Author Topic: Semper Fi  (Read 4119 times)

Offline Sgt. Dick

• Brobdingnagian Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
Re: Semper Fi
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 07:29:40 PM »
 :yessign: :notworthy:
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Well-Reasoned Argument and/or Conclusion
    Demonstrates Exceptional Knowlege of the Game
    Appears Not to Comprehend Game Fundamentals
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Whoosh! You done missed the joke thar Cletus!
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Preposterously Irrational Arguments
    Blindingly Obvious Logical Fallacies
    Absurd Misconstrual of Scientific Principles or Evidence
    Amazing Conspiracy Theory Bro
    Racist Ignoramus
aka IOU

Offline |iR|Focalor

• Irrepressibly Profuse Member
  • OFFO
    • View Profile
    • Focalor's Lair @ Tastyspleen.net
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 07:40:32 AM »
100 years ago yesterday (July 28th 1914), World War 1 broke out in Europe after the assassination of Franz Ferninand in Sarajevo, the Archduke of Austria and heir to the throne of the Austrian-Hungarian empire. As far as I know, the best estimate of total casualties for the war is 10 million, but it could be as high as 12. TEN MILLION people! All of them dead over the course of a little more than 4 years! At least half of which were killed in brutal trench warfare in a period of a year and a half during which there was a complete stalemate where neither side gained any ground at all. Five million men die... and NOTHING changes! That's insane to consider how a single war could kill so many people so quickly. But it was a new age of warfare with new and improved weapons that made killing large numbers of people so horrifically efficient. And with those new weapons, few had yet to adopt new strategies of warfare. Many were content to line up in the open on the battlefield like in the Dark Ages and charge headlong into endless volleys of oncoming fire.

And consequently, even as horrible as World War 1 was with 10 million lives getting snuffed out, it still doesn't compare to World War 2 which was estimated to have resulted in the deaths of nearly 72 million people. SEVENTY-TWO MILLION INDIVIDUALS ALL KILLED AND DEAD!!! Holy shit!

Today, we consider it an absolute atrocity that nearly 60,000 young American men were killed in the Vietnam War. If we had lost that many men in the first or second Iraq wars, or Afghanistan, or all three combined, the American people would be utterly appalled by such numbers, unable to stomach it, and would have demanded complete and immediate withdrawal from the conflicts.

But just imagine if such a large scale global war broke out today. With the even more advanced weapons that nations have in current times, just imagine how high the death toll could climb. It could eclipse and FAR SURPASS the ludicrously high number of casualties that were a result of World War 2. Some truly scary shit to consider. And with so many nations possessing nuclear capabilities, and each one of those nuclear weapons being so advanced that even the smallest one has the capability of packing 10 to 100 times the punch of the bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki at the end of WWII, it is entirely possible that such a worldwide conflict could result in the total extinction of ALL mankind and all life on this planet. There wouldn't be talk of hundreds of millions of people dead, because no one would be left to talk about it at all.

I start contemplating shit like this and when all is said and done, the only thought I'm left with is... "I have to live on the same planet with other people who are capable of this kind of lunacy? Dude. Not cool." It would be nice to live in a world where none of us had to worry about this kind of thing. And all of us would like to think that at some point, our species will FINALLY come to the realization that we don't HAVE to kill each other and we CAN all get along if we just try hard enough. But taking into consideration the precedent we've set for ourselves by looking at the last 6,000 years of our existence as one single whole thing, one can only come to the conclusion that we are nothing but a violent breed of murderous beings hellbent on conquest and greed.

World peace? Don't hold your fucking breath.

Anyway, I said all that to say this:

There's an EXCELLENT documentary series running on American Heroes Channel (formerly the Military Channel) called Apocalypse - World War I. Most people know all the in's and out's of the Second World War, especially in the European theater. There's TONS of docs on TV all the time about Nazi Germany and Hitler and WWII. But you don't see quite as many about World War 1. This one seems to be very thorough and comprehensive, with tons and tons of decently colorized archival footage, plenty of which you've never seen anywhere else. Saw an episode of it last night. Excellent in my opinion. 10 out of 10.

http://www.ahctv.com/tv-shows/apocalypse-wwi
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 07:47:35 AM by |iR|Focalor »

Offline QuakeDuke

• Swanky Member
  • Spring 2010
    • View Profile
    • Where to find me.
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 08:52:21 AM »

There's an EXCELLENT documentary series running on American Heroes Channel (formerly the Military Channel) called Apocalypse - World War I. Most people know all the in's and out's of the Second World War, especially in the European theater. There's TONS of docs on TV all the time about Nazi Germany and Hitler and WWII. But you don't see quite as many about World War 1. This one seems to be very thorough and comprehensive, with tons and tons of decently colorized archival footage, plenty of which you've never seen anywhere else. Saw an episode of it last night. Excellent in my opinion. 10 out of 10.

