Author Topic: Current Politics & History Only Thread  (Read 159458 times)

Offline |iR|Focalor

• Irrepressibly Profuse Member
  • OFFO
    • View Profile
    • Focalor's Lair @ Tastyspleen.net
  • Rated:
Re: Current Politics & History Only Thread
« Reply #330 on: January 27, 2017, 09:03:54 PM »
Our people in general care more about low price and being cheap than they do about durability or quality of construction,

I don't agree. Thing is... many of the cheaper lower quality import products have price tags on them with ludicrous markups simply because retailers have apparently conspired to set such unreasonable prices. Go to any anchor store (Penney's, Nordstrom, Macy's etc)mall across the country and tell me the clothing they sell is REALLY worth that price on the tag. Because in 6 months they turn it over to one of the sister discount stores like Marshalls and sell it for less than half... and STILL make money. Yeah, Americans DO need to change. Not just consumers, but manufacturers and retailers too. There's unreasonable costs that can be controlled. Execs at the top of companies make too much, retailers spend too much leasing newer outlets decked out in ridiculous decor, etc etc, so many things that foreign competition doesn't do. A fucking baggie of rubber worm fish lures costs less at Kmart than at Bass Pro Shops for a reason. So much of what makes up the culture of modern American retail is just hedonistic excess and waste sometimes. You dont need a 90,000 gallon freshwater aquarium display filled with 40 pound mutant freak largemouth bass to sell me some rubber fuckin' worms, it's just stupid.

As for quality... take electric guitars for example. American made Gibson guitars cost more because they are higher quality. The labor cost of the skilled American handmade craftsmanship, unlike what many guitar geeks might tell you, really isn't as big of a factor like some people think. It's simply made better with better parts and all of it equates to a product with more value. And they are highly sought after products that get exported all over the world. You can't make them exactly the same in China... specifically because EPA standards prohibit the use of the lacquers they use to finish. Dunno about anyone else, but it makes me wonder if the whole "looser EPA regs" thing is really as much of an issue in cost as an overpaid company suit might want everyone to believe so he can keep kicking up larger pieces of the pie to Sam Waltons shitty greedy spoiled kids who are terrible fucking human beings.

Anyway, just my thoughts on it. Doable. Totally doable... as long as the jackasses at the top of the pile are responsible enough to be decent and reasonable. They make 3 million a year though, and they'll have to take a pay cut to make the income go farther... but you try taking a million dollars away from someone without them going postal. Hard for that reason, but technically doable.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Well-Reasoned Argument and/or Conclusion
    Demonstrates Exceptional Knowlege of the Game
    Appears Not to Comprehend Game Fundamentals
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Whoosh! You done missed the joke thar Cletus!
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Preposterously Irrational Arguments
    Blindingly Obvious Logical Fallacies
    Absurd Misconstrual of Scientific Principles or Evidence
    Amazing Conspiracy Theory Bro
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline haunted

• Inexorably Palaverous Member
  • I am hollywood.
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #331 on: January 28, 2017, 06:30:03 AM »
I remember something about Stradivarius violins.

"Global Warming" is my least favorite topic to discuss. So I won't, but it's related.

The medieval warming period was followed by the little ice age. The farthest cooling dip or minimum was in 1645, and wood acquired from the trees that endured this crazy cold weather made the highest quality Stradivarius violins. Apparently the tone was unparalleled from these and are priceless today. It made me think about it when focalor discussed American vs foreign guitars being that the climate where the wood/trees were grown even matters.

Also those largemouth's in the tank are cool. I feel bad for the stripers, spotted gar, and tarpon they throw in that prefer a little more salinity. Their colors change big time and they get growths on them and shit. The red drum(channel bass/red fish) are always the healthiest looking fish at a bass pro shops funny enough.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline |iR|Focalor

