 12:47:34 AM

https://youtu.be/keF839vDH0A

joe rogan is  a quaker !!!!

|iR|Focalor

September 11, 2020, 12:54:20 AM

|iR|Focalor

September 02, 2020, 10:28:47 AM
Mensa called. They said oops wrong number.

RyU

September 02, 2020, 02:37:02 AM
like a light

ayyyyy

RyU

September 02, 2020, 02:36:32 AM
I just did half a zann 13 hours till i lan

i out like a light
ayyyyy

Waffle Whiffer

August 17, 2020, 07:20:21 AM
Moooooo?

|iR|Focalor

August 16, 2020, 08:12:55 PM
Huevos con chorizo? ¡No quiero diarrea!

quadz

August 16, 2020, 04:38:31 PM
VAYA CON HUEVOS

Yotematoi

August 16, 2020, 03:19:13 PM
  Viajeros del Tiempo NO VENGAN AL AÑO 2020

Admin

August 09, 2020, 12:01:58 PM
Jehar's ts500 tastycast stream:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/705147053?t=0h36m0s

Starts 36 minutes in.

Show 50 latest
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2020, 12:46:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length