Hey thanks for the link. A lot of I & II was still recent history (read still taught as happened chemical warfare and all) when I was in school. It is rare to find decent footage of anything from those time periods.

QD
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
-o)
  /\\
 \_v
 The penguins are coming...         the penguins are coming... mooo mek mek  Running OS X on a Lenovo G550  http://www.pastorcharlie

Offline |iR|Focalor

• OFFO
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 12:04:56 PM »

Hey thanks for the link. A lot of I & II was still recent history (read still taught as happened chemical warfare and all) when I was in school. It is rare to find decent footage of anything from those time periods.

QD

I think they might could've gotten someone better to narrate the series. Dunno who he is. He isn't "terrible" at it, he does the job good enough without having an annoying voice or anything, but he sounds a little too young in my opinion. I've seen other WW2 documentaries where they actually hired celebrities to do narration etc (WWII in HD, narrated by Gary Sinise, with people like Amy Smart, Steve Zahn, etc reading excerpts from various figures memoirs). Someone like Alec Baldwin would've been great. Or at least someone older with more character to their voice.

Anyway, I hope they release a DVD of this series pretty soon whenever it finishes. Wouldn't mind having a copy of it. I wish they would've had great documentaries like this one to watch back when I was in school. I remember the ones we ever watched in history class were boring and were always some ratty old VHS copy of a copy with TERRIBLE audio and video quality from being played year after year after year until the tape turned to dust. And if it wasn't that, it was one of the old reel to reel projectors left over from the 60's. :D

World War 2 which was estimated to have resulted in the deaths of nearly 72 million people.

Just gotta highlight this again. 72 million people killed. With a number that high, you might as well round it down to 70 million. And that's absolutely NUTS that the number is so unbelievably high that you even have the option of calling 2 million dead people a "negligible" number. 72 million women carried children inside them for 9 months only for them all to be killed in one single war. Just think... a football field is pretty big... but how massively huge would the pile be if you stacked 72 MILLION dead bodies into an area that large. That's around 10 BILLION pounds of dead rotting human flesh.

This kinda stuff is why I have so much respect for the older generation that my grandfather was apart of. Vietnam, my fathers generation, was bad enough. But as far as true sacrifice goes, NONE of us have a clue what it's like to live through something like that where millions of Americans are shipped off overseas to kill and suffer and die. Meanwhile, the country had just been through the depths of the Great Depression, and as bad as that was, it was gonna get hundreds of times WORSE if the men fighting overseas failed in their tasks.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 12:24:32 PM by |iR|Focalor »
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline bluemeanies

• Swanky Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 01:12:39 PM »
Currently Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast is doing a great multi-part series on WWI called Blueprint for Armageddon:

http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hharchive

Hardcore History is a great podcast in general, perfect for listening during commute, work, etc. Look for his multi-part series on WWII Eastern Front, the Roman Empire and especially his epic one on the Mongols.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
Quote from: John Kreese
Mercy is for the weak. Here, in the streets, in competition: A man confronts you, he is the enemy. An enemy deserves no mercy.

Offline |iR|Focalor

• OFFO
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 03:50:47 PM »
I'll have to check that out later.

What pisses me off about the History Channel... pretty much everything about it. Years ago when I first switched from cable TV to Dish Network, I was really looking forward to the possibility of all the great educational programming about all kinds of world history. But they hardly ever have anything on there that's actually educational. It's all this Ancient Aliens bullshit, or some kinda ghost hunting show, or American Restoration or Pawn Stars or whatever else. And don't get me wrong, I kinda like Pawn Stars, it's interesting to see the variety of cool, rare, or historical shit that walks into the place from time to time. But even though sometimes people bring in historical artifacts, that doesn't make it the kinda show that I expect to be seeing on a channel called the "HISTORY" Channel. You actually tend to get more history-oriented programming more frequently from the Military Channel (now called American Heroes Channel), which kinda sucks because the only shit they ever cover is war and really nothing else.

Saw something on the Military Channel I think a while back about Ghengis Khan and the Mongol conquest. Fucking amazing to think about how far he actually went and how obscenely immense the Mongol Empire became during his conquests. Something like twice the size of the Soviet Union or better. The Roman Empire at it's peak wasn't nearly as big. Pretty stupid in my opinion though. Sure, annexing that much area means you're more powerful, but it takes a lot to KEEP it, and it's impossible for one small central governing body to rule it successfully for very long. Lo and behold,... they didn't.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

Offline bluemeanies

• Swanky Member
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 10:18:59 AM »
On that podcast, I heard about a letter that Guyuk Khan, one of Ghengis Khan's generals I believe, wrote to Pope Innocent IV. This letter was in response to the Pope's own letter requesting that the invading Mongolian army convert to Christianity. The Pope also took the time to chastize the Mogols and the Khan for going against God's will, etc.