• OFFO
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #332 on: January 28, 2017, 07:30:40 PM »
US electric guitars vs Japan/China/Indonesia/etc electric guitars as far as the wood goes, they probably all use certain woods grown from the same place, especially for fingerboards. Some of the traditional and most popular woods are becoming "endangered", and they're starting to put restrictions on their usage. Dark ebony, which is usually a black color and was typically found on things like the various Gibson ES semi-hollowbody and Les Paul Custom guitars, is basically illegal to use now. Gibson now uses some kind of synthetic plank on those now, including the $7000 BB King models, which is kinda retarded. Its cheaper than ebony, yet the guitar has still gone UP in price since they started using it. I think some overseas makers still use ebony, but I dunno what the deal is with importing and customs and why they don't prohibit and confiiscate it. Saw a video with Peter Frampton in it a week or so ago and he mentioned his old Les Paul Custom Black Beauty that he couldn't travel with for fear that customs might take it. And actually traditional rosewood is going to added to the list of endangered woods as well. I think Gibson and Fender are already starting to use another species of non-endangered rosewood (Brazillian rosewood or something I think, I dunno). Its kinda lighter almost orangeish colored compared to regular dark brown rosewood.

Anyway, US makers may use the same wood from the same trees from the same suppliers that Japan does, but US makers only use the higher graded cuts, they use proper wood glue rather than epoxy, and they dont piece together things with scraps to make a 20 piece body blank like the idiots in China might. So theoretically you could make a 2 grand US made Gibson SG and a 300 dollar Chinese Epiphone Les Paul Jr from the same tree, but because of differnt wood grades and costruction, they will sound VASTLY different.

As for Stradivarius violins, its more likely the age and meticulous 100% handmade construction that determines the price. Supposedly as tonewoods dry out more and more over a period of several decades, their clarity and sound improves. I dunno how true that really is. Anybody with an antique stringed wooden instrument is SUPPOSED to keep the thing in a humidor so it won't dry out totally because then the wood will split. I have an old late 1950's Silvertone acoustic guitar that has split all over the place for that very reason.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline 2d

• Carpal Tunnel Member
  • Bow Down to the King
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #333 on: January 28, 2017, 09:32:17 PM »
:lolsign:

<span data-s9e-mediaembed="youtube" style="display:inline-block;width:100%;max-width:640px"><span style="display:block;overflow:hidden;position:relative;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe allowfullscreen="" scrolling="no" style="background:url(https://i.ytimg.com/vi/oS6vCqiXhxQ/hqdefault.jpg) 50% 50% / cover;border:0;height:100%;left:0;position:absolute;width:100%" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oS6vCqiXhxQ"></iframe></span></span><br /><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oS6vCqiXhxQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oS6vCqiXhxQ</a>

:lolsign:
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
[14:05] <MoIOM|haunted> I challenged 2dum to a .....match.....
[14:06] <MoIOM|haunted> he beat me 4-3, although i blew myself up twice :>
[23:04] <[2d> i can now die in peace ROFL!

Offline |iR|Focalor

• OFFO
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #334 on: January 29, 2017, 12:16:23 AM »
She glares at him like that even when he's NOT horndoggin' it. She's a fucking bitch with resting bitch face syndrome.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline haunted

• I am hollywood.
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #335 on: January 29, 2017, 04:06:29 AM »
Trump is more ban happy than I am on the tourney servers.  :oops:
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline quadz

• Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #336 on: January 29, 2017, 09:57:31 AM »
Trump is more ban happy than I am on the tourney servers.  :oops:

Haha!  :dohdohdoh:

• Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
"He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious."

Offline quadz

• Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #337 on: January 29, 2017, 10:04:53 AM »
The rise of the New Bigotry: The modern Left's obsession with identity politics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTHFLqJfdq8
<span data-s9e-mediaembed="youtube" style="display:inline-block;width:100%;max-width:640px"><span style="display:block;overflow:hidden;position:relative;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe allowfullscreen="" scrolling="no" style="background:url(https://i.ytimg.com/vi/QTHFLqJfdq8/hqdefault.jpg) 50% 50% / cover;border:0;height:100%;left:0;position:absolute;width:100%" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QTHFLqJfdq8"></iframe></span></span><br /><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/QTHFLqJfdq8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/QTHFLqJfdq8</a>

So much cringe.

• Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
"He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious."

Offline haunted

• I am hollywood.
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #338 on: January 29, 2017, 02:29:44 PM »
Concerning the 7 countries that were a part of Trump's 120 day immigration ban:

I'll take a devil's advocate stance with this since you have to turn on Fox News to see something positive about it(positive and retarded).

