Author Topic: Morbid Angel  (Read 2040 times)

Offline |iR|Focalor

• Irrepressibly Profuse Member
  • Help Destroy America: VOTE DEMOCRAT
    • View Profile
    • Focalor's Horrible Website: We Rape You Til The Room Stinks
  • Rated:
Morbid Angel
« on: April 22, 2017, 08:16:11 AM »
Hadn't been paying attention to anything Morbid Angel's been doing since... that last album... THAT one... if you know Morbid Angel, you know that one I'm talking about: Illud Divinum Insanus released in 2011. I was pretty excited when I heard that original vocalist/bassist David Vincent was rejoining the band. But then when the album came out and I heard it in it's entirety, I was like... "Dude... What the hell is this shit!?!" Because they've been known since the beginning as being the fastest, most brutal, most evil sounding death metal band out there. And half of the album was exactly what you'd expect from Morbid Angel. Lightning fast double bass drums that sound like a full throttled propeller plane engine, searing speedy riffs that sound like lava flowing out of the guitar, etc etc. But the other songs were just... WHAT THE HELL IS THIS!?! Guitarist Trey Azagtoth has been known to include many weird experimental and ambient tracks to albums that aren't really full songs, they're usually just smaller ideas and tinkerings he did and then wedged them onto the album somewhere just for brief interludes between songs. But some of this crap on Illud Divinum Insanus was just... SOOoooo not what Morbid Angel ever does. Very industrial and disco and almost upbeat radio-friendly pop sounding.

Anyway, so that's why I've been kinda ignoring them. Apparently David Vincent was to blame for those awful songs, and that's probably why he's no longer with the band. So after that experience, I hope he never returns again. The shit he did with the band in the first half of the 90's was awesome. But if that's the kinda shit he's gonna contribute to the band, I prefer if he'd stay the fuck away and stop shitting on my good memories of the bands past.

I looked around online earlier attempting to see if the band had released anything else since that "stuff" in 2011. Found out that yet another original member will most likely never be playing with the band again. The two mainstays in the band has always been guitarist Trey Azagtoth and drummer Pete Sandoval. But it seems as though now Morbid Angel is just Trey and... whoever he decides to tap for the other roles. Pete is out. Apparently Pete has become a born-again Christian. :D

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-morbid-angel-drummer-pete-sandoval-how-i-fell-in-love-with-god/

Pretty surprising. I kinda figured he'd be one of the LAST guys who'd ever join the Jesus fan club. I dunno about the rest of the original band, but I know that David Vincent was a prominent member of the Church of Satan, not sure if he still is or if he resigned at any point, which I doubt he has. And judging from that and the lyrical content of their songs, I'd assume that anyone in the band at any point would be of a similar mindset.

That sucks a lot, though. Over the years, Pete has forged a drumming sound that is unique and instantly recognizable. Many drummers out there could probably join the band and then copy his style verbatim, but then people might think it's really lame that they're obviously plagiarizing his style. When bands replace longtime members like Pete, they typically intentionally avoid hiring anyone that would copy the person they're replacing because it feels disingenuous to the band itself as well as to the fans. Which means Morbid Angel will probably never again sound just like the great Morbid Angel from 1993's Covenant and 1995's Domination.  :raincloud:

See? Why does religion have to fuck the world like this? Hasn't it done enough to make mankind miserable without robbing us of our rock and roll heroes? He says he did it basically because his old lifestyle was killing him. But he might as well be dead already. Because since he's found Jewzus, he's never gonna be in any band that will put out anything worth a shit. He's gone. He's already gone. He'll have nothing meaningful to offer ever again.

If drugs and alcohol was killing him... then just GET FUCKIN' SOBER! I did it. Anyone can do it if they want to bad enough. I didn't need religion to do it. I did it for ME. Ugh. Weak fuckin' people, man. :ohlord:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 08:31:44 AM by |iR|Focalor »
  • Insightful
    Informative
    Funny
    Nice Job / Good Work
    Rock On
    Flawless Logic
    Well-Reasoned Argument and/or Conclusion
    Demonstrates Exceptional Knowlege of the Game
    Appears Not to Comprehend Game Fundamentals
    Frag of the Week
    Frag Hall of Fame
    Jump of the Week
    Jump Hall of Fame
    Best Solution
    Wins The Internet
    Whoosh! You done missed the joke thar Cletus!
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious
    DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    DEMO OR STFU
    Offtopic
    Flamebait
    Redundant
    Factually Challenged
    Preposterously Irrational Arguments
    Blindingly Obvious Logical Fallacies
    Absurd Misconstrual of Scientific Principles or Evidence
    Amazing Conspiracy Theory Bro
    Racist Ignoramus

El Box de Shoutamente

Last 10 Shouts:

|iR|Focalor

Today at 10:55:53 AM
omlette du fromage?

Admin

Today at 07:08:22 AM
fin.

|iR|Focalor

April 22, 2024, 04:27:07 PM
Now it's over. Because I say it's over.

|iR|Focalor

April 22, 2024, 12:39:29 PM
It's over when I say it's over.

|iR|Focalor

April 22, 2024, 11:34:16 AM
Costigan needs a tampon.

Costigan_Q2

April 22, 2024, 02:53:12 AM
This interaction is over.

Costigan_Q2

April 22, 2024, 02:51:20 AM
Will someone please muzzle and leash that barking dog? it's projections and delusions and now endless babbling are comically pitiable, just treat it like you would Beaver - that's what it deserves.

Costigan_Q2

April 22, 2024, 02:50:50 AM
Quake 2 needs a public square.

This is not a debate.

|iR|Focalor

April 21, 2024, 05:36:24 PM
If you were attached to reality, you'd realize that.

Quake 2 needs a private bathroom.

|iR|Focalor

April 21, 2024, 05:34:35 PM
I've never doxed anyone like he did or sent them 1000's of annoying whiny angry messages in all caps like you.

Show 50 latest
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:17:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length