Here's the letter:

"If bearer of this petition reaches you with his own report, you, who are the great Pope, together with all the Princes, must come in person to serve us. At that time, I shall make known all the commands of the Yasa.

Further, you have also said that there would be an advantage for me in accepting baptism. You have imparted this to me, and sent a request to this effect. This your appeal, I have not understood.

Furthermore, you have sent the following message: “You have conquered all the lands of the Hungarians and other Christians. This seems strange to me. Tell me what was their crime” I have also not understood this message of yours. Chinggis Khan and the Great Khan Ögedey have both transmitted the order of the Eternal God that the all the world should be subordinated to the Mongols to be taken note of. But they disregarded God’s order to such an extent that those mentioned by you even held a great council, and they behaved arrogantly in refusing, and they killed our messengers and envoys. Thus the Eternal God Himself has killed and exterminated the people in those countries. How could anybody, without God’s order, merely from his own strength, kill and plunder? And when you go on to say, “I am a Christian, I honor God.” How do you think you know whom God will absolve and in whose favor He will exercise His mercy? How do you think you know that you dare to express such an opinion?

Through the power of God, all empires from the rising of the sun to its setting have been given to us and we own them. How could anyone achieve anything except by God’s order? Now, however, you must say with a sincere heart: “We shall be obedient, we, too, make our strength available. You personally, at the head of the Kings, you shall come, one and all, to pay homage to me and to serve me. Then we shall take note of your submission. If, however, you do not accept God’s order and act against our command, we shall know that you are our enemies.

This is what we make known to you. If you act against it, how then can we know what will happen? Only God knows."
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus
Quote from: John Kreese
Mercy is for the weak. Here, in the streets, in competition: A man confronts you, he is the enemy. An enemy deserves no mercy.

Offline |iR|Focalor

• OFFO
    • View Profile
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2017, 09:31:47 AM »

Like many people, I love watching war documentaries, especially ones about World Wars 1 and 2. I already know the basic timelines of the conflicts and all the more major events of them, but that never spoils the enjoyment of watching these documentaries and possibly learning new things about them. One documentary I'm sure most other WW2 buffs are well familiar with is the Thames produced British 26-part series "The World at War" from the 70's narrated by Laurence Olivier. They constantly play a few episodes from the series on AHC on a damn near daily basis. Anyway, I've never actually seen the whole thing in chronological order, and I doubt AHC would ever show it from start to finish because it isn't new enough and each of the 26 episodes are an hour long, meaning it would take at least 26 hours to show it all. Anyway, I found a place to watch the series online. I've been firing up my XboxOne at bedtime and watching one or two episodes every night through the web browser on there.

https://fmovies.se/film/the-world-at-war.02pmk

It's probably not entirely "legal" to watch this series from this source. If you're familiar with the many "free" streaming movie sites like Putlocker and 123movies, this is the same thing. Some ISP's might slap you for visiting and streaming media from these sites, but I've been using several different ones for several years (as well as torrenting all kinds of things from torrents I've gotten from PirateBay and KickassTorrents etc), and I haven't heard a single peep from my ISP in all this time. So... it's up to you if you wanna watch things from sites like this. It could be a bad idea, or it could be no problem at all. Use your best judgment. If you DO watch from these sites on your Windows PC, USE AN AD-BLOCKER/POP-UP-BLOCKER! They have popups all the time on these sites, and something like AdBlock for Firefox will stop the worst of it.
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Racist Ignoramus

El Box de Shoutamente

Last 10 Shouts:

|iR|Focalor

October 03, 2018, 06:20:37 AM
time to fart

NoBugsOnMe

October 02, 2018, 11:44:02 PM

-=[AZ]=-

September 30, 2018, 04:17:14 PM
Someone needs to do something about the bob{kea} imposter on DM.

2d

September 29, 2018, 03:52:52 PM
 ;)

quadz

September 28, 2018, 05:57:14 PM
Not sure what's causing the slow-forum-loading; but I've seen it sporadically here too.

Will be interested to see if the move to the new (faster) server changes things. (Have a hard deadline of Nov 23rd to move everything over.)

|iR|Focalor

September 25, 2018, 06:21:00 PM
Forums loading slower than a... something that is really slow.

beaver{KEA}

September 20, 2018, 10:42:00 AM
1v1?    IRTDM - Instagib TDM   AntiCheat Enabled   74.86.171.204:27910   tourney   2box4   3 / 16

R. Hayabusa

September 14, 2018, 08:11:30 AM
north carolina getting 40 inches of rain in some parts!

R. Hayabusa

September 10, 2018, 11:37:24 PM
watch out for the hurricane my bruddahs on the south east coast

quadz

September 10, 2018, 06:11:44 PM

Show 50 latest
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2018, 07:05:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length