-No, it's not what he proposed during his campaign which essentially targeted muslims although everyone's calling it a Muslim ban.......YET.

- There's no morocco, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait , etc on that list for a reason. Some say trump didn't include the countries he does business with or other corrupt things. I think it's a weird coincidence that those are the non-asshole countries but we'll see. Yes, the Saudis were conveniently left out and are very wealthy and have been linked to funding terrorism. But, when have they NOT caught a break with that?

- I see so many people from the left criticizing what America has done in history, and rightfully so. I agree with it, but they completely turn a blind eye to other parts of history. In 1948 the UN looked through history and decided the Jewish people had a rightful claim to Israel after it was taken from them by the Ottoman Empire. But where were the Jews at before 1948? They were scattered out through the Middle East. Ok, so why aren't there any living there anymore? Because the Jews were SO happy to have a country of their own that they all left their homes and jobs to go there? HELL no. Those Arab countries said 'Well, y'all got your own country now, so get the fuck outta here mother fuckers'. Maybe one of those countries that booted out 3/4 million Jews should take some refugees.

-A lot of countries don't take refugees. Mexico doesn't, and the US did it during the Great Depression.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline Barton

• Carpal Tunnel Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #339 on: January 29, 2017, 03:42:01 PM »
Bloomberg noted that the Muslim country ban only consisted of countries where Trump doesn't have business connections to, which explains why Saudi Arabia and the UAE weren't on the ban list, even though the 9/11 hijackers came from there: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-trump-immigration-ban-conflict-of-interest/

<span data-s9e-mediaembed="youtube" style="display:inline-block;width:100%;max-width:640px"><span style="display:block;overflow:hidden;position:relative;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe allowfullscreen="" scrolling="no" style="background:url(https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ofmgafP9Ht4/hqdefault.jpg) 50% 50% / cover;border:0;height:100%;left:0;position:absolute;width:100%" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ofmgafP9Ht4"></iframe></span></span><br /><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ofmgafP9Ht4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ofmgafP9Ht4</a>

It was hilarious to see this Congressman's opinion of Trump's immigration ban get destroyed by this CNN journalist. He has no valid response.

My take on the ban is that Trump doesn't know wtf he is doing (as usual), and overall neither does his administration. The true mastermind behind the ban probably is Steve Bannon, since not only does he write the executive orders, he's a known white nationalist whose ideals want to see an end to immigration, most definitely of Muslims and Latinos. This immigration ban is suppose to last only 90-120 days, which I am assuming the Trump administration is trying to use in order to buy some time to come up with a more comprehensive plan on immigration policy. Right now, the Trump administration doesn't have anything really besides: "build the wall" and somehow get Mexico to pay for it.

IMO, we have a bunch of headless chickens operating the executive branch. The worst thing about it is that they have a lot of extremist views. Trump says he wants to strength the police and so I don't even want to see what that would entail. I guess he never learned anything about Ferguson. This administration seems to be a combination of ill-informed, ill-experienced, stupid and too willing to push agendas without verifying it with experts. Very dangerous.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline quadz

• Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #340 on: January 29, 2017, 06:15:05 PM »
Bloomberg noted that the Muslim country ban only consisted of countries where Trump doesn't have business connections to

Hm. It's being reported the 7 countries were precisely those already having travel visa restrictions selected by the Obama administration:

https://mic.com/articles/166845/the-list-of-muslim-countries-trump-wants-to-ban-was-compiled-by-the-obama-administration

The countries were chosen during Barack Obama's presidency.

According to the draft copy of Trump's executive order, the countries whose citizens are barred entirely from entering the United States is based on a bill that Obama signed into law in December 2015.

Obama signed the Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act as part of an omnibus spending bill. The legislation restricted access to the Visa Waiver Program, which allows citizens from 38 countries who are visiting the United States for less than 90 days to enter without a visa.
[…]
At the initial signing of the restrictions, foreigners who would normally be deemed eligible for a visa waiver were denied if they had visited Iran, Syria, Sudan or Iraq in the past five years or held dual citizenship from one of those countries.

In February 2016, the Obama administration added Libya, Somali and Yemen to the list of countries one could not have visited — but allowed dual citizens of those countries who had not traveled there access to the Visa Waiver Program. Dual citizens of Syria, Sudan, Iraq and Iran are still ineligible, however.

So, in a nutshell, Obama restricted visa waivers for those seven Muslim-majority countries — Iran, Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Somalia, Libya and Yemen — and now, Trump is looking to bar immigration and visitors from the same list of countries.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline haunted

• I am hollywood.
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #341 on: January 29, 2017, 06:19:52 PM »
Barton: Yes. Valid points but in general I'd be open-minded to the thought that this administration wants foreign leaders to think exactly how you are. I'm not saying it's the case, but it could be a statement by trump to command respect from others because they think he's dangerous. George W had that quality although way different than trump. Times have changed since Teddy Roosevelt's show of force when he sent our brand new all-iron naval ships around to tour the world. There's new ways of doing things. Trump accomplishes this extremely well as long as his strings are being pulled appropriately by smarter people than him.

I'm always posting from my iPhone and it's a tad more difficult to get everything I'd normally say across.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline haunted

• I am hollywood.
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline |iR|Focalor

• OFFO
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #343 on: January 30, 2017, 01:01:50 AM »
The rise of the New Bigotry: The modern Left's obsession with identity politics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTHFLqJfdq8

So much cringe.

The worst part about it is people like her are in a weird kinda way more "racist" than ACTUAL average American racists. Her facepalmingly transparent prime motivation for saying that is to cement the black vote, which basically means she thinks they're stupid enough to be played so easily, which is sort of a racist and predatory mentallity, right?

Thing is, it's not a behavior exclusive to the Democraps. The Republicunts do it too. Righteous outrage about races victimizing each other seems more and more like it's really just a convenient smokescreen used to divert the stupid peoples attention away from the bigger real issue of how badly they're being fucked and victimized by the ruling class.

People shouldn't be smashing windows and burning stores because the Republican guy won and racism sucks. They should be smashing windows and burning stores because it makes no fucking difference if he won or not.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline haunted

• I am hollywood.
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #344 on: January 30, 2017, 08:21:21 AM »
Yup. I know I lean to the right a tad, but it's actions like that and many others that really piss me off about the left. Younger people especially.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBxZGWCdgs

I'm not saying I agree with the angle of this video since they conveniently left out the main argument against it(blacks in rural areas and republicans having a different motive behind the voter ID law) but look at our younger left generation. They don't even know the argument against it, say it's racist, when they themselves are categorizing from their ignorance. Those represent a massive amount of Hillary votes and piss me off just as much as your worst and most ignorant trump supporters.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

El Box de Shoutamente

Last 10 Shouts:

-Unh0ly-

Today at 11:36:11 AM
1 hour and 10 minutes til AI ENHANCED ORIG TEXTURE PAK is done uploading.. its all orig game textures , the ones from r1ch's pak i think .. AI enhanced with topaz gigapixel... stay tuned

Randy

March 30, 2020, 04:01:16 PM
Hello everyone 😈

RyU

March 29, 2020, 11:10:04 PM
hey who dem alias FUCKAS

-Unh0ly-

March 24, 2020, 05:42:49 PM
TEXTURE PAK UPDATE!!!!!

http://unh0ly.wordpress.com

Punk_FAS

March 23, 2020, 06:07:31 PM
That sucks... maybe (probably) that same person that loves to join the DM server with his script/bot (was going by equate last I saw).

Admin

March 23, 2020, 02:12:22 PM
Yes it's a DoS attack

Admin

March 23, 2020, 02:06:20 PM
Might be a Denial of Service attack of some sort. Something is making the DM server take 100% CPU. (Will investigate when I can, at work right now.) Restarting DM server didn't help.

Admin

March 23, 2020, 02:00:18 PM
How strange.

Punk_FAS

March 23, 2020, 01:59:50 PM
netgraph looks pretty normal from what I can tell too. I've taken a number of screenshots with it up - not sure if that's helpful or not.

Show 50 latest
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2020, 08:17:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length